zucchini and eggplant

Options
kennygang
kennygang Posts: 93 Member
I went to Farmers market over weekend and found some really great zucchini and eggplant which I love at a really cheap price. I was wondering if anyone had any favorite recipes they would like to share?????

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    We had this for dinner last night.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/shaved-zucchini-pasta

For eggplant, I'm old school. We just steam it.
    But this looked good:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/grilled-eggplant
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I have only had eggplant once in a main dish with polenta and it was gag-worthy. I've been afraid to try it since lol

I love zucchini. My favourite way to eat it is simply sliced in half circles and stir-fried in olive oil with mushrooms, celery, and fresh ginger root. My husband likes it on the raw side, I like it when it starts to brown, and my son likes it once it's carmelized.

I've also made zucchini boats where you cut it in half length-wise, scoop out the inner bit and top it with cooked ground turkey or beef, Parmesan cheese, and whatever else you want. Delicious!

So . . . does eggplant actually taste similar to zucchini? Should I try it again?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So . . . does eggplant actually taste similar to zucchini? Should I try it again?

No, it's not similar to zucchini ... eggplant is denser, and also it can turn out chewey/rubbery, whereas with zucchini about the worst it gets is mushy.

I like eggplant diced small, and use it when I want something a little more solid ... I don't use it often, but in my mind it's kind of a substitute starch, like having chunks of potato in a stew.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A good baba ganoush is always good!

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2016/06/16/quick-and-easy-baba-ganoush

I like baba ganoush over steak.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @kirkor Rubbery is a good way to describe the texture when I tried it. Thanks for the tips!
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I like my zucchini "stir fried" with butter, salt, & pepper. Sometimes throw in chicken to make it a "dish"

Eggplant is something I dice very finely & hide in sauces. I don't like the taste or texture of it, but it bulks up sauces nicely without making them icky.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I like zucchini as zoodles (using a spirilizer) and used (lightly sauted or boiled) as a vehicle for alfredo or spaghetti sauce. Also like it sauteed (thick rounds or bite sized chunks) with onions/mushroom, etc. I add the zucchini last because I like it lightly cooked. It gets mushy fairly quickly.

I've tried but have never been fond of eggplant. It's ok as in-eggplant parmesan. I keep trying different recipes. Peeled. Not peeled. Sliced and salted before cooked and left to sit on a paper towel to draw out the liquid. Perhaps someone will post a recipe and I'll give it another try. Or not. :)
  • BelindaMilan
    BelindaMilan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I made this with ground beef in the sauce and it wasn't to bad, it was better after it sat overnight and was reheated.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/eggplant_lasagna.html
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I love eggplant cut into 1/2" thick slices, brushed with a mixture of olive oil and butter, grilled until golden brown and tender then sprinkled with salt and pepper.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I like to roast eggplant. Sometimes, I use it to make lasagna. The eggplant is used instead of lasagna noodles. Yum!
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ina Garten has a tasty eggplant gratin recipe that just needs minor adjustment to make keto-worthy. I change the half and half to full cream. Also, I don't use the half bottle of marinara sauce. I use a much smaller amount. I found a bottled marinara sauce that's ingredients are whole tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. Darned if I can recall the name at the moment though. This is good for a main meal.

I also brown eggplant in olive oil (it absorbs it so you may have to add more (and possibly more). Then I put a little marinara on the top of my slices, then top with a little mozzarella and some parmesan and pop them under the broiler so the cheese gets melty and a little brown.

To help dehydrate the eggplant a bit before you cook it, cut it into slices and douse them on both sides with salt, place in a strainer in the sink. After at least 3 hours (I usually do this in the morning if I'm making it for supper), rinse the salt off and pat dry. This prevents the "rubbery" effect.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I use both to make lasagna, instead of noodles, I just layer either when fresh sliced mozzarella and sauce and bake til bubbly
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make eggplant parm with almond meal instead of bread crumbs and use a sauce that either I make or that has all organic, no sugar added ingredients. I cut up eggplant the day before, salt it, put it in a strainer and place it in a bowl. The importance of this with eggplant is by doing that you're drawing the fluid out which takes away that bitter taste. I wash the salt off and pat dry. I mix a bag of almond meal with a container of Italian seasonings. I dip the eggplant in egg and then almond meal and then fry it in olive oil. Pour the sauce over it, add mozzarella cheese on top and bake until the cheese is melted. I'll sometimes turn on the broiler for a minute or two to crispify the cheese on top. I've been doing this since well below low carb (I'd alternate using almond meal and bread crumbs based on my mood) and people have always raved about it. It truly is simple. Just takes a bit of time.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Eggplant rubbed in olive oil. Halfed, scoop out the insides and finely chop. Sautée the eggplant in olive oil, garlic, onions and spices, brown minced meat, mix together and fill the eggplant halves. Drizzle some cheese on top and roast in the oven for about 20-25mins and enjoy. Yummy!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Spiralize zucchini, flavour it with garlic salt, herbs and spices. Slightly steam the zucchini till you can start to see the seeds. Top the spiralized zucchini with your favourite bolognese sauce. Sit back and enjoy!
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I get a big zucchini, I peel it, remove the seeds, chop it up and boil it. Mashed zucchini. Served with butter salt and pepper.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I get a big zucchini, I peel it, remove the seeds, chop it up and boil it. Mashed zucchini. Served with butter salt and pepper.

Great idea!
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    all sounds so good thank you so much.