Hungry! - What keeps you full?

Options
13»

Replies

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am no help whatsoever, because I always feel slightly hungry. I've just gotten used to it. *shrugs*
  • chelseamoberg13
    chelseamoberg13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had that problem for a while too. Since switching over to eating more whole foods & less diet foods I don't have that issue anymore. I define diet foods as low/no fat, reduced calorie, 100 calorie pack etc style foods. l me up & then I get all hangry... Instead I pick portion controlled whole fat items. I also make a point of eating more anytime that I exercise.

My weight fluctuations have evened out too since switching which is nice!

80% of the time I eat:

Oatmeal + nuts + frozen fruit for breakfast (typically 3/4 cup dry old fashioned oats, 1 tsp nuts, & 1 cup frozen fruit). This normally tides me over until at least 11 if not noon.

Snacks: One or two of the following 1/8 C almonds, 1 Cheese Stick, 1/2 C Cottage Cheese + 1/2 C Frozen Fruit, An Apple, 1/4 lb of carrots, 1oz Pretzels, 1 C grapes

Lunch: Leftovers or a baked sweet potato or 1/2 an avocado on whole wheat toast + a fruit or veggie if I am still hungry

Snacks: One or two of the following 1/8 C almonds, 1 Cheese Stick, 1/2 C Cottage Cheese + 1/2 C Frozen Fruit, An Apple, 1/4 lb of carrots, 1oz Pretzels, 1 C grapes

Dinner: variety but always focus on having a large amount of protein & non starchy veggies.

The big thing is to eat often enough that your hunger doesn't make you "stupid" & to pick things that fill you. I will choose cheese over an apple if I am hungrier because I know the cheese will keep me filled longer.

Good luck!
  • SeafBecca
    SeafBecca Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of chunky peanut butter does the trick for me.
  • reckless1976mj
    reckless1976mj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a keto girl, and fat is your answer. Good, healthy fats. Most of my calories come from fat and I don't get the munchies between meals. I've been keto for over 2 years, and didn't make the switch lightly or misinformed. Go take a peek at my food diary...
    Also, lots of good info on the lifestyle out there. I'd be happy to answer questions too!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There's no way I can live on less than 2000 cals a day, even when cutting. Building up muscle revved up my metabolism and to maintain, I can easily eat 2200 and above calories. I watch my macros, 40-30-30. Eating enough protein is quite helpful and not going more than2 or 3 hours without eating.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
    Group Eat More 2 Weigh Less on MFP
    www.em2wl.com/results
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Best thing I can say is to drink a lot of water. Sometimes your body thinks that being thirsty is actually being hungry, when it's not. If you stay super hydrated, your stomach will also feel fuller when you do eat. Trust me it works!
  • Silveya
    Silveya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I mention this a lot and it's weird but, watermelon. When it is in season. Vit C, lots of water, natural sugars (although a lot of them), very low calories. I eat approximately a cup of it, almost as a desert after certain meals. It makes whatever I just ate seem a lot more filling and it's delicious! Also makes me happy when I am craving something sweet but I do not have the extra calories to spare..
  • whoisadriane
    whoisadriane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I keep my meals small, so I can "graze". For instance: I have a long commute, so, I chop breakfast in half, and eat some before my drive and the rest at work (while my co-workers are scarfing theirs down as well).

Yogurt was my go to but I cut out dairy to see if it clears my acne (almost 3 weeks in and not too shabby). So, boiled eggs are my goto for a protein fix. That or a bit of avocado.

When I'm ravenous and want to bulk eat, however, I prefer banana or cantaloupe. I'll eat an entire melon in one sitting, and get the satisfaction of feeling overly full without damaging my Calorie Count.
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Silveya wrote: »
    I mention this a lot and it's weird but, watermelon. When it is in season. Vit C, lots of water, natural sugars (although a lot of them), very low calories. I eat approximately a cup of it, almost as a desert after certain meals. It makes whatever I just ate seem a lot more filling and it's delicious! Also makes me happy when I am craving something sweet but I do not have the extra calories to spare..

YES! Watermelon is my absolute GO TO!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider is how much sleep are you getting? If you don't get enough, your body's natural "I'm full" mechanism doesn't kick in and you're constantly hungry. I wonder if that's not a contributing factor if you've tried higher protein and whole grain foods and still you feel so hungry.

You also may just need to eat 6 small meals per day instead of the regular breakfast - lunch - dinner.
  • 5K85
    5K85 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cereal with blue berries
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    It's zero hour. You're home from work, you've eaten dinner, you've eaten your snack, and you've eaten your emergency snack...anything more and you're going to go overbudget on calories. What's a girl to do?

The other suggestions (greens, protein) are awesome during the day, but my biggest struggle comes at night, so that's what my suggestions focus on.

(1) Do a "hunger check." Are you hungry enough to eat a bag of carrots, or do you want ice cream? If it's the latter, suck it up. You're not hungry.
    (2) Drink water. A liter of it or more, and let it sit for 20 minutes. Read a book or watch TV while it's settling so you aren't tempted to move toward the kitchen.
    (3) If you pass through steps (1) and (2) and are still starving, eat. I keep a tub of sugarless jello (40 calories) and cucumbers (40 calories ish, each) and pick one, depending on if I want something sweet or not.
    (4) After eating, let it sit for 20 minutes. Distract yourself.
    (5) If this doesn't stop the binge, eat whatever it is you're craving and put the calories on the next day. It's easier to cut down at breakfast (or lunch) than it is to deny yourself food when you feel like you're literally starving.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Some really great ideas here! The only idea I can put forth that might resonate with some others among you is that eating sugary treats sets me up for failure. Health/protein bars are just like candy bars for me, so I avoid all the snacky/processed stuff like that. Treats like this are trigger foods for me, likewise bread items. If I get them out of my system, I'm much more likely to (1) feel better, and (2) able to eat reasonably and within my caloric goal over time. I eat oatmeal for breakfast, fruit and veg for lunch with carefully-weighed peanut butter, and a big salad with lots of veg, along with protein (egg, tuna, etc.). I rarely go out to a restaurant (maybe 4 times a year). I am not normally hungry between meals, so I don't often snack. If I do, it would be a piece of fruit. I still have managed to put back on about 8 lbs in the last two years! I attribute that to the fact that I stopped logging food daily, as a rebellion against the constant vigilance. I would like to get this good habit back but have to get my head into the right place...
  • sourface75
    sourface75 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to keep my macros 40/30/30 at every meal, as it is fantastic for avoiding snacking and keeping me full. I just feel a lot better compared to when I tried high fat/low carb or low fat. So for me, if I am REALLY craving a sweet treat, I have an affogato - 1 shot of espresso and 1decent scoop of sugar free ice-cream. It is 92 calories, feels super indulgent and pretty much fits my macros perfectly. I have decaf late night if needed.
  • Sicasooca
    Sicasooca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of luck with the oikos triple zero yogurt! The only downside is that it has a bit of a stevia aftertaste.
  • GoRocket
    GoRocket Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read the one about cottage cheese and tomatoes - I will try that one. Also the idea of eating more frequently is good too. I keep an easy salad in the fridge. cucumber and red onions in rice vinegar. You can sprinkle roasted sesame seeds too.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps me full.
  • gruythuyzen
    gruythuyzen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some of these ideas are so good! I find I had the same problem but after testing (many, many, many) different options I find these work the best for either a meal (if paired with something else) or a snack.
    - Hard boiled eggs
    - avocado and some crackers with siracha and some light laughing cow cheese if you have the calories.
    - overnight oats with peanut butter and banana
    - eggs in the morning for breakfast or an egg with avocado and whole wheat toast
    - my three ingredient granola bars keep me going when I'm really hungry
    - Source yogurt or piece of cheese
    - half a cucumber
    - grape tomatoes
    - really any vegetable since I try to make that my "go to"
    - nuts!
  • KathrynPaulineWilkinson
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (transitioning to vegan) and I found that starting my day with a good meal really keeps my full. I usually drink fresh juice early in the morning, get ready, then eat a good amount of fruit with either oatmeal or toast. I try to add chia seeds, flax seeds, or a nut butter to it to give me extra protein and healthy fats. This usually keeps me full until lunch. My snacks usually include more fruit or carrots. I also like to snack on nuts and seeds.

• sarahstills2
    sarahstills2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that what has helped me the most in combating hunger is managing how I eat my carbs. I find that if I eat oatmeal and peanut butter in the morning, I am starving almost less than an hour later. I think it is because that high amount of carbs gives me a rush and then when my insulin kicks in because of all the carbs I am crashing soon after. This leaves me super hungry and eating even more carbs.

I have found that since I have went to a lower carb diet that I don't feel as hungry as often. For breakfast I eat lots of protein and just a small amount of carbs. ( 1 oz of banana, or 1 slice of Ezekiel bread). Then for lunch and Dinner I eat about 2 oz of carbs.

Also if I decide to eat carbs, I always pair it with protein. This has really worked for me and I am no longer starving all day and fantasizing about eating mac N cheese.

I also drink about 2.5 liters of water a day too.