Weekend fall off

Options
Cash8217
Cash8217 Posts: 6 Member
Why is it that being at social events makes me lose all self control??

Even after losing 3 lbs I still had like 5 cookies and a slice of cake at a cookout yesterday. I went into the cookout with the thought of not giving in and welp....that all went out the window.

The guilt that follows me after a slip up is so miserable and powerful, it's wild. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you all come back from a major sugar slip up?
Thanks.

Replies

• McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    In the past I found that the reasons why I did those things was that I was sabotaging my own success because of some emotional issues and also because I found that I would feel anxious about the attention that I would receive when I refused the food that was offered so I'd just eat it rather than possible answering questions about my diet. Now I have the confidence to refuse the food and also don't ever feel the need to explain my choices. Occasionally I will pack my own treat if I feel as though might cave and I make sure that I eat ahead of time.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    In a way I guess celiac disease is a blessing in disguise because there usually isn't much at social gatherings that I can eat and if there is it usually pretty low carb friendly. I scope out things like nuts, meat and cheese trays, or veggie trays. Though honestly I have noticed over time that even though you feel conspicuous not eating most of the time no one really notices what or if you eat!

I'd advise to just to forget this little slip and get right back on plan. You might need more electrolytes for a couple of days and somehow it seems to help to get a little extra fat for a few days to fight any carb cravings that may have been awakened.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to lose the immense guilt you have after a slip up. You're human, we all make little mistakes along the way. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and carry on. You can't change the past and harbouring negative feelings about what you did is just going to make you miserable, which will weaken your will power, and make you less likely to stay on plan going forward. It's life, we all fall off from time to time.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with the bringing your own food to social situations, it's been what made the difference for me.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    please don't feel guilty, you need to be kinder to yourself, if you are anything like me you will be taking the long route - I know occasionally I am going to slip up, but instead of beating myself up I am learning to accept it and move forward doing what I am loving and I am hoping the further into this journey I go the easier it will get to not eat the foods that I know do not agree with me
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, just log it and pick things up the next day. We all face tough situations and stumble, heck that's the reason I've been slowly losing rather than dropping weight quick like some others, but as long as the trend is downward I'm ok with that.

Bunless burgers, chicken legs/wings, beef jerky, veggies and dressing for dip, and salads (not potato!) have all been my go to's for social gatherings. BBQs are very keto/LC friendly.
  • Cash8217
    Cash8217 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. This is exactly what I needed to hear in order to motivate me to jump back on the Keto wagon. Positive vibes all day long :-)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead for social situations (e.g., saving the limited carbs I eat for food at the event), bringing my own food to share (as appropriate for the gathering) or consume inconspicuously, if possible, has made all the difference for me. And, learning not to dwell on any slipups has been important, too. With family and close friends, it's gotten to the point that they expect me to bring healthy treats and my grandchildren, in particular, look forward to sharing them with me.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as @anglyn1 since I have almost immediate physical response to carbs (even some veggies) in that I get headaches, and GI distress, runny nose.... So, avoidance is easy for me because of this. Is a blessing in disguise since it keeps me in control of food choices. I go for the meat, and cheese, if available or I don't eat anything. Most of my friends are aware of how I eat now, so I don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings if it's not on plan for me. They all understand that's it's the way it makes me feel, and not just the deprivation that they consider it to be (my family considers it to be depriving myself even though I've explained it to them).

I like the post above about being able to tolerate these events when thin too! Everyone doesn't have the pain response that I do, so I imagine avoidance of these available foods is harder! Chalk it up to a fun social event, and get back on the wagon! It can be done as long as you don't make it a daily event! Good luck to you!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    First, I agree with everyone on the guilt, it does NO GOOD and only harms us so why dwell on what we cannot change? Now, I focus on what I will do better in the next situation :) I don't ever go hungry to ANY event, that means even the grocery store lol Since I'm diabetic and most of my friends and family know this about me, they are understanding if I don't partake in sugary stuff. I stick to meat, cheese and if I absolutely need something sweet, i go for fruit, during this time there are usually strawberries at the bbq. I stay far far away from the sweets table lol.
    This WOE has really taught me what REAL hunger vs MIND hunger is. I honestly believe our minds play so many tricks on us when it comes to eating "forbidden" foods. And I've come to accept that I have a medical condition in which sugar and carbs are DANGEROUS for me to eat and will severely impact my life if I do not manage it. Hope this helps, sorry if my post is all over the place!