BPC QUESTION....

Options
mskeyaj
mskeyaj Posts: 76 Member
If you start your mornings off with BPC (Bullet Proof Coffee), is this considered breaking your fast? I am curious on this, heard from a friend this morning that anything over 15 calories is considered breaking your fast.

Replies

• ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of those great LC debates - along with net carbs vs. total and whether or not you should weigh yourself daily!

Some say its the number of calories and some say its the type of calories that matter. I've also seen folks who say its more like 50 calories.

Hopefully someone here has a better answer for you!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that if you do a true BPC with just butter and oil it is not considered breaking your fast because it's all fat and there is no insulin effect. If you add even a splash of cream or whatever then you've broken the fast. I'm sure someone with more in depth info will chime in soon! :)
  • mskeyaj
    Options
    Interesting @anglyn1, I have been drinking my coffee with heavy whipping, torani, and one splenda for past almost 2 months! Then, I don't eat until 2 or 3pm. I did not know I was breaking my fast when I did this:(
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly @sunny_bunny_ has the bulletproof book that explains why the addition of anything aside from pure fats breaks your fast.

I always have breakfast of coffee with only hwc and don't eat until 2 or 3. I may not still be fasting but I still don't get really hungry until then so I count it as a win! :)
  • mskeyaj
    Options
    lol @anglyn1, that was exactly my thought process this morning when I was told "anything over 15 calories breaks your fast!". I figure if it is not broke don't try and fix it. I have been doing it this way for past 2 months and I am still losing weight.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream causes an insulinogenic response (and essentially stops fat burning until the threshold of it's affect has worn off). Anything over a certain threshold of carbs and protein triggers a certain part of digestion. healthfulpursuit.com has some great explanations on her site, particularly as it relates to her Rocket Fuel Latte, and how to keep the fast going, if that is your goal, to keep the fat burners on. For some folks, the delayed hunger is worth the cream, but for the most part, butter, if well blended, adds most of the same "creamy" effect... Continuing with decreased hunger works for some, continuing the fast works for others...
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's breakfast. I probably won't eat again until after 2 p.m. because I'm filled and I had mine around 8:30 this morning. If I do eat its because of habit; not hunger. I fight with the habit monster a lot still.

I keep adjusting my BPC. I am now down to 3 packets of Stevia vs 10 packets. I cut out the HWC a long time ago, and just yesterday I started adding 2 tablespoons of coconut oil instead of 1. I used to only use 1/2 tablespoon. It fills me up and keeps me going. So my current recipe is:
    • About 12 ounces of coffee
    • 3 Stevia packets
    • 1 T butter
    • 2 T coconut oil

Next in my plan to improve it - drop the Stevia all together.
  • kolsonsmamaw1
    kolsonsmamaw1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I start my day with BPC usually around 11:00 this is my recipe.........

16oz of coffee
    2 T coconut oil
    2 T kerrygold salted butter
    1/2 T unsweetened cocoa
    Small squirt of liquid stevia

It keeps me satisfied for hours
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The bottom line is that whatever you can do long term that keeps you in control of your hunger is a great plan.
    In The Bulletproof Diet, Dave explains that using heavy cream initiates certain digestive enzymes from the casein in the dairy that starts up your digestion for the day and that's what ends the fast. He seems to believe that the best hunger control comes from delaying activating digestive enzymes and that by sticking to coconut oil or MCT oil and butter, you can do that and get the best hunger control and "effectively" remain in a state that mimicks fasting.
    That's the key word there. Adding those few hundred calories allows someone to mimick a fasted state without actually needing to fast. So you stay in the fasted, fat burning state, but you're providing at least some of the fat that's being burned from your coffee additives.
    Should you completely fast, you would burn more of your body fat instead. But if you aren't able to go without something for that long, then this is a good compromise.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/rocket-fuel-latte/

I like the video here - or the transcript below - to help explain the whys and wherefores... :)