August chat

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
Just cooked up a 2.5 bag of spinach, roasted red peppers, and broccoli is roasted currently. Did faux potatoes with cauliflower earlier today. Oh and lots of wild caught Alaskan salmon has been grilled up as well.

I think I am prepared for the coming week. My half sister has colon cancer. She goes to Dr. tomorrow to see what the next step is. It was found during her colonoscopy. She is a breast cancer survivor already and our mom is a colon cancer survivor. I told her I would go to any procedures with her, so had to have food I can depend on ready.

Replies

• retirehappy
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Protein is important. You walk a fine line between what you need to keep your muscle and maybe grow a little more over a year or so, and eating so much of it, your body transforms it into more fat. I think this graph might be helpful to help you find your sweet spot, it is based on height and gender. Just noticed it cuts off at 6'. Hopefully none of us need info on being taller.

n3u8cd7uejzz.jpg
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your half-sister. I hope everything works out for her
  • evesmom2
    Options
    I'm really frustrated with MFP. I just don't understand the food part of the software. I use it on my laptop only, not the phone. How does stuff get into My Foods? I can't delete stuff out of there even though it says I can edit it. Are there instructions somewhere that I can't find? When I enter foods into my daily food diary, why can't I delete foods out of there that I'll never eat again because I didn't like them?
  • retirehappy
    Options
    My Foods is the tab where you can add, edit, or delete foods you eat regularly.
    My Meals is the tab where you can save meals you have recorded for a previous meal and you can go in and edit them or delete them in the future. Those are things you have full control over, you add those items yourself. The MFP servers do not add to those.

What you don't have control over is the tabs for Recent and Frequent, the MFP servers have most of the control there.

Frequent items can be deleted go to the bottom of the listing and delete them there. There is also a view frequent button, if you go in there, you can restore an item that you might have deleted by mistake or had stopped eating so you didn't want it to appear. Restoring adds it back in. That is about the extent of your control there. Items will rotate in and out of there due to the one page display. The MFP servers will have all frequent items you listed, just viewing them all doesn't seem possible. Why you can only see the ones you deleted is beyond my reasoning :).

Recent items list is generated by the MFP server side, if you notice they change often and you might have had something at breakfast yesterday that you wanted to eat again today, and it isn't on the recent listing. This is the single most frustrating thing about MFP's diary for me personally and according to MFP customer service it is not something end users can control, you are supposed to make the meal a My Food/My Meal if you plan to eat it often.

While I have the app on pc, Kindle and iPhone, I use the pc website most often. Kindle and iPhone are great for scanning the bar codes on new items and when I am traveling.

Hope this helps you out a bit.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Need some inspiration today? Check out this amazing 79 yr. old
    ernestineshepherd.net/?page_id=2

https://youtube.com/watch?v=na6yl8yIZUI
  • evesmom2
    Options
    Still not understanding.
    I go to the Foods tab, then My Foods
    It shows me a list of my Personal Foods and it says I can view, edit, delete.
    So I click on the first one on the list...it is some pizza I will never eat again
    It lets me edit it, but there is no place to delete it

And how do I add food to My Foods???
  • retirehappy
    Options
    1yg4bt9tkjcn.jpg

Hummmm, seems like anything that is added by the search option, meaning it is in the MFP dbase you can only edit. I usually enter my own things, so hadn't noticed that before.

This is what the page should look like if you manually entered a My Food item.
    See the Create button above the Edit and Delete buttons? You have to pull the info from the item you are entering and type it in.

I have found I do the recipe option mostly. Once you add a recipe you can they edit it or remove it if you decide you won't be using it. This gives me the nutrient info I need and I can later alter it if I want to change one of my macros when I eat it.
  • evesmom2
    Options
    That makes sense....I have no delete button because I use the MFP database. I guess I will start adding my own info. THANKS!!!
  • evesmom2
    Options
    Made it to onederland yesterday! I'm so happy and so motivated to keep going. Haven't been in onederland in at least 4 years. And a 1/2 lb to go and I will have lost 50 lbs. Still a long way to go, but not as far as it was
  • retirehappy
    Options
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Joell, so sorry to hear about your half-sister's illness. She's lucky to have your for support.
  • retirehappy
    Options
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I struggle with how much protein I really do need. Found this info helpful is sorting it out seems older adults need more, not less as some would have you believe.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4555150/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15640517

• evesmom2
    Options
    I got 5 blueberry bushes planted and I'm tired! Tomorrow thru Monday the weather is supposed to be much nicer...cooler and much less humidity. Hopefully my planting will be easier in the cooler weather. I have to keep taking breaks in this hot/humid weather...takes me at least an hour to plant one bush...ugh
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Thank you @retirehappy !
  • retirehappy
    Options
    For Bobbie.

1gmpctmfchde.gif
  • retirehappy
    Options