Tracking during pregnancy for WLS patients

Options
Hey everyone! So I had weight lose surgery done almost 2 years ago and am now 29 weeks pregnant. So my question is how should I track and what should my daily intake be? As of my prenatal appointment today I've gained 29 pounds and I'm terrified!! Hence why I am back on here and plan on improving my eating habits and my tracking habits.

Replies

• 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hey there! This group isn't super active so I'm not surprise your post went a couple weeks with no answer!

First thing is, don't stress too terribly much about the weight you've already gained. At this point, that's water under the bridge, and trying to restrict your intake too much from here on out can have a negative impact on your baby. Beyond this point, your baby will be spending most of his/her time packing on weight because almost all of his essential organs are developed. (Not all; the lungs still need some development, but that's not far!)

Second thing is, most OB practices that I've been through recommend an average gain of about a pound a week. Of course there's room for variance, but that's the general goal. If you started out overweight or obese, it would be a little less than that. Gaining a pound a week requires eating about 500 calories per day extra over your TDEE. My current diet (I have gestational diabetes so I've had a dietitian recommended diet) requires me to eat about 2,300 calories per day; your amount may be more or less depending on your TDEE and your prior weight.