Weighing in every day

Options
aserrano79
aserrano79 Posts: 36 Member
I'm a weigher. I can't help myself. I weigh in and record my weight every day. Are there any other scale addicts? It just amazes me how my weight fluctuates daily. It has never been this dramatic on other diets I have tried. Is it all the protein? I'm just mystified how it jumps up and down. Anybody else? Anyone know why it is happening?
(I know I should not get on that scale everyday, but it's like those ketone sticks, I can't help myself

Replies

• Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have been over the whole of July - but have challenged myself to not weigh for the next month as I was getting too obsessive over the numbers
  • aserrano79
    aserrano79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the will power for that! I only do my measurements once a month. That is progress for me :D Now the only problem is peeing on those sticks! the first time it turned purple my hubby almost lost it! He thought I was Pregnant! hahahahaha.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days but not everyday. I do nt feel ruled by it though. I tend to have an up before a down and my overall trend is down at the end of the month so I know that even though the little spike ups happen at the end of the month I'm down. I don't worry about the ups. I weigh and check where I was a month ago and look at that loss vs where I was a few days ago.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm an every day weigher too! I really like the app Happy Scale, which smooths out all of the fluctuations so you can see the overall trend.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who weighs daily and sees almost no fluctuations anymore? My best guess is that since I am VLC, I have very high water cycling, and minimal glycogen stores to worry about holding water. My weight is almost exactly the same, every morning since I started working maintenance. It might switch one day per week, from 151.2, to 151.5, and then right back the next day.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I weigh and note it twice each morning being a 65 yo male. The doctors seem to like to know I can sleep through the night and output a quart/liter each morning without effort.

My weight typically stays in an 8 pound range. While I have lost 50 pounds eating LCHF pain manage has been my main goal.

Weighing each day is how I count calories and weigh my food. While no one can compute their CICO weighing each day gives me the net results of my CICO. :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who weighs daily and sees almost no fluctuations anymore? My best guess is that since I am VLC, I have very high water cycling, and minimal glycogen stores to worry about holding water. My weight is almost exactly the same, every morning since I started working maintenance. It might switch one day per week, from 151.2, to 151.5, and then right back the next day.

I weigh daily too, and also see very little in the way of unexpected fluctuations. If I eat on plan, my weight never fluctuates more than a pound up, unless ive gone on a big hike and have inflammation. Thats one of the reasons i weigh daily, so that i really understand how my body reacts to various changes. Interestingly, stress seams to be the biggest factor in my weight fluctuations, other than having a total carb freak out, of course. i actually lose weight during my ToM and will gain it right back afterward, so i never count those losses - but i might not understand that trend if i didnt weigh daily.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just started weighing in daily because I will be going into maintenance soon. Prior to that I weighed in only once a week or once every other week. I track the fluctuations with an app called happy scale. It gives you a "true weight" based on average. I alway gain 2 lbs exactly at TOM and it takes about 5 days to see the scale go down after that. Bodies are weird though.

• dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    NOOO! I am even thinking about cutting my weekly weigh in down to the 1st of each month. I hate stressing about weight. It can derail your eating big time. Like oh well, I gained a lb so might as well eat this bag of Oreos! :D
    For me, it's easier to look at the big picture...just be healthy. Besides, I don't plan on changing up my woe; goal or no goal
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    I'm an every day weigher too! I really like the app Happy Scale, which smooths out all of the fluctuations so you can see the overall trend.

I use a web site called trendweight.com. There are no bells and whistles per se. It syncs through my Fitbit account, which is linked to MFP. So I plug in my daily weight here, and it shows up there. If I had a newer phone, my scale would Bluetooth the weight for me. Anyway, it helps me see the overall trend and not stress about daily fluctuations. I look at it like this: If I am a weekly or bi-weekly weigher, and I happen to experience a big upward fluctuation on the chosen weigh-in day for whatever reason, it could really discourage me. By weighing every day, I see the fluctuations as they happen, and can compare to my diary to see what might have caused it. And if it sticks around for a few days, I still see the downward trend to keep me motivated.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Here is a screen shot of my trendweight account. Ok, so you can see my actual weigh ins in one column and my trend weight in the other. So, even though my actual weight today was the same as a couple of weeks ago, you can see that my overall trend is down from two weeks ago. I find it helpful.

aiiu2qmdqe6l.png
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    NOOO! I am even thinking about cutting my weekly weigh in down to the 1st of each month. I hate stressing about weight. It can derail your eating big time. Like oh well, I gained a lb so might as well eat this bag of Oreos! :D
    For me, it's easier to look at the big picture...just be healthy. Besides, I don't plan on changing up my woe; goal or no goal

I think the decision about when to weigh should definitely be based on how you react to those numbers and how that number impacts your choices. I never stress about the number on the scale, no matter what direction it goes. And if I was up a pound, I'd be more likely NOT to eat the pack of Oreos. I don't beat myself up over the number, its just another daily stat I monitor, like my blood sugar, calories and macros. But, that's being said, I have big numbers to lose, this is a long journey for me, so there's no point in me stressing about a pound here and there, I just like to have the information available to monitor my health changes.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    redimock wrote: »

I use a web site called trendweight.com. There are no bells and whistles per se. It syncs through my Fitbit account, which is linked to MFP. So I plug in my daily weight here, and it shows up there. If I had a newer phone, my scale would Bluetooth the weight for me. Anyway, it helps me see the overall trend and not stress about daily fluctuations. I look at it like this: If I am a weekly or bi-weekly weigher, and I happen to experience a big upward fluctuation on the chosen weigh-in day for whatever reason, it could really discourage me. By weighing every day, I see the fluctuations as they happen, and can compare to my diary to see what might have caused it. And if it sticks around for a few days, I still see the downward trend to keep me motivated.

That's awesome! Thinking about getting a Fitbit one if these days. It syncs with everything. So cool. Great job ... a lb a week is incredible progress!
  • scottaking
    scottaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I think the decision about when to weigh should definitely be based on how you react to those numbers and how that number impacts your choices.

^This right here. To some, weighing everyday may be detrimental to one's determination. To others, it really is just a number. Personally, I am an everyday weigher. I've been lucky enough that almost every day is a loss. But when it's not, I don't feel disappointed or have any second thoughts about my woe. This isn't the same for everyone. Some may interpret a bad weigh-in as a time to "take a break" or quit altogether.

I got into extremely low carb (I sometimes have 0 net days) for weight reasons. While it has worked (28.8 pounds in 30 days!), it is not why I choose to stay on this diet. Energy levels and mental clarity are amazing for me with this woe. I will never go back, so a scale doesn't scare me.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I suggested my daughter weigh or measure or take a picture so she can see changes as they happen and she flat refuses. She said any sort of "watching" will make her obsess over it and she doesn't want to do that. I said "then you shouldn't weigh, measure or take a photo." Me? I have to get on the scale to stay motivated. A loss motivates me like crazy; a gain motivates me to do better and if I maintain? That kinda makes me sad. I've also learned that during that time I don't log because I always gain around those two weeks. I pay attention and get on the scale but it's almost false if I log the gain because I lose it and usually a little more the following week.
  • golfgirl99
    golfgirl99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly everyday. If I'm up I'm irritated and its motivation to stay on track. If I'm down its positive reinforcement to keep on track. Strange I know but it seems to work for me.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Every once in a while I will forget though.
    My weight typically stays in an 8 pound range.

The same is true for me and even though I'm now in maintenance my weight can and does regularly fluctuate up and down sometimes as much as 8 pounds in any given week...but I know from tracking my weight over the nearly 2 years now that, at least for me, this fluctuation always appears to be nothing but water weight so it doesn't really bother me much anymore.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's definitely different for everyone. I started keto in June, and weigh in once a week, same time, same weekday, after I wake, empty my bladder, and remove my clothing.

The numbers most important to me are my blood glucose readings/HgbA1c, blood pressure, and lipids. The weight just comes off and I worry only about my health.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, twice a day because it fascinates me. But I only record once a week.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh twice a day....Once first thing in the morning when I wake up and right before bed. I often say I'm not going to, but I never can seem to keep from doing it. It's a definite habit. However...I have been doing it this way so long I am used to the fact that my weight may fluctuate a couple of pounds here and there so it doesn't freak me out.

I think it just makes my brain think I'm being accountable! :)