New to this group, looking for more friends that strength train

I first started lifting in 2013 but then I stopped for a while and gained alot of weight and basically had to start over. I've made a ton of progress though and I've finally reached my goal weight. Well, my summer goal weight anyway. I am going to try to start working on putting on some lean muscle weight over the winter. That's my goal anyway. I like to write my own workout plans and do my own thing but I love reading other people's posts and hearing how everyone else does things. I may not be as strong as some of you but I sure am working on that. If anyone wants to add me as a friend I would love that. I do have supportive friends but not that many that are strength training.

Replies

• elzianne
    elzianne Posts: 52 Member
    I'll add you! Anyone else can feel free to add me as well.

FYI - for the past few months, I haven't been logging my workouts in MFP (only food) because I wanted to focus less on calories burned and more on my performance during the workouts. However, I miss having that log of activity and the community here on MFP. I want to start actively posting again! Don't have much weight to lose, but I want to keep building my strength and don't have many friends who lift.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Definitely feel free to add me :) I lift between 2-4x per week, depending on the week. I just finished up my lifting notebook that I started in 2014. Based on the number of pages, I average 3x a week, which isn't bad (finishing that notebook was incredibly satisfying, btw).

I also don't have much weight to lose, although I did gain 8-10lb over the past year through laziness and general surliness. I'm currently cutting to get that off.

My routine was a 4x/week upper/lower split, but recently I've begun doing krav maga 3x week and roller derby practice 1-2x week, as well as circuit training and kettleworx classes at work with clients, so I'm struggling to find a good balance and a way to fit in heavy lifting. I'm leaning toward doing full body lifting 2x/week, which seems like a reasonable compromise.
  • pizzawanter
    pizzawanter Posts: 20 Member
    I'm doing a tweaked version of stronglifts, been out of action for 3 weeks and need some motivation to get back into the routine!
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Hi, I'm fairly new to lifting, but anyone can add me too. I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 as well as run 3 times a week. I have about 20 lbs to lose.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Thanks for the welcome and the adds. I don't always hop over to the community section but I'm trying to get over here more.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Definitely feel free to add me :) I lift between 2-4x per week, depending on the week. I just finished up my lifting notebook that I started in 2014. Based on the number of pages, I average 3x a week, which isn't bad (finishing that notebook was incredibly satisfying, btw).

I also don't have much weight to lose, although I did gain 8-10lb over the past year through laziness and general surliness. I'm currently cutting to get that off.

My routine was a 4x/week upper/lower split, but recently I've begun doing krav maga 3x week and roller derby practice 1-2x week, as well as circuit training and kettleworx classes at work with clients, so I'm struggling to find a good balance and a way to fit in heavy lifting. I'm leaning toward doing full body lifting 2x/week, which seems like a reasonable compromise.

I did Krav for a year and loved it!! I dropped it when my husband was laid off and I couldn't justify the cost for only 2x/week. Boy, the bruises I would come home with!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member

I did Krav for a year and loved it!! I dropped it when my husband was laid off and I couldn't justify the cost for only 2x/week. Boy, the bruises I would come home with!

Right? It's so awesome! I totally slacked on it this week, though, which means Tuesday is going to kick my butt
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I try to get to the weight room twice a week, usually M/W or M/Th. I get lots of breaks, though, as the gym follows the school schedule. This makes it difficult to progress, but I'm ok with maintaining the strength I have built. I might actually be out of the gym now until mid-August, or whenever schools starts again. Trying to decide how to stay strong without it! I'm thinking circuit training videos (like 30 Day Shred type stuff).
  • DancingMoosie
    FYI, writing your own plans and doing it your own way may not be the best way to run a strength training program. I would suggest running a structured program before trying it on your own.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    FYI, writing your own plans and doing it your own way may not be the best way to run a strength training program. I would suggest running a structured program before trying it on your own.
    I've done structured programs. I've read/read a lot on strength training and right now I want to do my own plans. I enjoy it and I think to each their own.
  • DancingMoosie
    Well that's what I meant. You've done structured programs so you know what you're doing. So many people just try to wing it and then wonder why it isn't working. But I agree. I do the 5 main lifts, but add in my own accessories and don't follow the normal progression of 5x5.
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Hiya! Feel free to add me as a pal. Here is a link to recent 5 rep max deadlift: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1190917050929170&id=247742445246640&_rdr
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Add me! Started out buying a bar and bumper set in Oct 2013 to do SL5x5, then purchased a squat rack exactly a year later. Alternated between SL5x5 and Madcow, then moved to a bigger house and upgraded to a half rack. Now I'm programming via JEFIT, and been lifting ever since. On IG @aznbbqgrrl (though my feed is mostly furkids and food).
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    I do strongliftsx3 and Kravx3.