Low carb bbq sauce

Options
ktilton70130
ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
I could not find low carb bbq sauce today at the whole foods today and traders Joe isn't open yet where else could I go

Replies

• dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Stubb's Original BBQ sauce has like 6 grams of carbs per 2 T and you can get that at most grocery stores.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Stubb's Original BBQ sauce has like 6 grams of carbs per 2 T and you can get that at most grocery stores.

Stubb's in the one that I use too. I think Annie's Organic is also comparable.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    uuuqdqiz889p.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you I'll look for these I believe I saw Anne's today but felt like 6g was a lot don't judge me lol but I'm will look again on Saturday
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    3/8 cup vinegar
    1 1/2 cup tomato sauce. (1 15 oz can) Don't buy a tomato sauce that has spices or flavorings in it!
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoon yellow hot dog mustard
    3/4 tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce (the chicken wing sauce)
    3/4 tablespoon salt (optional)
    1 dash cayenne pepper. Go easy!!!!
    3 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops of Liquid Splenda

Add vinegar and all other ingredients except mustard to a sauce pan and slowly heat. Put mustard in a cup and slowly stir in a couple tablespoons of sauce until well blended. Then add mustard mixture back to sauce in pan.

Bring to a boil, and lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is still hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an ounce is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    3/8 cup vinegar
    1 1/2 cup tomato sauce. (1 15 oz can) Don't buy a tomato sauce that has spices or flavorings in it!
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoon yellow hot dog mustard
    3/4 tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce (the chicken wing sauce)
    3/4 tablespoon salt (optional)
    1 dash cayenne pepper. Go easy!!!!
    3 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops of Liquid Splenda

Add vinegar and all other ingredients except mustard to a sauce pan and slowly heat. Put mustard in a cup and slowly stir in a couple tablespoons of sauce until well blended. Then add mustard mixture back to sauce in pan.

Bring to a boil, and lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is still hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an ounce is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories.

I make this one - my husband prefers it - but I always use a tomato sauce that does have spices added and it turns out OK (just in case you have difficult [or cost difficulty; this is my issue lol] with finding a tomato sauce without added spices! Muir Glen makes one without spices, but it is $2 per can more than the store brand that does have spices added. I just can't make my frugal self pull that trigger haha!!)

My favorite one is the Copycat Paula Deen SF BBQ Sauce from Up Late Anyway:

Gather
    • ¾ cup Heinz reduced sugar ketchup (192 grams)
    • ½ cup water
    • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
    • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
    • 1 ½ tablespoons Colgin mesquite liquid smoke
    • ½ tsp xanthan gum (to thicken)
    • 2 teaspoons paprika
    • 1 tsp onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon pepper
    • ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    • ½ tsp cinnamon
    • ¾ cup sugar equivalent. I used 4 ½ tsp truvia and ¼ tsp EZsweet. (technically that means it's ½ cup sugar equivalent plus 3.5 tablespoons, so it's just shy of ¾ cup however you can sweeten this to taste as well.)

Prepare
    1. Combine ketchup, water, vinegar, worcestershire, lemon juice, mustard, and liquid smoke in a sauce pan over medium heat.
    2. Once the sauce starts to heat up add xanthan gum and whisk very quickly until all of the gum is incorporated.
    3. Add in spices and sweetener.
    4. Let cool and store in a squeeze bottle or jar.

Notes
    **Update: I tried this with all Truvia last week and was very unhappy with the results. I recommend the measurements I have here for the two sweeteners or else using ALL liquid sweetener for this recipe.**
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have an allergy to mustard so I've always made my own barbecue sauce. Recipe similar to those posted, except sub some horseradish for the mustard and add a little smoked paprika or smoky chipotle . Something magical does happen after a few hour in the fridge!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of traditional BBQ sauce so I always used my mom's recipe which has oil, cider vinegar, an egg, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. While I mainly use it for chicken, I have also used it as a marinade for steak and pork loin.