New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Options

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hi @indiab3 ! My story is very similar, trying for four years to lose my baby weight (#3 for me), and my body wasn't having my low calorie, high cardio ways anymore.

Please read the stickies, and do a full reset. You won't see physical weight changes right away, but you'll see other changes. Once your body has healed you can try for some weight loss and find yourself successful! And hit those weights, you'll see big changes when you lift heavy!
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi @indiab3 welcome to the group!
    There is a calcualtor on the website that can give you a guide as to how many calories you should need, if you are honest with your activity level, it should give you similar numbers to your fitbit. http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Bigger is not better when it comes to a deficit, so eating 1800 when burning 2500-3000 a day is a very steep deficit. We recommend a 10% cut.
    However, like @saranharm has mentioned though, I would recommend doing a full reset before you think of doing any kind of cut.
    You need to allow your body time to heal from the low calories and get used to eating at maintenance.
    BUT.......it is fantastic that you have increased your calories from 1200 to 1800. That's great!
    Just keep gradually increasing them, by about 100 a week until you reach your TDEE amount and then just stay there for a while.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    Glad to hear that you have started lifting weights. This will transform your body, so even if you don't see a loss on the scale, your body shape will change and you will see big differences.
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • lauhil
    lauhil Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My name is Lauren and I am turning 30 this October. I am currently 288.6 pounds and I have a bit over 100 pounds to lose ( my goal weight is160 lbs.) I have struggled with my weight most of my life. I have tried eating less many times, but it never really worked for me. I joined EM2WL for a reason..... to not feel like I am starving and to think about food too much. I hear great things about EM2WL, and I just wanted to do this because I need a lifestyle change. So glad to finally join this group :smile:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group @lauhil ! Eating less works for no one:)
    Please read through the stickies at the top of the discussion page to help you get started on how this process all works. We are all here to help and answer any questions you may have:)

Kelly
  • SonicPal
    SonicPal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lauren: with you. Definitely have struggled mightily to lose weight, although I'm 62. I always feel that I have to "give up" eating to achieve my goal. Happy to be a sister supporter.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Welcome @lauhil, @indiab3, @mocast, like Kelly @raynn1 mentioned above, eating less works for no one (at least not for life)! Most of us are here because we had enough of not eating over and over and not keeping the weight off. EM2WL is a lifestyle that can definitely be incorporated in our lives and will allow us to reach our goals and keep them for life. It's not a quick fix, but t is worth it.

Begin from the beggining with our free quick start and than don't rush, take your time to go through the info and absorb it.
    yta6kyzkyekd.png

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Options
    lauhil wrote: »
    My name is Lauren and I am turning 30 this October. I am currently 288.6 pounds and I have a bit over 100 pounds to lose ( my goal weight is160 lbs.) I have struggled with my weight most of my life. I have tried eating less many times, but it never really worked for me. I joined EM2WL for a reason..... to not feel like I am starving and to think about food too much. I hear great things about EM2WL, and I just wanted to do this because I need a lifestyle change. So glad to finally join this group :smile:

Hi Lauren.
    Glad to see you found this group. It's great because it's not a diet, it's finding a way to eat for the rest of your life without starving yourself!
    If you have any questions after you have read through the stickies, feel free to jump back in and ask. We are here to help.
    Ichel
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    (I just saw this intro thread! :/ Still getting the hang of the group. Posted this on one of the others and thought I would post it here "officially" as well.)

Hi all. My name is Laura and I am new to EM2WL. I decided to look for a group like this after meeting with a Registered Dietitian last week. I have been dieting on and off my entire adult life with little long term success. Last September I stared this process of dieting again in the hopes of making permanent lifestyle changes. I had lost 40 pounds when I decided to meet with a health coach after the scale stopped moving. I bought into the process of focusing solely on macros and not counting calories. After 7 weeks the scale stopped moving again and I got curious just how many calories I was eating. I was SHOCKED to find out that I was only eating between 900 - 1,100 a day. I knew this was not right. After ending the program with the health coach I gradually got my calories up to 1,200 - 1,300 some days of the week. I still felt pretty tired most days and found it challenging to fit in a 3-4 mile walk. I did a little reading and decided to reach out to a certified and experienced RD who offered metabolism and body fat analysis. I met with her and was floored when she told my my BMR was 1,620. She said, at a minimum, you need to be eating this. Just to exist, your body needs this many calories. I sat there dumbfounded. I have never in my life had someone tell me I need to eat more. I am currently working with her to gradually increase my calories to the minimum amount on a consistent basis. She also has me working to get and stay on a consistent food schedule as well.

Learning to eat more has definitely been difficult. I am still struggling when I log my food to see my calories increasing, but, I do have to say - I am already feeling better. I am hoping over the course of the next month or two to finally have my calories up to my BMR and am looking forward to the next leg of the journey. Looking forward to getting lots of info from the group and getting to know everyone.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hi @NewMe9597 !! I said hello in your other post:) But welcome aboard!!
    Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • TerezaToledo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @newme9597 Welcome to EM2WL! I'm so glad your RD is pointing you in the right direction. Yes, eating more can be very challenging, specially after all the years of hearing what the diet industry want us to belive! Yes, increase your calories slowly, don't be afraid to eat more. You will definitely find excellent information and lots of support around here. Take your time, don't rush things, soak up all the info and feel free to post your questions.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • angelpuss123
    angelpuss123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Angie and am new to the group! I have lost 27 pounds so far on my own and just could use some support along the way! I have about 50 more to lose.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @angelpuss123 Welcome to this group! Excellent job so far! I'll definitely find support here. Have you checked our start here thread? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10430416/welcome-to-em2wl-start-here#latest
    You will find here lots of information to help you through your journey!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Options
    Hi I am Angie and am new to the group! I have lost 27 pounds so far on my own and just could use some support along the way! I have about 50 more to lose.

Hi Angie! So glad to have you here.
    As you are already part way through your journey, I thought you might enjoy reading this;
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/trust-process/

Ichel
    EM2WL Moderator and Ambassador
  • shaunamaki1979
    shaunamaki1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Shauna. I'm 37 years old, 5'7" and 217 pounds. I'm trying to lose a whole bunch of baby weight I gained after having my daughter and a set of twin boys. I'm aiming to get back to around 160 pounds. I've just done some reading on this and it seems like the smartest way to go. I should also note that I had gastric bypass surgery about 13 years ago and have managed to keep 100 extra pounds off (I was 318 pounds just prior to my surgery). If anyone has tips regarding this method after having GB, or a link to another post about it, I'd appreciate that info. Otherwise, I'm hoping to meet some supporters here and help cheer others along as well. I've been in a weight struggle for the majority of my life and it is utterly exhausting.

I have been logging in MFP for about two weeks now and have been exercising (walking, elliptical machine) 4-5 days a week for about 30-40 minutes each session. I adjusted my calorie level today based on my BMR and TDEE after doing some reading on it. I have calculated my calorie level should be 1889 calories/day (this is based on 2699 cal minus 30 percent deficit). Is this deficit too high for someone with GB history?

I'm going to have to adjust to ignoring my calories "earned" through exercise. I was originally at 1400 calories/day and earning/eating another 600 or so. I didn't lose any weight in the past week. I was incredibly frustrated. I am not giving up though and am hoping that this method will help me achieve my goals and maintain once I get there. I look forward to connecting with you and learning from you!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @shaunamaki1979 Welcome! Kudos for keeping off the weight you lost after your gastric bypass! You will definitely find a lot of support in this group. Feel free to add us as friends and send your questions!
    30% deficit seems to be too big for anyone, with or without a gastric bypass history. A 10-15% deficit from your real TDEE (or as close as possible) is way more sensible and maintainable.
    Having a goal of 1400, working out 600 and eating 2000 is not a good way to reach your goals. If your TDEE is around 2700, that would give you 2300(rounded) for a 15% cut. But if you have been eating even lower than that, a reset should be your first step. Do you need a reset? ==> http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • shaunamaki1979
    shaunamaki1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @TerezaToledo

Thank you for your advice! I am going to check out the reset. I feel like I've been all over the place. Hopefully I can get to a good spot by completing the reset. I also have thyroid issues which further complicates things. I think my levels could be off but I'm getting that checked in a few weeks. Ive been on thyroid hormones for many years. It's an added difficulty in my health journey.
  • melsurge83
    melsurge83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Shauna I had gastric bypass about 4.5 years ago managed to keep off 165lbs. I just started to EM2WL program 3weeks ago.
  • Jakael2003
    Jakael2003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am 50 and finally getting serious about my weight. My highest weight was 283. Currently at 245. I welcome any help and suggestion on this journey. Feel free to check my food diary. My addiction is carbs, rice mostly. My calories on MFP is at 1400. I can do this!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Jakael2003 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am 50 and finally getting serious about my weight. My highest weight was 283. Currently at 245. I welcome any help and suggestion on this journey. Feel free to check my food diary. My addiction is carbs, rice mostly. My calories on MFP is at 1400. I can do this!

Hi there! Welcome to the group.
    I would guess that 1400 calories may be a bit low for you ( just guessing! I don't know your personal stats!)
    You can check the amount you should be eating by putting in your info into this calculator;
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Just shout if you need any help with any of the questions.
    Ichel
  • empressichel
    Options
    Hi Shauna @shaunamaki1979
    This starter guide is incredibly helpful. I love it. Just answers every question you can think of and some that you might not even of though of! B)
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
    Just let us know if you have any questions as you go through everything. We are here to help!
    Ichel