Maintaining as a Keto Runner?

Options
JessicaMcB
JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
I started this WOE in February and am currently down a hair over 80lbs. Ideally I'd like to finish my cut at 130 so I'm trying to fine tune energy balance now. Does anyone have experience maintaining as a ketogenic runner? I try to bank at least 40k a week (currently adding in one 25K Saturday per week in addition) and I'm trying to figure out the calorie balance for maintenance and I'm finding it a bit dodgy with Fitbit's estimates. How do you account for your mileage?

For reference 5'9", 132lbs, following OKL chart values. TIA for any knowledge you have to share (bonus points if you're a marathoner who lifts and wants to tell me their scheduling secrets before I enter marathon training and recomp lol)!

7mh7cf5mob63.jpg

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Not a runner but just wanted to say congrats on your loss! You look fab!
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    Not a runner but just wanted to say congrats on your loss! You look fab!

Thanks! Very grateful to have found the keto way (totally by chance through a facebook debate group haha), I have my life back and can enjoy my three kids a lot better! But if I lose much more my doctor is gonna give me major side eye :/ haha
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Not a runner either but Wow! Nice work.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My only real cardio consists of walking fast with a weighted vest on, so I can offer almost nothing except, damn, well done.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You might post this on runketo.com discussion group on Facebook. Lots of die-hard, long distance runners there. YOU ARE AWESOME!
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    I'll check that out now, thanks @erinseattle ! I find keto running resources to be really tough to come by so hopefully they can help me out. Thanks all for your kind words, keto has been good to me :)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    i do ultra cycling on keto and I really have to watch my weight now, to make sure I don't lose too much. I've been searching a lot for good info, but like you I find it's hard to come by.

I train about 5 days out of every week, HIT mostly, one medium length ride (3 hours) and one long ride (6 hours). I found I had to really up the calories if I don't want to lose too much weight. There's a optimal power/weight ratio, and I'm trying to stick to that. I had a hard time eating while I'm riding, and the temptation is to eat too little then, because it's not that necessary on keto. I did find however, that properly fueling does make a difference in weight and eating off the bike and I started taking UCAN power starch based preps. Monitoring performance and weight to see how that goes.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! AMAZING results!!! Congrats!
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    i do ultra cycling on keto and I really have to watch my weight now, to make sure I don't lose too much. I've been searching a lot for good info, but like you I find it's hard to come by.

I train about 5 days out of every week, HIT mostly, one medium length ride (3 hours) and one long ride (6 hours). I found I had to really up the calories if I don't want to lose too much weight. There's a optimal power/weight ratio, and I'm trying to stick to that. I had a hard time eating while I'm riding, and the temptation is to eat too little then, because it's not that necessary on keto. I did find however, that properly fueling does make a difference in weight and eating off the bike and I started taking UCAN power starch based preps. Monitoring performance and weight to see how that goes.

I'm finding I don't want to eat at all on longer rides, but I end up with a huge deficit at the end of the day. Those deficits catch up to me in the evenings and I end up feeling depleted unless I force myself to eat during the ride. BPC on the bike would be perfect!

I have not yet experimented with UCAN because I am still around 40 pounds heavier than I want to be - looking forward to hearing about your results.

To the OP: Just...WOW. What an inspiration.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

While I was browsing Zero Carb Zen, I found this article about an Ultra Marathon runner:

https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/03/27/zero-carb-interview-ultra-marathoner-ana-teixeira/

Also, here is a video of another Ultra Runner who follows a Paleo/Keto lifestyle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96VZFklUM_Q

Hope this gives you some insight. I am sorry I cannot give personal experience...I hate running lol
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Majcolorado, I have the same experience. I've been looking for a way to do BPC on the bike, or make fat bombs in squeezy bottles, like a kind of energy gel. I took mpc oil and a exogenous ketone formula (ketocana). Worked in terms of energy, but was really tough on the GI tract. I have started to eat immediately after stopping the ride, even though I don't feel like it. This seems to go well, but it's still marginal in terms of weightloss, because the deficits are so huge!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Hiked about 5 miles in the mountains today fasted with the exception of taking 1-scoop of the UCAN SS (80-cals). No bonking at all. I ran the 1st .75 miles up the mountain and later carried a grandson (about 40-lbs) on my shoulders for a quarter mile or so. Have no idea what it would do to a person in ketosis but it definitely allows me to do stuff that I couldn't do just fasted.

This stuff is very easy on the GI tract also.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Hiked about 5 miles in the mountains today fasted with the exception of taking 1-scoop of the UCAN SS (80-cals). No bonking at all. I ran the 1st .75 miles up the mountain and later carried a grandson (about 40-lbs) on my shoulders for a quarter mile or so. Have no idea what it would do to a person in ketosis but it definitely allows me to do stuff that I couldn't do just fasted.

Necro thread haha ;) .

Update I guess, since this thread was originally posted I've actually run as far as a full marathon keto, bonking/performance is a non-issue here. Weight maintenance continues to be dodgy (I lost too hard last year and ended up at 123 by seasons end) so my strategy this year was to gain up about 10lbs in advance of my opener a couple of weeks ago so that I have the margin to lose it all again by fall without sweating it.
  • blambo61
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »

Necro thread haha ;) .

Update I guess, since this thread was originally posted I've actually run as far as a full marathon keto, bonking/performance is a non-issue here. Weight maintenance continues to be dodgy (I lost too hard last year and ended up at 123 by seasons end) so my strategy this year was to gain up about 10lbs in advance of my opener a couple of weeks ago so that I have the margin to lose it all again by fall without sweating it.

I can work out low carb when I eat but I'm also talking about working out without eating anything. I've read some keto folks that are fat adapted enough can do very long exercise sessions without eating. Where I'm at right now, the stuff helps a lot for not bonking when I'm fasted. What is a Necro thread?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    "necro thread" means it has been dead for a while.
    I had missed it though so I appreciated reading it! I have found keto good for running stamina but I'm not doing more than 3-4 miles at a time. (I've done a 10K in the past and might again but I have no desire to run longer than 7-8 miles at a time. :))
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    "necro thread" means it has been dead for a while.
    I had missed it though so I appreciated reading it! I have found keto good for running stamina but I'm not doing more than 3-4 miles at a time. (I've done a 10K in the past and might again but I have no desire to run longer than 7-8 miles at a time. :))

Also called a Zombie Thread. Comes back from the dead. :lol:
  • blambo61
    Options
    I resurrected it cause I looked up some references for UCAN and it led me here. I just wanted to report my experience with it.