Feedback on Day 1?

Options
whisker1984
whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
(Please delete if not allowed.)

I've attached a screenshot of my first day attempting low carb after reading all the info in a zillion places. I'm not necessarily shooting for ketosis, so my goal was simply to stay under 100g of net carbs for the day.

dq8c0b10nh5l.gif

I'd like to get in more protein and more green vegetables (I was running low on both until I went grocery shopping today), but I was definitely feeling satisfied with this menu which NEVER happens for me when I'm in a calorie deficit. I have a lot of weight to lose, so the Reddit Keto Macro Calculator (see below) wants me to eat SIGNIFICANTLY more fat, but I don't know if I can come close to that goal...... :/

9jfushn5k8b6.gif

Any other feedback? Did I do okay? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Considering your carb allotment, you'll be fine with the protein to fat ratio you currently have. If you were to take the carbs down to keto level, then you you'd definitely want to get the fat intake higher. It's actually not as difficult as it sounds, so long as you can tolerate mayo, butter, and various oils. Hell, there are even some really good cheeses that are notably higher in fat grams than protein, for future reference.
  • aserrano79
    aserrano79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm at the beginning of my journey with LCHF. But if I understand it right, as long as you keep your carbs low, and your proteins on point, then you only eat fat till your not hungry. If your body needs fat to function, it will take it from your butt or a thigh. Where ever the extra is hanging around:) You should never feel deprived. My body will be a fat burning machine. I just store my fuel on my thighs. Good luck!
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this myself (less than 2 months). I've done a lot of reading and experimenting to find what works best for me. For weight loss, I have to keep my carbs under 20%. My ratios at this time are 5%/15%/80% (carb, protein/fat). My weight loss is slow, but as long as I keep on point with my macros (carbs, proteins and fats), weight does come off. Do you know if you are insulin resistant? If your fasting blood or plasma glucose is elevated in the morning, then you are but insulin resistance is building before it actually shows up in elevated fbs.

Hunger didn't disappear for me until I was actually in ketosis. I don't know how that has worked for others. The same with my DH who has joined me in lchf WOE.

I would suggest you experiment with what works and doesn't work for you. If hunger doesn't disappear (and it does virtually disappear), you might consider lowering your carbs down until below 50. I found it took almost a week before hunger really disappeared for me. I used about 3 ketogenic calculators to see how well they agreed (which they all didn't). IF hunger is not an issue and you're getting the weight loss you want, then all is good.

One thing I would also suggest is staying away from fast foods. Even though you left off the bun, fillers, sugars, etc., are often added to these products. For McDonald's, it is a science to find ways to make their food such that people crave it and keep eating more. The other fast food chains have followed suit. It is a business, and it's business is making money. On the weekend, I pre-prepare some foods I will be using during the week, like making a bowl of salad and chopping any low carb veggies I have planned. For breakfast, I have a "keto-coffee" (2 TBL coconut oil, 1 tsp cocoa, 2 TBL cream, and a flavor syrup if I want) and 2 oz of meat protein. This week, it is ribeye steak, so I cut that up into 2 ounce portions which I froze and then put into a freezer safe container. For saving even more time, I have pan fried my breakfast meat so it only takes a couple minutes to reheat in a pan with a tsp of butter (YUM!). Being prepared has saved me many times already. This way, I actually know what I am getting in the food I eat.

Good luck to you!
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think your "more veggies" approach is a good one. As the above poster said, stick with whole foods to source your carbs, rather than things with mystery fillers (fast food burgers) and possibly added sugar. I'd avoid bars also as the artificial sweeteners can cause problems for some including cravings for carbs.

I think you'll find as you go along that its pretty easy to increase your fats since a little goes a long way.

You are doing great! Keep up this up and you'll be seeing results in no time!
  • whisker1984
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

Less fast food is always a challenging thing for me, but one of the advantages of this WOE are that the choices there are definitely less appealing. :s Even things like deli meat grow old quickly when they're a mainstay of one's diet. I'm simply going to have to do more meal prep and planning to survive unless I only want to eat lettuce and cheese sticks, but that's a good thing!

Good info about the fat intake, too. After years of depriving myself of added fat to vegetables, etc., that's gonna take time to get used to. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Awesome day! The calculator is giving you higher fat because it's giving you lower carbs. No need to monkey with what your doing, if you like it. No need to go lower, at 64g carbs you will be well into ketosis in no time.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think for your first day, you're doing excellent! Weeks 1 and 2 are the toughest to get through because you're still experimenting. The first time I "discovered" low carb, I didn't even know it was low carb. I was mimicking somebody's meal plan who was doing a weight loss challenge without realizing it until a couple of weeks later. Then after heavy amounts of research, I ran into keto and it changed the game for me. But my first low carb day was much rougher than yours!

The toughest part is figuring out what you can and cannot eat. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you become comfortable with these things. Somebody posted a link the other day for a picture guide of things that are good for low-carb. If I find it I'll post it here. (Originally posted by Sabine_Stroehm: dietdoctor.com/low-carb/

Where I go to discover some new recipes is actually Pinterest. I even went ahead and created a "cookbook" of things that I wouldn't mind eating or for me to reference later. There's a lot of stuff on my list I'll probably never cook because I need to keep things simple. But you can reference my cookbook and then branch out to other similar ones from there to get started and keep things interesting: goo.gl/QByOq6
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Is the fast food by choice or necessity?
    There are so many other options out there these days for fast food. Right up there to just swinging in your local market and picking up a rotisserie chicken! Most times it's cheaper than the fast food and you can get a few meals from it. Plus broth if you are able to cook it down on the stove top.

Take a look around the web for LCHF recipes. You can never get bored if you have the time to set aside to cook.
  • whisker1984
    Options
    @ProCoffeenator You're absolutely correct! It simply requires planning on my part to do otherwise, and that's a work in progress. I've definitely done better in the subsequent days. :)

@CommandaPanda Thanks for the encouragement and links! It's certainly been a learning curve for me. I'm not a big meat eater, normally, so that's been a serious adjustment. Why are my piggie friends so tasty? :'(