GoaD on the Run: Tuesday 8/9/16

Options
glennowill
glennowill Posts: 134 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

Topic: Are there any fall races that you are eyeing down?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Key races for me this fall:

9/17 Northface Endurance Challenge trail marathon in South Kettle Moraine, WI
    10/15 Des Plaines River Trail marathon, Libertyville, IL
    11/12 Paleozoic Trail Runs - Silurian Fall 25K, Palos Park, IL
    12/3 Arctic Frog 25K - Libertyville, IL
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I will try to post more, as I have not in many moons. I have been very inconsistent in my running for at least two years now. I think that I am finally past that barrier now, and have been running more consistently. I just need to get mileage back on track. No races scheduled right now, but I plan to run at least a 10K this Fall. I plan to run a half in the Spring.

Two miler on tap for tonight. During this heat, my week night running is limited to the TM. I ran outside last Sunday morning, and felt like the melting one. Dew points in the 70s suck the life out of you.

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hey, all!

I'm kind of playing it by ear for a fall race. If I can sustain my training for a few weeks and feel good about training for a longer race, I might opt into a trail 25K in mid-October. The safer bet will be keeping the mileage a little lower until I'm more confident in my base.

I have a fun 5K at the state fair on the last Sunday of August, and a 7 mile trail race tomorrow. I'm not ready to race 7 miles, but plan to go run it just for fun. I signed up for these two races before my last setback that had me out of training for 5 weeks.

2.5 easy paced last evening, with DW accompanying on her bike. My favorite kind of run!

Either a little bit of biking or some light lifting tonight, depending on the weather.
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For the first time in 10 years, I will not be doing a fall marathon. In order for me to run a marathon time that I'd be happy with, I'd need to loose 10 - 15 pounds. So rather than train for a marathon, I'm going to stay with varied workouts including running, lifting, bike riding & yoga and re-commit to WW to loose that weight. It's all good though, there are a lot worse problems to have besides not wanted to do a marathon.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Nick - I'm kind of in the same boat, I think. My last marathon was NYC in 2014. I took last year off but tried to ramp up training for a spring marathon this year. My body revolted. Or my body is revoluting, maybe? In any regard, I pulled the plug and decided to concentrate on weight loss and base-building. Mixed results so far. I was going pretty well with an eye on a 7/4 10K but then had a bruised rib injury that cost me 5 weeks of training. Back at it now for only a short time (1.5 weeks) and trying hard to avoid the "too much, too soon" pothole.

Stuck at the office still, but it looks gorgeous outside. I would really like to ride my bike tonight!
  • glennowill
    Options
    Coming clean: I still haven't run since I've been back from vacation. I keep telling myself I will in the mornings but by the time I get home in the afternoon something else pops up or I simply blow it off. I'm scouting out fall races currently to get my *kitten* in gear. Found a 4 mile trail race in late September that I think would probably be a good one. I did it last year - my profile picture is from that race. That is the one where we were attacked by hornets around mile 2... hopefully not a repeat of that situation.
  • glennowill
    Options
    Oh *kitten* I didn't realize there was a *kitten* expletive filter on these boards! It truly feels like *kitten* GoaD again!!!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Regarding my 7 mile trail race this evening: it's going to be 90 degrees with high humidity and a 35% chance of rain. Rain would actually be the best thing in this setting. I might decide not to go.