Facing the evidence

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
My darling 14 year old daughter stumbled upon a trove of digital videos she compiled "half a life ago." We had a lot of laughs watching and reminiscing.

Not so much fun, but a helpful eye-opener, was seeing how I looked 7 years and 20-or-so pounds ago. Much more so than a still photo, the video doesn't lie.

*kitten*.

Replies

• KATGIRLNC1972
    KATGIRLNC1972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    oh yeah. I can relate to that. I know I've got some of those sitting in the PC that are cringe-worthy. I find it very hard to watch or even listen to myself, such as a recorded speech (professional development). These days, I'm way lighter than I've been over the past 10 years but it might still be a shocker.
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had a similar reaction when I saw this picture recently...

y5w6v7fi3spo.png

There were a few *kitten* said when I saw this as well, since I've since gained 60+lbs back. The weird thing is that I don't remember what about my mindset was so different back then that kept me lean, but I think we all know the answer was that it was less a mindset and more just putting in the work to track.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Facebook was kind enough to show me pictures of myself almost 25 lbs lighter just a year ago
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    So far, I've only come across one picture but I know there's more. Doesn't matter; that one is enough to remind me of the ghosts of beer, burgers, etc. past. Everyone that knew me 80 pounds ago that sees me now tells me I carried it well, but I really don't want to carry it again!
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    I have a pic of me at 335# on my phones lock screen. Always remember!!!
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,596 Member
    Options
    2tf8vk0oh36l.jpg
    My Morbidly Obese aka Jaba the Hut from Christmas 2007 always helps me remember where I was, where I could drift back to, and how far I have come. It does help get me facing forward and moving again.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    There weren't nearly as many cameras around when I was at my heaviest, so avoidance was very effective. There are very few candids of me so I could minimize the visual damage by sucking in my gut and turning just a bit so as to decrease the obviousness of my girth.

There was one candid photo from about 12 years ago that was a first 'wake up call'. I did not totally humiliate myself by asking my wife who the fat guy in the shorts was. Yep, I didn't recognize myself at first glance. I was in a state of disbelief when I realized whom I was looking at.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,164 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    n8k9h41g4wir.jpg
    Summer 2010.
  • slimriptide
    slimriptide Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest weight in 2006, I was photographed dancing at a wedding. My Niece had that picture mounted on a coffee mug, and gave it to me for Christmas that year. Hate the picture, but it's a daily reminder of what could happen again. And for some reason, this is the one coffee mug that after 10 years still has no chips, cracks, or broken handle. What the *kitten*?
    ~~~Resident Smart *kitten*,
    Rip
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    This is definitely something that works both ways, but the video I referred to was taken when I'd been at goal for about a year and was within a few weeks of running my first marathon. This after losing 30+ on WE. I've likely not been in better condition at any point in the last 30 years. Good reminder that I can get to that point again.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,023 Member
    Options
    Bill - you're fine; it's just the recliner that makes you look fat.

>:)
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,596 Member
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    Bill - you're fine; it's just the recliner that makes you look fat.

>:)

Yeah, that thought pattern made a cardiologist some serious cash
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    q6s2oq22v5h0.jpg

Hard to rationalize
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This ability to post pics is very cool. I'll have to go get a court order to unseal my fat pics. I had hair then too.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i30maeaqui40.jpeg