Evening cravings

Options
Kdooms5
Kdooms5 Posts: 16 Member
I just started low carb. I'm eating primarily meat, veggies and some dairy. I have great days but in the afternoons and evenings the headaches and cravings for sweets start. I am 6 months post 2 back to back
Pregnancies in which I did indulge in a small sweet treat at night which has become a habit . Any tips to get over the hump so my cravings are reduced?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There are basically two schools of thought here. You could up your fats when you have cravings and ignore all sweet things...within a couple of weeks the cravings should stop. Or you could save enough carbs for a sweet treat in the evenings. I usually have a square of 90% chocolate with a spoonful of unsweetened peanut, cashew, or almond butter in the evenings. It doesn't seem to increase cravings for me.

There is an active topic about artificial sweeteners and why you might want to eliminate those. They could contribute to your cravings!

Edited to add that hot tea with heavy cream makes for a good evening snack as well!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I literally just made a post about this same issue. They said we'll just have to eat something salty and fatty and ride it out. It gets better if we stay strong --- I hope. Lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The cravings will go away; but I admit I keep sugar free candy around the house. Often I eat it not because I crave sweet but because Rowdy is eating ice cream or the girls are eating cookies, or, or, or...and I want to be a part of the group - peer pressure I put on myself at its finest.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, the headaches may also be due to electrolyte imbalance and if you are not getting at least 5000mg of salt daily, upping your salt intake will help with that.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do decaf coffee with heavy whipping cream and a little sugar free vanilla creamer in the evenings. I leave myself enough carbs for that. I also have chocolate peanut butter fat bombs most days and occasionally a sugar free cheesecake type dessert. This might be slowing down my weight loss, but I am still losing and I feel happier when I can have something sweet, even if it is artificial. That's just me tho. Many people swear off all of it.
  • dragonflylady94
    dragonflylady94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make a single serve fat bomb and put it into 9 little candy molds...I grab a piece whenever I want something sweet. It has saved me often!!

1 TBSP Cocoa 100%
    1 TBSP Natural Nut Butter
    1 TBSP Coconut Oil
    1 TBSP Grass Fed Butter

Melt it together and freeze for 15-20 minutes.

Sweeten to taste...sometimes I also add in a bit of coffee or sugar free flavor, too :D
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The habit of eating is hard to overcome!

When thanking a wonderful member here for their awesome mentorship last year I was told that I was the one who was, "Making the choice", to be here, and do this!! This became my mantra, and got me through (still does!) the habit cravings! We all have to make the choice for ourselves! Best of luck with making it for yourself! :smiley:
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Things I keep on hand to control snack attacks in the evening:
    Pork rinds- for a crunchy salty snack (bbq is the only flavor I can tolerate)
    Sugar free jello- put some heavy cream on top! Yummy!
    Lc cheesecake- better than ice cream in my opinion
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,422 Member
    Options
    I also like a little something sweet at the end of they day and I will just have a tiny piece of dark chocolate. The darkest the better, less carbs :)