5:2 Intermittent fast

Options
MzKrystle
MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
Ok, I'm going to try this out Monday and Thursday. So 500 calories is all I get tomorrow. Should be interesting:) Anyone else want to try it?

Replies

• LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi MzKrystle!

I'm so glad you posted this! I was just looking for some people to fast with.
    I'm training for the Montreal Oasis Rock 'n' Rolls Marathon that will be held on September 25th this year. I need to lose 9 pounds in order to improve my PR.
    Anyway, I read so much about fasting twice a week and how healthy it is for the body and brain, so I will definitely join you. I may be challenging for me as I'll be runnin about 250km next month.
    Questions for you: For how long will you do it? Are you trying to adopt the 5:2 as your new diet routine? What is you calorie limit on the days that you don't fast?

Feel free to add me!

Liz
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My friend does intermittent fasting, but he doesn't limit his calories he just fasts for the first 8 hours (ish?) of the day and then eats. I kinda did this last week by accident, and ate 500 to 750 calories a few days. Going to do some research on the 5:2 diet. I'm not completely sold that fasting is healthy or that it works but interested to see results!
    I lift weights so I can't limit myself TOOOO much :)
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh and feel free to add me too!
  • MzKrystle
    Options
    Hi MzKrystle!

I'm so glad you posted this! I was just looking for some people to fast with.
    I'm training for the Montreal Oasis Rock 'n' Rolls Marathon that will be held on September 25th this year. I need to lose 9 pounds in order to improve my PR.
    Anyway, I read so much about fasting twice a week and how healthy it is for the body and brain, so I will definitely join you. I may be challenging for me as I'll be runnin about 250km next month.
    Questions for you: For how long will you do it? Are you trying to adopt the 5:2 as your new diet routine? What is you calorie limit on the days that you don't fast?

Feel free to add me!

Liz

Hi! Since this is my first time trying this, I will do it for a few weeks and see how my body responds. From there, if there are no issues and I'm feeling good, I will try and stick with it for awhile. I think it's completely doable. On the days that I'm not fasting, my calorie intake is pretty low, around 1200 calories. I'm still trying to lose 10lbs. Once I get to my goal weight, I will up my calories for maintenance.
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My friend does intermittent fasting, but he doesn't limit his calories he just fasts for the first 8 hours (ish?) of the day and then eats. I kinda did this last week by accident, and ate 500 to 750 calories a few days. Going to do some research on the 5:2 diet. I'm not completely sold that fasting is healthy or that it works but interested to see results!

The 5:2 schedule has been researched for years with lab rats. The most important trends are higher metabolism, longer life and increased brain activity.

• MzKrystle
    Options
    So that was interesting. I was definitely hungry but it was doable. I woke up in the middle of the night with a bad headache and feel a bit off this morning. Not sure if that has to do with the fast or not. Just ate an egg and feel a little better. Went down a pound but that's just water. Going to try this again on Thursday.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am a big fan of IF. I combine 5:2 and 18:6 together. It takes a few to get used to it, but my body loves it. I also think 18:6 makes 5:2 so much easier.

@LittleCulturedPearl ( I know you didn't ask me, but I am going to answer :) ) I feel great after a fasted workout, and it accelerates fat adaptation. I plan on doing 18:6 for the rest of my life especially since I am not a big breakfast eater. On 5:2 my calorie intake is 500, on the other days it's my TDEE.
  • MzKrystle
    Options
    Ok, I'm doing it for the second time today! Definitely going to stick with the 5:2. Monday and Thursday makes he most sense.
  • anukriti25
    anukriti25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my 2nd day fast week 1. Wasn't that bad. What is 18:6?
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    @anukriti25
    18:6 is just about timing, not calorie restriction. I don't eat until 5pm and have a 6 hour eating window for the health benefits associated with a longer fast without food. It also has trained my body not be hungry until then.

It is not necessary for weight loss though. I do it to manage hunger and for the longer term affects of autophagy, which is your body's way of cleaning house. If you are first starting out, I recommend just sticking with 5:2 until you have it down. Doing too much would be overwhelming.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options

BBC program on fasting by a journalist with a medical degree.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    MzKrystle wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to try this out Monday and Thursday. So 500 calories is all I get tomorrow. Should be interesting:) Anyone else want to try it?

I like the video and materials by the journalist (with an M.D. degree) who popularized this approach, but right now when doing IF I tend to do a 14/10 or 16/8 fast/eating window.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For those of you who want to know more about intermittent fasting (and other aspects of nutrition and obesity), you might want to take a look at Dr. Jason Fung's blog, with an extensive archive. He has also written some books on these topics. Very readable, great insights. I am interesting in the whole fasting idea, but have not gotten myself to a place (yet) where I'm willing to try it...