Calories and fat

Options
bibbob300
bibbob300 Posts: 48 Member
Hi,

I'm 5ft and 8st at moment and want to maintain by keeping carbs low, hopefully around 50g but as my ideal calorie intake is only around 1300 ( not a exerciser) when I read about all the fat I have to add to my diet, is it doable on such a low cal intake?

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I eat that much. 1350 to be exact. Keep in mind with high fat, you don't need a lot. So it balances out.
  • bibbob300
    Options
    Hi Shadow, do you maintain ok at that ?
    What sort of foods do you eat ? Need inspiration :/
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and about 142 lbs. I eat at about 1000 to 1100 calls a day. By the time I get in the protein, veggies and associated fats for cooking , serving, etc there are no calories for desserts or fat bombs. I would love to try some of the recipes for low carb mug cakes, fat bombs( candy equivalents) muffins or cookies. Sigh....
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    My maintenance number is 1650. At sedentary. So I'm losing at 1350. I eat mostly eggs, meat, cheese, cream, butter, cream cheese, cottage cheese, full fat yoghurt, fat bombs, nut butters, LCHF bread. I have to admit I don't eat plenty of vegetables. Lol, but I'm trying to eat slightly more.

My macros are set to 10% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat. Which is keto, basically. 30g carbs or less. I do enjoy experimenting with keto recipes and have recently made keto granola to go with my yoghurt. (Plain yoghurt is best as most of the sugars are just from the milk).

I also made some coconut porridge for mornings, and some cream of chicken soup. (Can you tell it's winter in South Africa? LOL)

Just google anything you want and add keto to it. Keto soup, keto porridge, keto cookies, there's a HUGE variety of adapted recipes out there for just about anything.

You should keep in mind, because it's high fat the portions are much smaller. But fat is so filling that you don't need much anyway.
  • bibbob300
    Options
    Aaw thanks Shadow that gives me something to work on, regardless of veg your diet sounds delicious, lots of googling to do now lol :) x
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Google is your friend!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    bibbob300 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm 5ft and 8st at moment and want to maintain by keeping carbs low, hopefully around 50g but as my ideal calorie intake is only around 1300 ( not a exerciser) when I read about all the fat I have to add to my diet, is it doable on such a low cal intake?

You must not have noticed any of the posts where people are concerned because they can't even manage to eat 1000 calories a day because they are so full.
    Fat is very filling and once you're body learns to burn fat more efficiently, you're carrying your kitchen cupboard on your hips so you don't get feelings of hunger like in the past. So you feel satisfied with less and stay satisfied longer.
    Usually, hunger increases as we get closer to our goal weight. In other words when the portable cupboards start to get low on stock. At that point, there's typically a bit more effort required to maintain a calorie deficit.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    LOL...carrying our kitchen cupboard on our hips.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Ha, yes, I am carrying a few kitchen cupboards on mine.
  • bibbob300
    Options
    Lol Sunny Bunny I used to eat the kitchen cupboards and still can do even though I'm in ketosis, full or not, I can control it now but don't ever want to back to being that way again, that's why I'm worried about too many cals from fat as I'm low cal and low carb on the plan I'm doing at moment, looking to maintain with just low carb and reading the posts on here I'm amazed you can eat fat, guess it's the whole" fats bad for you " brainwashing I've grown up with and scared that fat will add on too many extra cals :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the appetite control that prevents me from needing to eat a lot in general, prevents those calories from being an issue.
    If I eat more carbs then I feel hungrier and get food cravings that have nothing to do with hunger.
    So, spend the calories on fat now to save from overeating in general later