Being 0.9 away from overweight on the bmi scale

Options
zumbagirl2526
zumbagirl2526 Posts: 30 Member
Hello all!

I understand this groups dynamics all too well. I have always been sort of inbetween looking even at my biggest. I have a naturally muscular tone and medium build, so it makes it even harder to gain support on my fitness journey to be my tonest and healthiest yet.

Anyone in this same predicament that is being told that you are not overweight you are just big boned because you don't fit the overweight/obesity mode?

Replies

• tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    No I'm in the opposite category . Healthy range bmi but high body fat%. When I started this journey I was 114lbs but 30% BF and under 5ft Eek.

Like all measurements bmi only tells part of the story. Get to know your body and forget what everyone else says or thinks. Even me!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I keep track of my BMI because my scale calculates it, but it's not very important compared to my weight, my body fat percentage, my muscle percentage, and my measurements. It's a very rough guide.

My problem is in the other direction. I'm small-boned. I believe I am healthiest and look best at a BMI that is considered borderline underweight. The system doesn't sufficiently take into account my frame size.
  • sourface75
    sourface75 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Totally same situation. Perfectly normal BMI & very fit, but body fat has gone from 26% to 32%, mainly because I stopped worrying about it. It's either stay on top of these things or buy a whole new wardrobe.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    People don't even tell me I'm overweight anymore...and I'm 1.2 lbs over the top of the healthy BMI range, so I feel you. I have a really muscular (also medium) build but I still have obvious (well, to me) fat. Ignore them, reward yourself for doing well, and move on. If you're where you want to be, what others think or say doesn't matter.