Fat bombs w/o coconut?

Options
Riche120
Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
I'm struggling to getting close to my fat macro so I think I may want to add some fat bombs. I'm having a really hard time finding any recipes, desert type anyway, that do NOT use coconut. Does anyone have any coconut-free recipes they could share or link to? I would love some with chocolate or peanut butter that the rest of the family could share as a desert.

Replies

• becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/fat-bombs.html?m=1

This one uses almond butter but you could sub peanut for sure.

I highly recommend Pinterest for recipes!!
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    http://www.lowcarbsosimple.com/crunchy-cherry-chocolate-confections/

And this is on my 'to make' list - chocolate cherry!!! Yum!
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This one sounds heavenly and is definitely one I want to try!!! http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2016/01/27/dark-chocolate-and-nut-fat-bombs
  • Riche120
    Options
    Thanks everyone, those recipes look awesome! Does anyone know if you have a recipe that calls for coconut oil, can you substitute equal amounts of butter for it or is there anything else that works well?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, those recipes look awesome! Does anyone know if you have a recipe that calls for coconut oil, can you substitute equal amounts of butter for it or is there anything else that works well?

Really, just use whatever oil you can stand the taste of. Few recipes are structurally reliant on a specific type of oil.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Butter should work, or ghee.

If it is just the taste of coconut oil that you dislike, try refined coconut oil which is fairly flavorless.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Butter should work, or ghee.

If it is just the taste of coconut oil that you dislike, try refined coconut oil which is fairly flavorless.

@Riche120 - This was going to be my questions, too... Are you actually allergic to coconut oil - or do you just not like the taste??? If you're not allergic to coconut oil, using it has GREAT health benefits. That being said, this is my favorite base recipe for Fat Bombs.

8 oz cream cheese, softened (DO NOT MELT)
    1 stick butter (4 oz/8 TBSP), softened or melted
    4 oz or 8 TBSP or 1/4 cup of coconut oil, softened, or melted

(You can double the butter and leave out coconut oil - or double the coconut oil and leave out butter...I don't recommend using MCT oil here unless you plan to freeze the fat bombs, but you can do 1/2 the coconut oil softened/melted and 1/2 MCT...I just wouldn't do more than 4 TBSP of MCT...again, unless freezing, because it likely won't hold form...)

2-4 TBSP of flavoring, whatever combination. Sweeten to tolerance (or taste, I guess)...usually a dropper or two of SweetLeaf stevia works, depending on add ins. If doing strawberry or cherry puree, don't even need sweetener most of the time...

I like using vanilla, chocolate, and cinnamon (splash vanilla, 1/2 cocoa powder, 1/2 cinnamon, to taste)
    lemon zest and lemon juice (if using zest 1 TBSP of it, juice to taste, otherwise 3-4 TBSP to taste)
    any other combinations
    Considering doing a lemon base and swirling blueberry puree through it...
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    somebody gave me this recipe the other day - I think it was from this group but honestly I'm in so many that I lose track...
    mix mascarpone (8oz) with heavy whipping cream (1cup) whip until thick. If you like sour add a bit of lime juice. But you could add anything to it. The texture is to die for though. Yum!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »

If it is straight coconut oil, I don't know how that would work for sure, but if you have another dairy in the base - i.e. heavy cream, cream cheese, marscapone, sour cream, etc., it should work just fine. It would probably even work with cocoa butter... I would have to look at the individual recipe to hazard a guess. That being said, I've yet to find a good sub/swap for shredded coconut in a recipe, which makes me sad, as I despise the taste of coconut...particularly shredded coconut... *sigh*
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    lately ive just been slicing off a tablespoon of butter and nibbling on it.....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @SuperCarLori - I cannot do that... Back before low carb, the only way I could tolerate butter was melted. Anything else made me sick. What's funny though, is that the Ketovangelist guy, that's one of his recommended snacks - grassfed butter wrapped in a small bit of quality cheese... LOL
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I can honestly exist on just cream cheese and black olives! :p Savory fat bombs are the tastiest imo.
  • Riche120
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I'm in the same boat as you. I just don't like the taste of coconut, or even the smell of it, at all. I can still taste it in the refined coconut oil, just not as strongly.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions for the fat bombs and for the advice on substitutions. I want to try them all! :smile:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to reach the fat macro because you're finding that you're still hungry? Because you don't actually have to hit that number. It's just a guide more or less. It's ok to be under
  • Riche120
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Yes, I'm still hungry, but am also having a hard time getting my fat much higher than my protein intake. I was thinking that if I could get the fat higher, it might help jump start the weight loss again too.
  • happydance1978
    happydance1978 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I feel so lost with all the macro stuff. I did notice with the PB and chocolate bombs I was full and it felt like a treat but I am now sick of coconut oil. I appreciate everyone on this site!
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time getting my fat in, too. I feel like I'm eating enough, but at the end of the day I'm always 50 grams or so short of my target. @Richie120, you may be surprised how easy it is to cover the taste of the refined version with a few other ingredients. My boss is a "supertaster" and hates the taste/smell of coconut oil, too. The other day I gave her two little fat bombs I had made from coconut oil, salted butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, and peanut butter, and she RAVED about them. When I told her it was 1/3 coconut oil she refused to believe me. :|
  • Riche120
    Options
    @CeliaSea I am usually at least 50 short too. What is your recipe? If you really can't taste it, I'll try to be brave and try it even with the coconut :smiley:
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @Richie120 It's this recipe: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/chocolate-fat-bombs/
    Just make sure you use salted butter...it makes all the difference. I hope you like them! :)