¿¿No Pork Keto??

Options
_Ghaze_
_Ghaze_ Posts: 8 Member
Beyond frustrated but still wanting to try! I don't want to set myself up for failure which is why I'm doing as much research as I can regarding Keto- BUT... Seriously every meal plan I see has some form of pork in it, which I can't eat. Bacon slices, bits, bacon wrapped everything everywhere! Salami, Prosciutto, ribs etc. Everyone who has ever told me Keto is possible without pork- eats pork in various forms EVERY day. While I'm a Catholic girl- my diet is most def along the teachings of Islam as that's how my stomach works- I just can't take pork at all. So... Google has not helped- is there a Keto handbook for Muslims???? I need it!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Any time you see pork, just sub in some kind of beef cut instead. There are beef based sausages everywhere. About the only thing you likely won't find, is beef bacon, though there's always turkey bacon, and you can just add some extra oil to the cooking process for that, to jack the fat content up.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever meat you want. Fatty meats best. If it's lean, just add fat somewhere else in your meal.
    Keto is simply eating healthy sources of fat and keeping carbs to a minimum.
    I don't really like pork unless it's smoked. Or bacon. :smile: which is still smoked I guess...
    But I mostly eat beef and chicken and some fish.
    You dan absolutely do it without eating pork.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    And since you mentioned Islam, check out the Kofta Kebabs in this article. They originally hail straight from the Middle East. You can even use lamb for them if you like.
    http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2014/05/holy-keto-2-meatballs-*kitten*-searing.html

Dammit, give me a sec and I'll change the link to a tinyurl, because this website's profanity filter is retarded.
    http://tinyurl.com/l9hpfzt There.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    John Morrell and I believe Trader Joe's makes beef bacon. Pork is cheap and easy so that is why it is used so often. Personally I would eat ribeyes exclusively if I could afford to do it
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If I can do it as a vegetarian, you can definitely do it without pork! Instead of looking at meal plans that are already set up telling you exactly what to eat, browse through Pinterest and some of the Keto/Low Carb websites and compile a bunch of recipes and make your own menu.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    YESSSS!!!! RIBEYES!!!! Every.single.day!!! 0xmi7rlt6kkd.jpg
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yup I have also as a vegetarian made Keto work just fine, when I was researching this WOE to see if it was possible I googled Keto vegetarian and there were tons of ideas and recipies! No.pork will be a cinch,
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My daughter-in-law is venturing into LCHF now, and she is vegan! She's found at least one website for support.

So, to echo everyone else: Yes! You can do LCHF without pork!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I see dairy more often than I see pork, but if you are noticing it more I bet it just has to do with the fact that pork is in genera less $/lb. than beef.
    Also the whole "keto = bacon free for all" meme.