beginner! starting training today!

Options
amber6108
amber6108 Posts: 53 Member
Hello!
I'm a beginner and have never done a lot of running--or even jogging. I've attempted C25K multiple times but never followed through. I just downloaded an app for half marathon training and I'm looking forward to completing it and want to sign up for a race! Would love some friends for encouragement and helpful tips!

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's beginner half training app would be a good tool to use if you don't have much experience. Good luck.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you've never done any race before: I think you should find a local 5K that is about 2 months away and sign up NOW...then do the C25K program as training leading up to the 5K race (or use your 1/2 marathon program if it incorporates the 5K program at the beginning).

You need a short-term goal to get you focused on training. It's amazing how your mind and body will commit when you put your name and cash on the line.
  • amber6108
    amber6108 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You are right I've never done a race. I half a half marathon program that's just like c25k just a little harder. I will search for a 5k today! I'm moving but don't know when exactly so it's hard to say where my area will be but I think ill find one in the area I'm moving to, can always drive up there for it! Thanks! There is an 8 miler May 4th that I'd like to do so I'm hoping that even though I won't be done with my half marathon training I can still do the 8 miles....

I'm assuming you've never done any race before: I think you should find a local 5K that is about 2 months away and sign up NOW...then do the C25K program as training leading up to the 5K race (or use your 1/2 marathon program if it incorporates the 5K program at the beginning).

You need a short-term goal to get you focused on training. It's amazing how your mind and body will commit when you put your name and cash on the line.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You are right I've never done a race. I half a half marathon program that's just like c25k just a little harder. I will search for a 5k today! I'm moving but don't know when exactly so it's hard to say where my area will be but I think ill find one in the area I'm moving to, can always drive up there for it! Thanks! There is an 8 miler May 4th that I'd like to do so I'm hoping that even though I won't be done with my half marathon training I can still do the 8 miles...

Take a look in your 1\2 marathon training program and see if it puts your weekly 'long run' of 8 miles near the time of the May race; if so...and you are determined to sticking with your training plan...you should be good to go. Doing a 5K before then would be ideal though to give you a taste of what it's like to stick with your training plan, test your plan's outcome (were you adequately prepared physically, mentally & nutritionally), and prep for and finish a race.

Also keep in mind that training for a 1\2 marathon requires a commitment of your time & energy. If you believe your life is 'busy' now...be prepared to choose what you are going to give up to carve out the time & effort (& finances, if that's an issue) to realize your goal.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Did you pick a half yet? It is good to do a 5k, or even a 10k, during your training
  • ciccia123
    ciccia123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good on you! I'm training for a half too. I have never run before...what app do you use?cheers. Oh if you have done the marathon how did it go?
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    amber6108 wrote: »
    You are right I've never done a race. I half a half marathon program that's just like c25k just a little harder. I will search for a 5k today! I'm moving but don't know when exactly so it's hard to say where my area will be but I think ill find one in the area I'm moving to, can always drive up there for it! Thanks! There is an 8 miler May 4th that I'd like to do so I'm hoping that even though I won't be done with my half marathon training I can still do the 8 miles....
    I recommend you apply for a refund (or transfer). Makes no sense to start HM training if you haven't been able to follow through with multiple C25K training programs.

Perhaps you are thinking the longer distance makes you more likely to stick to your commitment. Perhaps, but there are so many offsetting risks - such as the risk of injury from ramping up too quickly, injuries that you won't recognize or will ignore, etc.