They are learning! "Rethinking Diabetes Nutrition" - article from Clinical Endocrinology News

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Wait,, how do you test ketones with a blood meter!?!?!

You use the Precision XTRA meter and the test strips for ketones. Insert the test strip into the meter, poke your finger, squeeze enough blood out to fill the strip, put the strip against the blood to take it into the strip, and wait for results.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @ProCoffeenator - Some of them test blood ketones. You can get one free online, but the strips are crazy expensive. Often, if you pay out to get a meter, the strips are less... It's a compromise. But if you want to test regularly and cost effectively, a Ketonix/breath device may be a better option... @DittoDan has some great info on those.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Bingo!

@_Sunny_Bunny_, you had a classic line a few months ago, something like,

"Who wouldn't eat a plate of horse poop every day if that's all they had to do to keep their legs or their eyeballs?"

We should all be glad for the technology and the few pennies it costs to stay on top of our BG. No idea how anyone gets by (or at least avoids insulin) without it!

Ummm I would definitely take blindness over a daily plate of horse poop. But fortunately that's not a choice i have to make. Daily finger pricking every few hours though, no biggie, and I was terrified of needles 10 years ago and still have to close my eyes when they draw my blood. You just have to find good lancets and a decent stabby thingy, mine doesnt hurt at all, and i'm a big baby when it comes to pain.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Cake or death = /=
    Manure or blind
    ???

There must be things about horse manure I don't understand....

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Cake or death = /=
    Manure or blind
    ???

There must be things about horse manure I don't understand....

Me too! I'd eat the poop if it would cure me of a deadly illness. Seeing my dad go through chemo and radiation... I'm pretty sure he would've chosen the poop too if it were the cure
    Maybe I could handle a spoonful a day if it were the cure for blindness and I had such an issue. :wink:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For all the other artistes out there... My favorite colouring book - I got it as a medical textbook when I was doing my Physio Rehab work. Was great for copying and giving out to clients so they understood what was happening mechanically with their bodies.

417T3GTWD4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's actually a great memory aid and learning tool for medical students.

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My kids gave me this one for Mother's Day:
    1rljma3x0iax.jpg

The only reason I haven't been testing is that I can never remember if I'm supposed to do it 2 hours after I START eating, or 2 hours after I FINISH. I'm such a dork.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    post meal testing should be done 2 hours from the time you started to eat
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    My kids gave me this one for Mother's Day:
    1rljma3x0iax.jpg

I must find this. My youngest daughter would LOVE it!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny I have one of the Sweary ones; gave a copy to my friend who loves to swear! Amazon sells them.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Great thread everyone! People need to get back to realizing that T2D is a MANAGEABLE disease. It is not something we have to medicate ourselves with because "oh theres no cure". NO, Type 1 diabetics have no insulin production and they NEED a cure but T2D can be managed. For some reason, people want to see diabetes either as fatalist or as no big deal. For those who think diabetes is no big deal need to visit an old folks home and see how miserable it is to be without a LIMB, or BLIND, or worse, like my poor aunt, BOTH. Sorry for the caps, I get worked up because I was only one those people with my head in the sand until I had a health epiphany. I WANT TO LIVE. And live well! I refuse to succumb to something so easy to manage or even reverse. <gets off soap box>

Or cases like my stepdad's mom -- Alzheimer's and amputations. I don't remember the extent to which they had to amputate, but I'm pretty sure she lost at least one foot. Before she passed away, the Alzheimer's was so bad that she barely remembered her own children. She had gone downhill pretty fast, too, especially once she went into the nursing home. :(
  • bensnj
    bensnj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A problem that hadn't been addressed is the cost of the test strips themselves.
    I can only use one particular strip because my meter "reports" my numbers to my glucose monitor.There are currently NO mail order Medicare approved distributors, but I can get them locally....right now.The prices have steadily risen because there is only one source.:-(
    I have been through MANY diabetic education programs. My memory of my first one was that
    I would be able to eat two Graham crackers as my "special" snack each day !!!! Dietitians, hospital
    programs, and endo info have good intentions , but most of what I know has been learned through
    trial and error. What I have read here has added to my knowledge.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    bensnj wrote: »
    A problem that hadn't been addressed is the cost of the test strips themselves.
    I can only use one particular strip because my meter "reports" my numbers to my glucose monitor.There are currently NO mail order Medicare approved distributors, but I can get them locally....right now.The prices have steadily risen because there is only one source.:-(
    I have been through MANY diabetic education programs. My memory of my first one was that
    I would be able to eat two Graham crackers as my "special" snack each day !!!! Dietitians, hospital
    programs, and endo info have good intentions , but most of what I know has been learned through
    trial and error. What I have read here has added to my knowledge.

Does your doc require a specific glucose monitor? Is this an app on your phone? Can you ask your doc for a prescription of strips for testing 6 times a day? I did and received a three month supply for 6 tests a day for $25 (CVS Caremark) Is this what I am facing when I turn 65 and we no longer have company insurance (Anthem)? We use the One Touch Mini, I write my results down on a log sheet for the doc and manually use an app called On Track, for my interpretations.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    A silly side note to "gross" aspect of horse poo...remember it is all veggie based..and most of us have little daily experience of it...in the "natural clay plasters" world the very BEST natural material added to clay is shredded, dried horse puckies.. very crumbly, mostly fine hay fibers, totally dry, NO smell at all!

So like Sunny Bunny, I would toast the hell out of one, and pretend it was shredded wheat, which is IS. No one said it had to be fresh..and until faced with endless pain and sick beyond enduring ...we don't know the choice we'd make.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @MyriiStorm -

Here's my endo's take. (She's a taskmistress but a genuine diabetes whiz, and she took me seriously when I said I wanted to keep my eyes, toes, and ticker!)

There's never a good reason not to test. But there are all sorts of bad reasons not to test.

No harm doing both 1 and 2 hours post-meal (post when you start), until you've got a good handle on your own personal response pattern.

Diabetics tend to spike sooner, and 2 hours may not catch your BG at peak. Peaks do matter.

Knowledge = power! No reason not to test frequently (8-10x/daily) until you have settled into a routine with your food, meds, and exercise so that you can almost predict your BG levels (ha!)

Me, I'm still surprised daily. So 5-10 it is.... :s
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @RalfLott. I think part of my problem is my ADHD, in that it is hard for me to put all the pieces together into one plan - remembering to test, recording what I ate, recording if anything special/stressful is happening, and keeping track of where I've put all these little notes with numbers and foods. I stopped trying months ago.

What just struck me today is that I am now (since June) recording everything I eat anyway. And MFP has a place to put Notes every day, so it would not be difficult to record BG numbers and moods/situations. And it's all on my phone, which is always with me! Light bulb moment!!

My insurance pays 100% of my strips and lancets, so I could easily test 10 times a day. I really have no excuse now.
  • bensnj
    bensnj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Aquawave- My doctor uses Medtronic glucose monitors, which is the leading company.
    The monitor really improves the quality of life for a PWD type 1. With Medicare, there is a lot more
    paperwork and verification. You must "document" your test strip uses, so you receive "exactly"
    the number of test strips.....if you test 3 times a day, you will receive enough for 3 times a day.
    Even if they are prescribed by your doctor, you can not get more than your numbers indicate you
    need. He has to send in paperwork every three months, and I sometimes have to send in paperwork to
    distributors for their documentation. The supplies I need are also closely regulated....they arrive
    within a specified time period. If you can use a variety of test strips and meters, you should have
    a much easier time. I also have a secondary insurance so I am luckier than most. I still write down
    my numbers every day, but the stats can also be downloaded. Medicare brings an adjustment
    from traditional insurance, but being aware of the transition makes it easier :-) It's all good :-)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @MyriiStorm -

I also do not have attention-surplus disorder, so I feel your lack of pain from doing tedious things compulsively.....

The hook is that it is really fascinating to watch your BG move around! (Seriously.) I am still surprised all the time.

And it is really gratifying when you start seeing your BG easing its way back down as you figure it all out.

(You can get meters that can download their data to your laptop without much hassle, if you're inclined.)

Toes & eyes = good
    Alzheimer's & dialysis = bad