Another introduction

Options
lizandrashaw
lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
I'm here because I have severe OA in my right knee due to an injury in my teens. I have had multiple surgeries on this knee, was homebound for 2 years, and will eventually need a replacement. Right now I have some bone spurs along the joint that are causing some pain, but the joint space is still good. I'm trying to take off some weight to put the replacement off as long as possible.

I have bursitis in the right hip due to a leg length discrepancy. More nagging discomfort than pain.
I also have lymphedema in my left arm which limits lifting and some activities. Some days, if I am swollen, the fluid gets stuck under my shoulder blade and feels like a knife in there. Thankfully that doesn't happen much anymore.

At night, I am dealing with restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movements in sleep. I got the fitness tracker initially to analyze my sleep.

Last year I fell and broke my right shoulder. I had a lot of residual ligament/tendon/muscle pain from that, but I had prolotherapy, and that shoulder is great now. I'm about to go back for prolotherapy for a trigger thumb. Just need to save up some money.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!! I hope you can find the solution for yourself!

I highly recommend LCHF way of eating! I've managed to lose 50 pounds without exercise! I've also heard that it helps OA sufferers! The group I'm in, Low Carber Daily, has been a great resource for learning, and support!

Gentle hugs!
  • lizandrashaw
    Options
    I will look into it, thanks!
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Nancy. I'm new to this group too. So from one newbie to another...WELCOME!!!

Sorry to hear about all of your problems. I don't blame you for trying to put off the knee replacement for now. The more weight you can lose by then, the easier the recovery usually. Besides, they keep making improvements in artificial knees.

I have bursitis in my right hip also. It actually can get quite painful. I've had it for years. I'm told it's from my scoliosis. I have a rotated s curve in my back. It wasn't noticed until my teens. I was never in a brace or anything. I also have a history of a fractured sacroiliac. It took 2 years to get the pain under control and I still get back pain from it at times. I had a shoulder injury at work, ended up with frozen shoulder, had one surgery for that, numerous steroid injections and about 2 years of physical therapy. It wasn't until I changed doctors that he found out I actually had a torn bicep. So another surgery and more therapy until workman's comp made me see one of their doctors who decided my lack of range of motion would be permanent. I've learned to deal with it mostly but if I over do, I get a lot of pain because my shoulder doesn't glide smoothly under my shoulder blade. All that on top of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. LOL Sometimes life just isn't fair, is it?

I would suggest a well balanced diet. There are so many foods you can incorporate that are anti inflammatory. Here's a website you can look at to give you more information about which foods, etc.

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/losing-weight/weight-loss-program.php

Good luck to you! You can add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • lizandrashaw
    Options
    Thanks Nancy! I sent a friend request. I had my annual ortho appointment to fill out the disability paperwork. My original goal was to make it to 65 before needing a replacement, but I told my doc that now I think I can make it to 75. He said, Why not? So that's my new goal, and losing the weight is going to be a big part of that.