"Calories burned" reading on Fitbit dashboard

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
I have a Charge HR.

What's the point of the Fitbit "Calories burned" reading?

I understand the point of "Calories eaten", but where does Fitbit get your goal for "Calories burned"?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    All I know about the "Calories burned" goal is that it never changes. Mine is the same as it was when I first got my Fitbit, despite the fact that I've lost over 50 pounds since then. As a result it has become increasingly hard to meet that goal every day. Eventually, I'll change it myself I guess, but I don't have a good feel for where to set it. If you sign up for Fitbit's premium service, I think they change it based on the plan you set up, but I haven't felt a need for that.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I just always set it to what my MFP maintenance calories are
  • NancyN795
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I just always set it to what my MFP maintenance calories are

That seems like it would be too low for me. I want it to be a bit of a stretch - something that requires me to get at least some exercise every day to meet it. Right now, though, my Fitbit Adjustment in MFP needs to be well over 800 calories every day to meet my Fitbit calories burned goal. That can be hard to get sometimes.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Calories burned is what it takes for your body to pump blood through out your body, and the energy it takes every time you breathe. There's really nothing you can do to change that part. You can however set the goal for calories burned to account for exercising.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's fitbits guess at what your TDEE may be??
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Looks like we're all a bit puzzled by it!
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's fitbits guess at what your TDEE may be??

Yeah because it reads it based on your current numbers (height, weight, activity level).
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I read up on this in the FitBit help. Seems it starts out measuring your BMR, then it adds calories burned as the day goes on and it measures your activity. So the [basic] display shows how many calories you're burned that day up to that time. This is based on your profile.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    I read up on this in the FitBit help. Seems it starts out measuring your BMR, then it adds calories burned as the day goes on and it measures your activity. So the [basic] display shows how many calories you're burned that day up to that time. This is based on your profile.

Right - calories burned is Fitbit's estimate of your TDEE at the end of the day. The estimate will get lower as your weight decreases, if you maintain the same level of activity.

What I'd like to know is how they came up with my Calories Burned Goal when I first signed up for my Fitbit account. That number never changes unless you go in and do it manually. I'm sure it could be changed to something lower at this point, I just don't know how to come up with a reasonable number.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Right - calories burned is Fitbit's estimate of your TDEE at the end of the day. The estimate will get lower as your weight decreases, if you maintain the same level of activity.

What I'd like to know is how they came up with my Calories Burned Goal when I first signed up for my Fitbit account. That number never changes unless you go in and do it manually. I'm sure it could be changed to something lower at this point, I just don't know how to come up with a reasonable number.

I believe the *goal* is based on an estimate given your age, weight, activity, etc. I manually reset mine in the app by going into Settings/Activity.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

I believe the *goal* is based on an estimate given your age, weight, activity, etc. I manually reset mine in the app by going into Settings/Activity.

I know how to reset it, I just don't know what to reset it to. I know that it is based on age, weight, etc., but I don't know the formula they use. I suppose I could create a whole new Fitbit account with my current stats and see what value it sets it to, but I'm reluctant to do that. In the meantime, I continue striving to meet an increasingly hard to achieve goal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've always suggested look at what your average eating level is that makes you happy enough, not a hard stretch to adhere to, that you'll be successful with.
    Add your deficit for weight loss - make the result your Calories Burned Goal.

Sadly as Nancy mentions and you lose weight - gotta lower the eating level, or increase the activity level, or smarter to lower the deficit amount. (yes, I know you've done that!)

In reading through this thread - you can tell several are talking about different things. OP asked about the Goal part of it.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I've always suggested look at what your average eating level is that makes you happy enough, not a hard stretch to adhere to, that you'll be successful with.
    Add your deficit for weight loss - make the result your Calories Burned Goal.

Sadly as Nancy mentions and you lose weight - gotta lower the eating level, or increase the activity level, or smarter to lower the deficit amount. (yes, I know you've done that!)

In reading through this thread - you can tell several are talking about different things. OP asked about the Goal part of it.

I think that's what I probably should do. If I take the eating level that I am generally happy at and add in the deficit I want to have, I could lower my goal enough to make it still a bit of a stretch but not so hard as it is now.
  • pjmuise
    pjmuise Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This explanation might help in explaining it but then again it might not.
    It was a reply I received from MFP support

You burn a fair number of calories over the course of the day just by sustaining your normal bodily functions. Our estimate for how many calories you will burn is based on your weight, age, gender, and the activity level you report in your profile. From this, we subtract an amount of calories so that you will be at a deficit every day if you eat your calorie goal. Thus, you will lose weight because your body will need to burn some of its stored fat to make up the difference. We show this goal as your NetCalorie goal, and you are essentially counting down to zero from this goal, every time you log food that you've eaten.

If you log exercise, this represents EXTRA burned calories that our estimate of your normal activity has not accounted for. Because our goal is to keep you at a steady, healthy, sustainable amount of weight loss, you "earn back" these exercise calories as additional calories to eat. Exercising is like making a deposit in your calorie account. You make the withdrawal by eating. Because our initial calculation ALREADY puts you in a weight loss deficit, eating "back" the calories you exercised will not slow your weight loss, but it will nourish your body which is depleted after burning the extra calories. So, your calorie goal on our site starts at a number that counts down to zero as you eat, but exercise that you record pushes that number back up a bit, so that you don't undernourish your body.

The Fitbit site counts UP from zero, as it calculates how many calories you have burned over the course of a day. If, when our two sites compare their information, it seems that you are being more active on a given day than our general estimate takes into account, you "earn" those extra calories as well. Again, the goal here is to keep you at a healthy, steady calorie deficit. The relationship between our site and the Fitbit site takes into account any exercise you record. If, beyond our initial estimate of your calorie goal, and the exercise you log, the Fitbit shows that you are being more active than we expected, then you earn those extra calories back. If Fitbit reports that you are being less active than we expected, you will see a "negative" calorie adjustment that will lower your Net Calorie goal.

Because our site is counting down from a goal number to zero, and the fitbit.com site is counting UP from zero, you will never actually see, on our site, the number of calories that you see on the Fitbit site. What you will see is the anticipated DIFFERENCE between what you're burning in Fitbit's tracking of your movement, and what we expected you to burn based on our estimate, recorded as an exercise. The adjustment represents our projection of your calorie adjustment for the entire remainder of the day. As you are more or less active, the adjustment will become more precise. We base the projection on your activity level early in the day, and "assume" you will be "as active" the rest of the day. If this proves not to be the case based on later updates from the Fitbit device, we'll raise or lower your adjustment to fine tune it.

It is important to be sure that your profile information on our site and the fitbit.com site matches, in terms of your height, weight, age, gender, etc. so that the Fitbit is calculating your caloric burn as accurately as possible.

Details about the calculation of any adjustment can be viewed by clicking the small "i" next to the adjustment in your Exercise Diary (on the full website) or by tapping the adjustment itself in the Exercise Diary of the latest versions of the MyFitnessPal iPhone or Android app.

By default, MyFitnessPal will show you only positive calorie adjustments. To permit negative adjustments, log in to the full MyFitnessPal site at http://www.myfitnesspal.com and click "My Home" then "Settings" then "Diary Settings." Check the box for "Enable Negative Adjustments" then click "Save Changes"

If you are typically unable to sync your device until late in the day, you may wish to leave negative adjustments "off."

If you would like to read more about our integration with Fitbit trackers, the full set of articles is here: myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/171439-fitbit-tracker-integration/articles

Regards,
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you want real number examples of how that works - read the FAQ in the stickies - 2nd half.