Any DS'ers here doing LCHF / Keto?

Options
Tonya_me
Tonya_me Posts: 28 Member
I've had a DS (Duodenal Switch wt loss surgery). Is there anybody else here that's doing LCHF / keto who has had a DS? I'd love to share and hear your experiences.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Duodenal Switch but I am a Roux en Y pt. I've had great success with Keto. I posted something very similar to this when I first came here too, looking for others "like me". Not many of us, but there are a few. I also don't have my Gall Bladder by the way. I didn't go through the Keto Flu and I think that was because of the copious amounts of vitamins I have to take because of the surgery. I have no trouble eating high fat even with the missing GB. I feel like I was a successful surgical pt - went from 363 lbs to 194. Then bounced up to 260 this last year. My surgery was in 2003. The 260 brought me here and LCHF. I'm down 34 lbs now and I'm aiming for 190.
  • spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2004. All was going well until health issues rendered me inactive & I regained weight. I also don't have a gall bladder. I've not been doing keto quite a month yet & I seem to be doing well. I did have keto flu for a couple days. Right now my biggest issue is no appetite & not being able to finish my food. I'm told it's probably because I'm in ketosis.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have had a VSG (Sleeve), and I am a regular lurker in here :) There are specific groups for WLS (I belong to a VSG group too) and I assume RNY or DS as well? Search the groups. I get a lot from both groups - VSG and LCHF! They go together pretty well.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My bestie had WLS surgery and her doc put her on a very low carb diet before and after, she was my biggest inspiration for going VLC after trying to eat around 100 g carbs a day for years with minimal weight loss success. She has lost a bit faster than me, but she's also had to work a lot harder having had surgery as she has a lot more challenges to cope with.
  • Tonya_me
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for you feedback. I had my DS in 2011 (end of 2010). I lost from 298 to my lowest stable wt of 183. But, after that, the wt slowly crept on, a lb here and there, and now I'm up to about 225.

One of the challenges I'm facing as a DS wls pt is that according to the data I've been able to find, I absorb about only 20% of the fat that I take in. Because of this, I've been wondering how other DS'ers handle going LCHF. I did manage to go low carb at one point but when I realized how few calories I was getting in due to the malabsorption of my DS, I really started pushing fat to compensate. I had learned that eating too much protein could cause issues (raising glucose, and I think it bothered my kidneys), so I pushed fat as hard as I could. I eventually did go into ketosis but my breath was SO BAD that I quickly ate myself out of it. I was mortified and didn't want to put my coworkers through that. It was BAD. But, I work from home now and am going to try low carb again.

As I move back in the LCHF (keto) lifestyle, I've been curious as to how other DS'ers handle it with absorbing so little fat. But, even if there aren't any other DS'ers who can chime in, I'll gladly enjoy sharing info and stories with everyone else. (I will check the DS board as well.)
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    @Toyna_me - with the fat - I'm the same way with my RnY. I am missing the part of my intestine that absorbs stuff which is why I take sooooo many vitamins. I haven't noticed any breath effects or other negative effects like expelling excess fat in the bathroom. Maybe building up to keto slowly would help your DS body adapt?
  • Tonya_me
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @RowdysLady , that's what I'm hoping. I'll just transition slowly. One, if I try to force it, cravings will win and I'll fail. And second, I do want to give my body a chance to transition into it slowly. I've just been making it my focus to buy and use more and more foods that are low carb -- cucumbers, avocados, cabbage, mushrooms, etc, and let achieving lower carb #'s happen naturally via the things I'm putting on my plate. Today, I've managed to get my fat up over 200 grams, and I've managed to keep my carbs well below 100 (around 60 at the moment, but the night's not over). This is by far the most successful day I've had yet since returning to low carb!

Do you have a fat goal that you strive for to ensure you're getting enough cals in?
  • Tonya_me
    Options
    I'm on my way to a second day of lower carb eating. I'm at 47 grams so far for the day, and my carb-head is really talking to me. I'm so glad I decided to take this slow. I know I'll eat more carbs before the end of the day, and if I do, I will just take it in stride. I know that this will take me some time. I've been such a heavy carb eater, especially sugar.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    @Tonya_me I am usually low on fat actually. I was just looking at that today. But I want to be at 70 to 75%. I fill up fast these days and recently dropped my calories because I was way under most nights.
  • Tonya_me
    Options
    @rowdyslady Do you have any fat malabsorption? And, do you compensate in the amount of fat you take in to compensate for it?

I'm getting closer to 100 grams of carbs for the day and I feel better than I did earlier. Like I've said, I'm game to take this really slow and to let my body get used to the lower and lower carb #.

As for me and fat, I am way way way low from what I figure it will need to be when I actually start achieving low carb #'s. I'm thinking that I'll need to get in between 500 and 700 grams of fat a day, and I'm just not sure how to make that happen (I presumably malabsorb about 80% of my fat intake.)
  • Tonya_me
    Options
    Well, my carbs are still far from low, but I do appear to have started the wt loss process! I'm surprised that it has started even though I got in more than 100 carbs yesterday (ended the night with a big glass of milk and some prunes--was craving those carbs!). Overall, depending on where I started from, there's a chance I'm down about 6 lbs. I didn't weigh myself right away, but I'd been bouncing below and above 225 for quite some time.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    Tonya_me wrote: »
    @rowdyslady Do you have any fat malabsorption? And, do you compensate in the amount of fat you take in to compensate for it?

I'm getting closer to 100 grams of carbs for the day and I feel better than I did earlier. Like I've said, I'm game to take this really slow and to let my body get used to the lower and lower carb #.

As for me and fat, I am way way way low from what I figure it will need to be when I actually start achieving low carb #'s. I'm thinking that I'll need to get in between 500 and 700 grams of fat a day, and I'm just not sure how to make that happen (I presumably malabsorb about 80% of my fat intake.)

I do have malabsorbtion with fats. I Don't compensate. I eat fats for satiety. I rarely hey them all in each day. What matters most to me is that my carbs stay low enough that I'm in ketosis. I add butter to my foods. I drink BPC. I eat higher fat meats. I don't have to absorb the fats to feel full. I just need em to keep me full and not crave carbs
  • Tonya_me
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I do have malabsorbtion with fats. I Don't compensate. I eat fats for satiety. I rarely hey them all in each day. What matters most to me is that my carbs stay low enough that I'm in ketosis. I add butter to my foods. I drink BPC. I eat higher fat meats. I don't have to absorb the fats to feel full. I just need em to keep me full and not crave carbs

For me, if I'm not getting in many carbs, it's hard to get in enough calories for the day. Here's the absorption #'s I've seen online: 60% absorption of protein, 20% absorption of fat, and 60-100% absorption of carbs (simple carbs being closer to 100%). So, when I cut out carbs, it's hard for me to get in enough calories. I don't know how much healing the gut does after surgery, so my absorption #'s might be different than those. But, it's why I worry so much about getting in enough fat. If my protein is moderate and my carbs are low, my calorie intake becomes too low without wagon loads of fat. Still trying to find the sweet spot in terms of feeling like I've given myself sufficient calories while keeping carbs down.

Right now I'm out of avocados. Miss those avocados! Those seem to be such a perfect balance!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm a weight loss surgery patient too. I found that returning to my old way of eating was a huge mistake! I learned that I had to change what I eat to keep the weight off. No surgery was ever going to do this for me! LCHF seems to agree with me in every way! I haven't had any problems nutritionally, so far. But I take all, and then some, supplements that are recommended!
  • Tonya_me
    Options
    @Karlottap Which surgery did you have? Yep, me too on the eating. Dipping my hand into the carbs is what has been putting the lbs on me.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I had a sleeve, but refluxed bile terribly and had a conversion to RNY. Carbs are far too easy to eat, and cause weight gain! I haven't been successful with weight loss until eliminating then from my diet! They will be gone, for good!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just a question, since I have zero experience with bariatric surgery and don't personally know anyone who's had it...
    Is there a real need to worry about getting your dietary fat levels up so high if you want your body to use the stored fat?
    Seriously interested.... not being snarky.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Just a question, since I have zero experience with bariatric surgery and don't personally know anyone who's had it...
    Is there a real need to worry about getting your dietary fat levels up so high if you want your body to use the stored fat?
    Seriously interested.... not being snarky.

I was thinking that too - I would think just eating fat to satiety as you would want to use the stored fat on your body as an energy source?? I would also wonder if there is a need to compensate with more food to get more calories? After the surgery were you given a higher calorie diet to compensate for the malabsorption or told to just eat normal amount? Might be done more research needed? As above I have no experience but it just would seem counter-productive to just eat more to replace what's lost if the point of the surgery was to create that deficit in the first place?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I believe there was a transition to become fat adapted. In the beginning I needed more fat to create the satiety needed to sustain LCHF. Then, once the habits of eating this way became instilled it took less fat to maintain the woe. This is when I really noticed the loss of my own fat stores.

Imo the weight loss from surgery is mostly from muscle wasting, not from fat burning. Hence the odd shape of many weight loss surgery patients. Not to be mean at all! But, they do! Remain heavy in the hips, usually. I believe this is because many continue to eat the way they did before surgery (I did after the sleeve), and justify it because they can't eat much of it. These are the people who usually regain after they stop losing from the surgery.

I decided that I had to change what I eat to see different results! LCHF to the rescue! It has been what's made the difference!! I won't ever believe any differently!

How can we continue doing the same thing and expect different results? Not going to happen!