Something weird is going on with the calories

mrsf15h
mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
So linked up my fitbit flex with myfitnesspal for over a year now. No problems at all.
Synced it the other day and myfitnesspal is saying I have earnt an extra 8,204 calories from completing 10, 000 steps.
I have got the negative adjustment on.
Really confused. What can I do to solve it?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Something is off, for sure. Check all your settings, on both accounts. Re-enter your weight, even if it looks right (there was a bug involving this a while back, and although I'd thought it was fixed, it never hurts to be sure).
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    Wow!!!! You get to eat an entire cheesecake!!! Woohoo!!!

JK. That is weird.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    If only you could transfer those extra calories... I would like them. :P

On a serious note, I agree with checking your settings on both sites and also go in to see how many steps MFP is showing coming in from Fitbit.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited August 2016
    Agree w/ all of the above.

You can narrow down what/where the issue is by checking out your calculations on both sites.

First, if this is for the current day (sorry, it's not clear if this is for today or a previous day), check your Fitbit itself and how many calories it says you've burned so far today. If it's crazypants, try resetting your Fitbit. If that doesn't help, move on.

Next, log on to Fitbit. Check out how many calories your dashboard says you have burned so far (or burned in total). If it's crazy there (whether it matches your Fitbit or not), check your weight/age/height/etc settings in your Fitbit account (if your weight is wrong, make sure the correction transfers to MFP as well since weights sync across accounts like calories). If they're all correct, contact Fitbit support - there may be a bug in your account or an issue with your Fitbit itself.

If everything seems normal on the Fitbit side, log on to MFP and go to your Exercise Diary, where I assume the nutty adjustment appears (if you see a different adjustment here than what appears in your diary, contact MFP support). Click on the blue circle with the "i" under "Fitbit calorie adjustment." If the "Fitbit Calories Burned" is way off and does not agree with your Fitbit dashboard (within a small margin of error, depending on sync timing) [ETA: sorry, to be clear, here you're looking at the number in small type in parentheses, rather than the estimate of what you'll burn over the whole day as calculated by MFP], try un-linking and re-linking your Fitbit and MFP accounts and double checking your height/age/weight settings in MFP (again making sure the correct weight appears in both accounts). If that doesn't help, contact MFP support.

If your Fitbit Calories Burned number is accurate, perhaps your "MFP Calories Burned" number is off (though, I don't know how mathematically that could be off enough to give you a 8,000+ adjustment). If that's crazypants, check your MFP settings. If they're correct, contact MFP support.

Hope that helps!
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Hi all. Thanks for the help. Sadly I didn't decide to eat the biggest cheesecake in the world.
    Somehow it has managed to correct itself. Have no idea what it did but it has sorted itself out.
    Fitbit obviously didn't like me no syncing it for a week whilst I was on holiday.
    Thanks for all your advice tho xxxx