Cheese and breadcrumbs

Options
CSylviaMarie
CSylviaMarie Posts: 80 Member
Hello all. Are cheese and breadcrumbs (like panko) considered clean? If not, I can do some vegan cheez but what are good clean subs for panko?

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of clean. I go with high nutrient whole foods, ideally that are lower in calorie (fruits, vegetables, whole grains). As apposed to high calorie low nutrient food (anything with added sugar, refined flour, etc.)
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options
    Ok. Guess i will do some research. I'm trying to convert some recipes i have
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'd do a search for panko on sites like Bob's Red Mill and other companies who have a reputation for healthy eating. Or just make a list of the ingredients you want to check, make a trip to Whole Foods and look at the ingredients for each item.

I would guess that panko is a lot more healthy than vegan cheese, as I'm assuming vegan cheese is full of un-natural things that make it taste like cheese and panko is mainly derived from grains.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I sort of like the everything in moderation rule. But like the other posters have said, try and find good brands without a lot of processed or unknown ingredients in them. That is how I define clean eating.
    A little bit of panko on top of fish with some pesto is nice (just can't go heavy handed with the pesto as it can be higher in calorie).
    We buy our grated cheese at Trader Joe's and we find it to be good quality and a decent price. No added and unknown ingredients. :)
  • CSylviaMarie
    Options
    Thanks guys! I was actually thinking of making vegan cheese at home cuz i found a few recipes for almond cheese that used nutritional yeast for the cheese flavor. Good tip on bob's red mill...they are a reputable company. Still beefing up my label reading skills so this is a good thing for me to practice.
  • Charlasek
    Charlasek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I generally use Bob's Red Mill almond meal in place of panko. It doesn't get as crispy, but it's not made from flour, which I try to avoid. Just found this article about panko vs breadcrumbs.