New to 5:2 diet

Options
RoxianneM
RoxianneM Posts: 17 Member
My husband and I have launched a new diet plan. We've decided to see if the 5:2 plan will help us where other diets have failed. I am over 50, and currently weigh 170 pounds at 5'1". Three years ago, I lost almost 30 pounds, which brought me down to 135. Now I've gained it all back and then some. I blame work-related stress and less daily movement. I went from a collaborative teacher, moving from one classroom to another and up and down stairs all day, to a self-contained classroom at a different school. My husband also changed jobs, and will be in a pre-k class this year. Plus, we also bought a house, which has less space for daily exercise. It's also farther from the gym, so we don't go as often. I've realized that all those lifestyle changes added up to each of us gaining a lot of weight back. We are pretty active, as we have a small farm and have been gardening and building fence. Apparently, that's not enough. All this is by way of introducing myself and where I'm coming from. School starts the 18th, and I start staff development the 19th, so well see how it goes.

Replies

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) I just rejoined the group after taking a diet break but I know a few things so feel free to ask questions of any of us. I started out at 178 (at 5'3" so somewhat similar starting BMI) and am currently down 20 lbs. I find that this works well for me and allows me to eat in a sustainable way and keep a weekly deficit. I hope you like it, but if you don't then I hope you find something else that works.

Gardening sounds fun. I can't garden right now, but I'm hoping when I move next year I'll have enough of a yard to start a garden. My mom grows a ton of her own vegetables and loves it. :smiley:

What grade do you teach? Being a teacher seems so hard - I thought about it, but ultimately decided it was too frustrating for me. :blush:
  • RoxianneM
    RoxianneM Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Our garden is about a third of an acre, but only about half is planted right now. We've fenced it in and are expanding the size of the cultivated area a little at a time. We hope to raise enough to feed ourselves and sell some to the local market, but we're not there yet. We also have (just to add to the work) chickens, guinea fowl, and ducks, as well as a small orchard. So we have the potential for lots of homegrown, healthy food. And plenty of exercise.

As far as teaching, I teach middle school. This year, I will be teaching Language Arts and Math to a small group in grades 6-8. I will do some collaborative teaching as well (helping in other classrooms).. I was at the high school before, and I prefer middle school. Yes, there's lots of drama, but I love the kids.