binge eating support

Options
yuggybuggy
yuggybuggy Posts: 20 Member
So I thought I would begin a separate thread where I can post some of the advice I am given through mh team and based upon this book
'Overcoming Bulimia Nervosa AND Binge-eating' by Peter Cooper - this was the book recommended by our eating disorder service

there is another book 'Overcoming Binge Eating' by Dr Christopher Fairburn - which is very similar and based on the same ideas

so it is based around CBT
and if you really want to know the details, I am afraid you will have to buy the book
but I will try to briefly summarise the stages and hope I don't get into trouble for writing their ideas here

stage 1 - recording what you eat and drink, everything, even in a binge (which as you will know is very hard to keep track of)
write what you eat, where and when its eaten, whether you consider it a binge rather than a meal
and anything else like what was happening how you felt etc

this can be a real eyeopener - to how much you eat, to how you may only binge in certain rooms, at certain times, etc

this is to identify patterns

stage 2 - making a timetable for your meals - deciding AND RECORDING when you plan to eat your meals and snacks (I have a major issue around planning snacks, as they tend to be very impulsive for me)

you don't have to stick to the precise minute, but try to keep roughly to the times and then you can tell yourself when you are allowed to eat again

stage 3 - learning to intervene - is about planning how to help yourself when things get really tough/tempting
so have some activities to hand, people to talk to, plan things ahead if you know something is going to be particularly challenging, don't leave food lying around, limit how much food is easy to access, shop with a list and NEVER when you are hungry

these first 3 stages can take weeks/months and you need to be secure in each one before moving on to the next
and they build on each other, so you keep monitoring, you keep timetabling, you keep problem solving - ALL TOGETHER

I think that is enough for now
the other stages are really hard, or I find them hard and haven't managed to achieve them yet

I hope this helps someone

good wishes xx

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think there is a bed group on mfp as well
  • yuggybuggy
    Options
    sorry
    this isn't meant to be a binge ed group
    I just wrote this here so it didn't take over the other persons thread
    maybe I shouldn't have done this
    I generally don't start things like this I just wanted to help as people asked me to
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Oh no I wasn't saying that, I just wasn't sure if you knew about the other group that might be helpful to you.
  • yuggybuggy
    Options
    oh ok, will take a look
    thank you
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this @yuggybuggy. I was just scrolling through all recent posts to see if there was anything I had missed lately and was glad to find this cuz I was one of the folks requesting more info. Thank you for providing the names of the 2 books also. Going to check them out now.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @yuggybuggy MFP has really helped me with the logging everything part.i binge eat much less often now than I did a few years ago. Eating nuts at computer when stressed is a big problem for me. I can't keep them around anymore. I'm trying to deal with feelings instead of pushing them down with food. Yuck and ugh! So hard! Thanks for your post. Will look up those books.