Living the Lifestyle - Tues., July 26th

Options
60in2017
60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Today's topic - I think most of us came over from the Weight Watcher's (WW) site, though I've seen some new names. Not sure if those are WW transfers with new monikers or new board members. ANYWAY - I've seen a lot of posts on WW from people who said that without the message boards, their membership in WW has no meaning to them, or they're mad at WW, or for whatever reason they are dropping their membership with the loss of the boards.

SO - My question is 2 or 3 fold. If you're dropping your membership, is there anything you're going to miss about WW or their website? Are you still following the program or doing something else? If you're keeping your membership, what's keeping you with the loss of the community section? What about WW is making you stick with it with all the drama/changes going on?

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,023 Member
    Options
    60in2017 wrote: »
    If you're dropping your membership, is there anything you're going to miss about WW or their website? Are you still following the program or doing something else? If you're keeping your membership, what's keeping you with the loss of the community section? What about WW is making you stick with it with all the drama/changes going on?

I will miss post-stalking and the ability to spot threads I'd posted on - that's what I'll miss from the WW message boards.

The last three questions roll up to one issue for me - WW works, and it makes sense to me. It gives me the ability to make my own choices about my intake while "nudging" me toward healthy choices. I think the latest round moved from nudges to pushes, but I can still deal with it.

And ultimately I'll probably go back to meetings, because they help.

But the community was and is important to me. I gained a lot of insight from veterans, and fit it to my own life. I like being able to "regift" that knowledge to others after running it through the filter of my own experience. That ability to share means having a vibrant community with new members, since sharing my insight with Steve and Cindy and Steve-O (who are among those who provided insight) isn't a valuable exercise for either of us.

"Charlie from New England"
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking with WW.

The meetings and the accountability of having someone else weight me in on a regular basis are what make me stay. I've tried to lose weight on my own, and have failed. I have a great leader and a great meeting group. They provide me with F2F accountability - if I say I'm going to track everyday, someone will ask me if I've done it. Almost every week, I come away with something to think about or something to put into practice. The points system works well for me. No matter what variation is currently in place, if I track and stay within my points, I lose. I just don't do it consistently enough, which has nothing to do with WW.

The GOAD board has provided consistent day-to-day support and has helped change my thinking regarding many weight loss myths. I'm glad this group has moved and reorganized. There is a lot of wisdom represented here!
  • susan092907
    susan092907 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I first joined WW when I was 19 years old in 1971. Since then, I've been on and off, became Lifetime in 1990, was still on and off, got to goal 2 times more after that, was still on and off, and got to goal for the 4th time. I've tried every program they've had since I first joined.

I never learned to maintain until I became involved with the WW boards, especially the maintenance board. I always felt that WW was weak on maintenance. It was the advice and shared experience of the maintainers that showed me how to do it. I'm maintaining for the first time ever now, and it's been 5 1/2 years so far.

Things changed for me in three ways. At some point the meetings changed, or at least they did for me. Maybe after 40-45 years of meetings I felt I was no longer getting what I needed. I also felt that I became more educated and more experienced about weight management in a way that WW could no longer give me anything more. Then the website changed and also the plan changed to smartpoints. I tried really hard to make both of those work. I tried for 3 months. But I couldn't make sense of either. At that point I switched to MFP.

I've moved with the WW message boards that I participate in to Proforums and also to here since I track here. I still weigh in once a month at a WW center and stay for that meeting. I get a voucher each month and enter it for free etools. I have a free etools account now that extends until March 2021. I hope that the plan will change again to one that works better for me, and then I'll go back to WW. But I'm feeling more and more distanced from WW as time goes on.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of weight watchers, and I do truly miss the meetings and the sense of in person community. I like hearing peoples stories, struggles, and accomplishments. However, I just can't justify the price, especially since Smart Points is not a workable plan for me (as a highly active individual not eating my APs is a quick pathway to binge-city).

Luckily I have MFP and the boards here to help me lose my last few "vanity pounds" and transition back into maintenance, all for free :)
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I had already left WW when I joined this board. I came here after going to the old WW message boards and finding out that you all had moved over here. I gained so many valuable tools from discussions in GoaD that I was pumped about moving over here. Now that I'm back to mindful eating, I'm evaluating whether or not I need to go to meetings.

The accountability did make a difference from me in the past. The only problem for me is that the dynamics of the group changed from when I used to go and now it is almost all women and much more discussion about foods and recipes than about the underlying issues that have to be dealt with.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    I think WW was absolutely amazing for where I was when I first joined. I needed some structure in my approach to weight-loss, and WW did a great job providing that structure. I hold no ill will based on that.

The blessing and the curse of WW, though, is its success in helping folks lose weight. Once I lost weight, and kept it off for a while, it felt like WW wasn't really offering me anything else. Sure there was the occasional discussion of maintaining weight-loss at my face-to-face meetings, but they were few and far between. Even if they were frequent, I'm guessing that there just isn't that much to say about maintaining weight-loss, as it mostly boils down to "keep doing what you've been doing."

I stopped going to WW meetings, and stopped bothering with etools, etc. I learned how to manage my weight (mostly) without counting points/calories.

The one thing I *do* miss about WW is the boards back at the time when they were more "vigorous." I felt like I had a group of cyber-friends who were all in it together. The discussions usually revolved around weight-management, but because everyone kinda got to know one-another, those discussions included insights that could only really occur when you've interacted for a long time.

I still hang-around for the value of interacting with folks who have been on the same path with me for a long time, and for the newer folks who seem to "get it." It's nice to be more introspective and try to strip away the denials and falsehoods that we all tell ourselves. It's nice to show your warts, so to speak, and have folks who "get-it" help you process things. It's also nice to help others work through the same processing, partly because it's nice to help once in a while, but also because sometimes I also gain insight into myself through that processing.

Maybe this is a bit of a tangential perspective, and for that I apologize. The point, though, is that WW was an "on-ramp" for me, but now I like cruising down the highway.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,316 Member
    Options
    I have very few issues with WW, the program. It's always been pretty solid stuff. But, frankly, I am not going to miss a lot about the program. I have already found the same guidance available for free. I don't care whether I am counting points or tracking calories. Solid nutritional guidance is what I am after.

For me, the decision to leave was purely financial.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My eTools is paid up through 2021, so there it is. Like Steve-0, I have modified much of how I accomplish weight management over the years. Like Charlie, I do like the structure and since I know it so well, it's still a usable tool for me. So, yes. And, no.

For more, go here: https://countcurtblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/16/baby-meet-bathwater/
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my membership before the announcement about the boards going away -- I wasn't attending FTF meetings and I switched to tracking on a different app which tracked more than just calories/points (at doc's suggestion). I would have stuck around on the boards, though, if they weren't being shut down.

I'll miss the hottub thread, and the Schendlar thread, and (as Charlie mentioned), the post-stalking and easily returning to threads on which I had posted. But the program itself? I'm not sure what I miss, if anything. I guess the recipes were useful at times, but now there's so many websites where I can get recipes, I don't need WW-specific ones. And some of the Tools for Living were helpful... but having read them , I am (imperfectly) incorporating them into my strategies and don't need to keep paying WW to be able to read them again.

Murple
  • TimDumez
    TimDumez Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents, I'm sticking with WW. Why? Because each of the 3 times I've used their plan, I lost/lose weight, lots of weight. But each of the times that I left, I allowed or caused the weight to come back. I'm also sticking with GoaD. Why? Because of the invaluable support that I have/do receive from people like Cindy, Big Steve, Steve-O, Charlie, and many others who have offered sage advice on the GoaD board. Also, most of those who offer help, do so in a tough but not "holier-than-thou" attitude. And I am really thankful that, though they've been maintaining for many years, they stick around to help people like me.....
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    60in2017 wrote: »
    If you're dropping your membership, is there anything you're going to miss about WW or their website? Are you still following the program or doing something else? If you're keeping your membership, what's keeping you with the loss of the community section? What about WW is making you stick with it with all the drama/changes going on?

Since we didn't need a membership to use the WW boards, the loss of them doesn't affect my membership (I attend meetings). I will miss some of the board features. It just seemed easier to navigate them, but I'll adjust to MFP.

I am still following the WW program, but since I'm spending time here at MFP, I'm double tracking. I was curious what my eating looks like from a calorie perspective, and I've already found that even though I eat a lot of fruit, my calorie intake is in range according to MFP calculations.

I'm staying with WW because it has worked for me in the past, so there's no reason to think it won't in the future. I also love the maintenance program they have set up and that I can attend meetings for free once I'm at goal.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm lifetime thus sticking with WW, I think I would even if I were still a paying loser. I like the new program and now that things settled down I like the website and app. I like the new plan because on points plus (the program I lost all my weight on) I could not lose the 12 lbs that I added over the course of 1.5 years while injured and recovering. When Beyond the Scale came I got back to goal in about 5 months. And dare I say, I actually find the new community on Connect OK too. Different but still provides the things I like...feeling "I'm not in it alone." - Food finds - Recipes - Humor - some Wisdom. I don't post often, but I have a group of folks I follow that give me some good insights etc.
  • KATGIRLNC1972
    KATGIRLNC1972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking with WW because I've proven enough times to myself that I struggle on my own. I like using the Connect tool, although it can be a little one-dimensional (ultra positive); I like the balance that the GOAD board provided...and will provide on MFP. I think it'll be even better with less restrictions on what we can say. Is there an edit function??
  • crewahl
    Options
    Kat - look for a gear symbol next to your post. You can edit for up to one hour after the initial post.
  • KATGIRLNC1972
    Options
    I see it!!! Yeah!!!
  • KATGIRLNC1972
    Options
    See, I'm looking right at it!
  • crewahl
    Options
    LOL - yes, you are.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,596 Member
    Options
    I started tracking on MFP and WW when the app and site was going through "the change". I liked the MFP app and site (and price) alot more than WWs. After two months on Smart Points after discussing with my leader, I dropped my monthly membership and now drop in once a month to the Lifetime meeting which I find helpful since it is more of a interactive lifestyle discussion around a circle. I still use smart points as a secondary tracker, but often find it rather restrictive. The idea of calories in and out with an eye on nutrients makes more sense. But the WW approach is pretty well ingrained and that I do follow. Once I get back to goal we shall see.

I do miss the weekly meetings with my leader, but not at the price WW was charging packaged with low grade etools compared to other options. The old lively GoaD board has been gone for a while and I have adjusted. I do miss it. But I have also taken some responsibility and tried to put more into the new GoaD reality over the last couple months.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I still go to my meeting when I'm in Chicago, 10 yrs now. If not for the meeting, I would have gained over my goal weight to ? Who knows? But because I attend the meeting, when I had to draw the line, I held it. But its free. I don't count points. Was never much for the online tracker, but at one time I needed the web site to research and calculate points. Noting there I need enough to pay.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am sticking with the program for tracking, recipes, success stories - pretty much everything else that's on the website. What I will miss is a small thing - the numbers under most of our screen names that give beginning weight, current weight and goal weight. I find those inspiring - especially if I'm reading a post from someone, look over and see how much progress they've made. I also like seeing my numbers every time I post - it lets me see how far I've come and how far I have to go.