Nature Throid

fitmek
fitmek Posts: 277 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
My thyroid level is at a 2.7 (2.4 is the bottom of "normal range"), so it's barely "normal". My holistic dr put me on Nature Throid to help boost my levels. I have EXTREME fatigue and OCD/anxiety issues. Anyone else on this? Losing a few pounds would be icing on the cake. :)

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Looking at thyroid health from a Holistic point of view where the systems of the body are considered as part of the whole, with the same caveat as with any medication, that it suits you, you will do well. The principal is to build up the thyroid system helping you recover. Recovery is something mainstream medicine take as impossible. The UK product is so confident it offers a refund for those who do not improve.

From my understanding, those of us put onto t4 medications are only being given iodine, unless our personal advisers say differently we are not advised to add supplements of additional vitamins and minerals known to support they thyroid system. This can be why many of us fail to thrive on t4 because our conversion to t3 the active form is still lacking. The product you have been advised to use covers the most commonly needed vitamins and minerals which should help greatly.

I suggest you read as much as you can from thyroid support sites, the UK has at least one, in the USA there is Stop the Thyroid Madness, named so because hypothyroid patients have been treated poorly for many many years. General Western medicine does not always listen acutely enough. Their care revolves around the Thyroid stimulating hormone level alone which does not give the best information on which to rely.

One site gives 300 possible symptoms, broadly they come under umbrella terms, emotion reactions are well represented on the list, these unsettling symptoms are often not seen as indicative of thyroid problems so are treated with little success as stand alone issues. Naturally if the physical base of the problem is not addressed the problem still remains despite the medication. In times gone by. when the only treatment for hypothyroid was natural decicated thyroid, patients given this preparation started to thrive. Breathing, digestive, and cell reproduction are also high in the listing. Free access, Teaching Hospital Papers I have read on endocrinology indicate menstrual frequency should be 28 days for all without excess or pain and other problems when a female is at a her true thyroid balance, yet this fact is frequently disregarded.

Many, on this list may consider the role of our digestive tract in conversion as irrelevant. It is becoming more well known that we have things at play in our digestion which enable some t4 to t3 conversion in our gut. The information coming from the Functional side of medicine is that we need to ensure we feed out digestive biome so as to increase our range of microbes because they contribute to our bodies well being. General Medicine proffer antibiotics which decrease all things in its tracks, some medics recommend taking supplements in tandem to prevent additional damage.

I expect your Holistic adviser will monitor how you do on the dose given after a couple of months, take stock and if necessary make other suggestions. I'm sure this is a very good place to start. All the very best please don't hesitate to give it a go. Thyroid problems lump us all together as one body but we each have our personal symptoms as well as answers. I hope this is yours.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    I also highly recommend finding Mary Shomon's site (it used to be on About.com but has changed names). She gathers together all of the newest research on thyroid issues and works with MD's and ND's to pull together the most balanced and comprehensive resource on thyroid issues I have ever seen. Google her name and you should find links to the site. I prefer it to Stop the Thyroid Madness, which I find a bit too dogmatic and, to be frank, a bit shrill.

When you say your thyroid levels are at 2.7, do you mean your TSH, your Free T4, or your Free T3?
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Also, I meant to add that i am on Erfa Thyroid, which is available in Canada but is basically the same thing.

I was one of those people who suffered abuse from doctors (ignored, verbal abuse and ridicule, placed on anti-depressants, and sent to psychiatrists) for decades before finally getting a diagnosis of Hashimoto's, and even then, was under-treated for 20 years with Synthroid. Only two years ago, at the urging of my N.D., was I able to convince a doctor to run a full thyroid panel, and lo and behold, I do not convert T4 to T3.

I have had issues getting accustomed to having T3 in my body after all these years without, but am slowly starting to feel much better. Most of my Hypo symptoms are gone now.
  • beth72804
    beth72804 Posts: 2 Member
    I take this med in combination with cytomel. I have had not issues except when I forget to go get them for a few days. Then I end up feeling it. I get SUPER exhausted. You don't realize how well you are doing until the meds that help are not there.
    My issues are that my T4 are not converting to T3. When other doctors ran the TSH tests they would always say that I didn't need meds or I was barely out of the normal range. This doc did them and all my hormone levels. It has been a god send.
    Once everything is back in normal ranges I was able to lose weight with exercise and a very moderate diet. I have ZERO will power so I would always fail. Then I got gastric sleeve surgery and lost 110lbs. I have gained some back because again I have no will power.
    I guess to answer your question, you can lose weight if all is well with ALL your hormone levels and you are willing to put in the work and have will power to stick with it.