Fit by 50

I'm looking for some inspiration, motivation, advice, and laughs. Going to turn 50 Sept. of next year and want to get into the best shape I've been in a long time. Anyone want to share the journey and help motivate each other, that would be very welcomed :)

Replies

• pkosmicki
    pkosmicki Posts: 7 Member
    I am determined to be fit by 50 also, I do have 2 years soooo I better get on it:)
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 302 Member
    I am also on that journey. Spent my 40's over or around 200. I'm 47 almost 48 and now I have disc issues, SiAtic, joint issues. Praying I can turn this around and be down by 50 by 50. My body is screaming at me and this back issue finally got my attention. I can't focus on everything else and ignore my body and health.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Hi! Count me in! I'm 47 and 50 is just around the corner.... trying to keep fit and have a bit of fun.
  • SwissDave
    SwissDave Posts: 57 Member
    I'm in! Sept 2017 is my 50th too.
  • ndetmer
    ndetmer Posts: 18 Member
    3 years out and trying to hit that mark.
  • shawnele
    shawnele Posts: 58 Member
    Me too! I'll be 50 in October of next year. My hubs was telling his mother that I have gotten serious about getting fit because I knew it would be harder in my 50s than in my 40s. She said she did the same thing and joined Jazzercise when she was 48. In the following year and a half she took her body fat from 33% to 22%.
  • ma_bitts
    ma_bitts Posts: 16 Member
    This is my goal too! 20ish pounds down, 50 to go by 50 (a year and a half away).
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    I'm definitely in! About 30 lbs. to go to goal and I'll be 50 in 3 years! Yikes!!
  • KimATX
    KimATX Posts: 12 Member
    I'm in! I'll be 50 in 2018. Just restarted MFP today!
  • distitch
    distitch Posts: 4 Member
    42 .... working hard every day
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    46 in November and haven't been below 200 in 22 years. Lost 60, gained back 25 and I refuse to "rebuy" those larger sizes again!!! Day 3 of restart...
  • percycat1
    percycat1 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm in. I am 48 and will celebrate my birthday in November. I am currently "obese", but hope to be "overweight" by my birthday. Actually, its more than hope, because I am working at it by running and watching what I eat. I want to be a healthy weight by my 50th birthday next year. 13 lbs to go this year; 35 lbs to go next year.....

I also want to participate in a sprint triathlon next spring. There -- its out there -- hold me accountable! : )
  • daltontf
    daltontf Posts: 63 Member
    I'll be 50 in Dec. 2016.

Weigh about 205 currently.

Was 230 a couple of years ago.

Want to get to < 200 and then I'm OK with bulking back up to 205 or so to hit some strength goals with the weights.

Also, want to try a triathlon next year or better yet, an xterra (have mountain bike only).
  • lotsafun2004
    lotsafun2004 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm creeping up on 47. I did Crossfit last year but I wasn't seeing the progression. A couple of weeks ago I reset my fitness routine. I hired a trainer twice a week and restarted tracking with MFP. Inspired by a high school friend (friends for 40 years) who worked with a trainer for two years, became so passionate about lifting that she quit her office job of 25 years and became a trainer full time. I have about 20 pounds to shed and/or sculpt. :-)
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I will be 50 in April, which is unbelievable to me. My mom was an OLD woman at 50. Not me! My goal is to hit my final weight by the time that I turn 50, and to keep the weight off for the rest of my life. Here's to US!! :)
  • Playball549
    Playball549 Posts: 35 Member
    I am going to be 50 next August. I am going to be in better shape than when I was 30. Only if I knew then what I know now! I would love friends who are nearing this awesome age.
  • Snakeophelia
    Snakeophelia Posts: 1 Member
    I just turned 48 and am in the worst shape of my life, due to early menopause (I'm three years in) and a disc issue. :( MFP has been incredibly helpful in the past and I need it now more than ever. I'm just hungry all the time, although I think it's more a matter of being tired. Anyway, I'm back on here and determined to meet my 50's in much better shape!
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    edited October 2016
    I joined MFP back in 2013, and lost almost 40#. I kept 20 of it off, but life got in the way! Fast forward to 2016, and I'm now a Type 1 diabetic. Getting my sugar under control, and counting carbs again, I'm almost back to my 2013 loss! I'm way more picky about snacks since I have to take insulin, I often decide it's just not worth it!

My biggest challenge is getting off my rear! I have a desk job, and once I sit down at home, I'm done! If I keep moving, laundry, dog walking, unpacking boxes, I do much better. I worked in the football concession stand a lot this fall, just to stay moving!

Forgot to say that I'll be 50 in August 2017.
  • jaxibee
    jaxibee Posts: 9 Member
    I'm in!!! Going to the big 5-0 October 2017!!! Came back to MFP two months ago to get started on my goal of being Fit by 50...down 20 pounds...about 30 more to go. I don't just want to smaller...more interested in getting stronger and healthier!!
  • FLBuckeye34
    FLBuckeye34 Posts: 14 Member
    I have been on this hit an miss but never used all the tools... I think if you want to be serious its all part of the journey by documenting things..... This is a huge challenge for me, more than eating..... Im not the most organized person but hey Im open to improve all areas.... I will be 50 in April so I am really under the gun in a sense..... I had a rough time from 2011- early 2016. I was on different types of meds for PTSD and man did I gain weight but I didnt care if you understand how that stuff works.... I learned a lot of coping skills that have made me successful in dealing with this all without meds.... I was so grateful to get off that stuff you have no idea!!!!!! I said since the inside was healed up its time to face what happened to my body! My goals are not how much I weigh but rather how ripped I can get! Im Brian feel free to add me and we can swap stories..... I have over 35yrs in all aspects of training but really starting to learn about nutrition(never too late)! God Bless you all!