Overtraining

Options
timg760
timg760 Posts: 115 Member
Is anyone familiar with the mechanism by which overtraining causes mood issues such as anxiety, depression, irritability, etc? Is it hormones being out of whack, or something else? I've been poking around, but I am wondering if anyone knows this off the top of their head.

Just curious.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My understanding, as an herbalist not a fitness person, is that stress overstimulates the adrenal glands and causes the cascading avalanche of problems - poor sleep and hormone imbalance being the primary two which will impact just about everything else in your body, moods, anxiety, immune response, inflammation, digestion, etc.

The adrenal glands are designed for survival - for rare usage when you need to run away from a tiger or swim a flooded river or deal with intense trauma. However, in today's world stress usually comes from many non-emergency things and the adrenal glands are not designed to be constantly stimulated. Exercise is stress, some stress is good, too much is not good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    timg760 wrote: »
    Is anyone familiar with the mechanism by which overtraining causes mood issues such as anxiety, depression, irritability, etc? Is it hormones being out of whack, or something else? I've been poking around, but I am wondering if anyone knows this off the top of their head.

Just curious.

How much are you training? Generally, the people I notice who experience those issues fall into two categories: 1. those who aggressively cut calories (so hangry) and 2. those who are really low on dietary fat (fat is a hormone regulator).
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    How much are you training? Generally, the people I notice who experience those issues fall into two categories: 1. those who aggressively cut calories (so hangry) and 2. those who are really low on dietary fat (fat is a hormone regulator).

I am not currently experiencing overtraining symptoms. However, i currently train 4 days a week using 5-3-1 with a single assistance exercise on training days.

I DID recently experience a few symptoms, after which i reduced assistance volume by about 50% (these spreadsheets don't take into account the user's age!!) and took a couple weeks off... followed by the next 5-3-1 cycle, interrupted by a cruise after the second week... came back, repeated the 2nd week (easy) and just completed week 3 of the cycle with no issues. Prior to feeling overtrained, I hadn't taken a break outside of the built-in 5-3-1 deload week, and i was too aggressively pursuing the assistance work (which i need, but not nearly as much as i was doing).