Seriously thinking about Quitting low carb! I need some motivation!!

Jlan11
Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member
I'm well into week 3 of low carbs(less than 30g/day). I have already lost 10lbs, so I know that eating low carb works. It's just that I'm really tired of not having more food options! I'm already so sick of eggs! I just want to have a big bowl of cereal! I'm really questioning whether or not I can stick with this long term? I love that I have given up sugar, and I hope I can never go back to processed sugary junk, but I'm really craving fruit! I was originally planning to go at least 3-6 months on less than 30g of carbs, but now I am starting to think about adding them back after one month. I have 60lbs to lose, so I'm wondering if I will still lose enough weight if I add carbs back?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Why are you eating just eggs? Are you lacto-ovo vegetarian?

If so, you can eat avocados for your fat and nuts. Eat some cheese.

Pescatarian? Fish is your friend for protein - add butter or cream sauce for your fats.

Meat eater? - fatty cuts of beef and poultry are great. Bacon is awesome. Even if you like leaner cuts, you can add fat to it.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    My suggestion would be to check out the thread on what low carb meals look like -- it's here on the forum somewhere, probably close to page one. That should get your appetite working!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Sometimes that "wanting" of carbs is the need for a bit more fat, and sometimes it is a need for more salt. If you find yourself thinking a lot about those foods, try increasing fat and salt and see if it helps.

I would skip eggs for a while too. I am off eggs right now too. I think I last had eggs in May. Now bacon on the other hand.... LOL
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to check out the thread on what low carb meals look like -- it's here on the forum somewhere, probably close to page one. That should get your appetite working!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like/p27
  • Jlan11
    Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member

Pescatarian? Fish is your friend for protein - add butter or cream sauce for your fats.

Meat eater? - fatty cuts of beef and poultry are great. Bacon is awesome. Even if you like leaner cuts, you can add fat to it.

Eggs are just one example of something I eat frequently that I am sick of. I eat eggs for breakfast everyday, and I have tried them in many different ways.

The only foods that I avoid are the foods that do not meet low carb requirements. I usually have 2-3 servings of low carb vegetables daily. I mostly eat eggs, cheese, and chicken and other animal protein sources.
    I'm just ready to add back fruits and then eventually healthy grains. I'm hoping to always keep carbs below 100g/day when I reach maintenance.

I'm just wondering how long I should stick with eating less than 30g of carbs daily? I have between 60-70lbs left to lose. Any advice and motivation is appreciated!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    If you want to fit in fruit, you can go higher than 30g.

Everyone works better with a different number. Maybe experiment with a week at 60g and add in some fruit.

Low carb is considered 150g or less per day.

Some people work better with higher numbers because they feel less restricted and some work better with lower numbers to keep cravings at bay and to keep blood sugar levels down.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    jlangton10 wrote: »

Eggs are just one example of something I eat frequently that I am sick of. I eat eggs for breakfast everyday, and I have tried them in many different ways.

The only foods that I avoid are the foods that do not meet low carb requirements. I usually have 2-3 servings of low carb vegetables daily. I mostly eat eggs, cheese, and chicken and other animal protein sources.
    I'm just ready to add back fruits and then eventually healthy grains. I'm hoping to always keep carbs below 100g/day when I reach maintenance.

I'm just wondering how long I should stick with eating less than 30g of carbs daily? I have between 60-70lbs left to lose. Any advice and motivation is appreciated!

I make a few different things for breakfast and still stay in ketosis

Mixed berries with full fat Greek yogurt and toasted nuts and seeds on top
    Smoked salmon / smoked mackerel
    A 'muesli' made from seeds, nuts, coconut flakes and almond milk
    2 minute English muffin recipe with lashings of butter and a smidge of sugar free jam
    Almond flour pancakes

There are many different ideas not involving eggs!!

If you are on Pinterest - feel free to follow me, I have many Keto recipe boards you can raid - my username on there is becwaahh

It's individual what you would choose to eat and how if affects your body, but after some of the stuff I have read researching this woe, I would say there is maybe no such thing as a 'healthy' grain!

• 1004srs
    1004srs Posts: 5 Member
    I've started the 2 weeks diet doctor thing from his website. For breakfast I had a yummy bacon, mushroom, cheese omelet, lunch was pork chops with a compound butter and a salad, supper is pesto chicken casserole. If nothing else, it will give me some new lc recipes. DOn't give up...
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    When I'm craving something, I'll Google it but add "keto" in. Like "keto sushi" for example, there's usually really good recipes for everything that's keto friendly. Even keto pancakes and waffles... I feel the opposite, that there's a ton of options for keto if you are creative enough.
    Last night I made cinnamon sugar breadsticks that were only 3carbs
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    I hear you. Cereal is my ice cream lol. I struggle a lot with my carb in take. I aspire to be at 50g but I really struggle to stay there. I just keep trying though!
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Try going up like 10 grams of carbs every few weeks. See how you feel and if you are still losing. Find the carb count that works for you. But try to give it enough time between every step up to make an informed decision before giving up. Many people do better on more carbs. Keto is not the only way to lose weight. It just helps to control cravings if you keep your carbs low. Some people do fine on a CICO diet, but many don't because they just get hungry.

As far as the cravings, take note of when and why you get them. Did you have an artificial sweetener? Did you wait too long between meals? Did you have an adequate amount of fat?
    Many things can trigger a craving.

Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    Perhaps you should not be so low carb? Not everyone needs, or wants to be, as low carb as you are. There are many around here who do better with "higher" low carb of 100-150g of carbs. Some go even higher but keep their carbs "slow carb". If you aren't going to be happy without fruit and grains, you may want to eat them. Start with berries. Instead of "healthy grains" (a misnomer for me) try doing some baking with coconut or almond flour, and maybe use flax meal too.

For someone like me, I don't feel good on higher carbs, yet I still include berries and the occassional slice of melon or other fruit. I skip grains, because they are at best nutritionally neutral for me, but some fruit is in my diet.

If you aren't happy, you may not last on this woe. It may be best to find a way to make LCHF work for you. Keto is not needed for weight loss. It helps many of us, especially those with health issues, but for the rest it can often be skipped.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Are you eating lots of vegetables? Are you eating a wide variety of foods? Are you eating berries?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    My daughter has just recently decided to go LCHF too and just yesterday she said "I'm tired of eating eggs for breakfast, Mom". So we had "the talk". There are so many options for foods that we just don't think about sometimes. The suggestion to google with keto in the phrase is a great idea. I think she sometimes doesn't think that eating a carb is ok. Her carb goal is 106 g or less so I suggested she eat one of my favorites - grits! She ate grits with 2 T of butter, a cut up string cheese and salt. She LOVED it! I personally won't eat that because my carb goal is so much lower but she now realizes that she can step outside the bacon and egg arena, so to speak. I'd kill for a bowl of grits and I took a tiny taste of hers - dumb idea....I was all of a sudden starving. I also reminded her that breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food, per se. It can be anything she wants.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    My daughter has just recently decided to go LCHF too and just yesterday she said "I'm tired of eating eggs for breakfast, Mom". So we had "the talk". There are so many options for foods that we just don't think about sometimes. The suggestion to google with keto in the phrase is a great idea. I think she sometimes doesn't think that eating a carb is ok. Her carb goal is 106 g or less so I suggested she eat one of my favorites - grits! She ate grits with 2 T of butter, a cut up string cheese and salt. She LOVED it! I personally won't eat that because my carb goal is so much lower but she now realizes that she can step outside the bacon and egg arena, so to speak. I'd kill for a bowl of grits and I took a tiny taste of hers - dumb idea....I was all of a sudden starving. I also reminded her that breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food, per se. It can be anything she wants.

What are grits?? Is it a cereal?
  • nvmomketo
    becwana wrote: »

I think it is like a corn porridge. We (western Canada) don't see grits much... or ever. I had to google it when I first heard of it. I thought it was a hashbrown dish at first. :)
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think it is like a corn porridge. We (western Canada) don't see grits much... or ever. I had to google it when I first heard of it. I thought it was a hashbrown dish at first. :)

Lol west Kootenays of BC here. Never heard of grits ;)
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    yes it's like a corn porridge of sorts it's delicious kinda like cream of wheat but better lol
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member

Grits are made from corn - ummm...they are more ground than hominy. Some like em with sugar, others butter and salt. It's a Southern thing here in the U.S. Not a lot of people from the Eastern states know what it is.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I'm on the east coast. We eat plenty of grits in North Carolina!