Food & Nutrition - Recipes

Options
Who's hitting their protein level but keeping sodium & fats in check? That's super tough for me to do and keep variety in the plan.
Anybody have any great recipes to help me out here?

Replies

• akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can help much. I go over on fat every day, and usually sodium too. But, I am not too concerned about the fat as long as it doesn't throw me over my calories. I would rather have too much fat than go too high on carbs and I figure in order to lower one I have to raise the other.
  • RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Who's hitting their protein level but keeping sodium & fats in check? That's super tough for me to do and keep variety in the plan.
    Anybody have any great recipes to help me out here?

How much protein are you aiming for? I have my diary set up with different goals then what my fitness pal states. I currently am at 130-140g protein. I aim for around 100g of carbs and then I leave fat to do what it likes. If you want lots of protein and low fat then I would try lean cuts of meat like chicken breast, ground turkey instead of beef and fish. Also protein drinks are great for being high in protein and low in fat.

• kimpacheco22
    kimpacheco22 Posts: 86 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't seem to be having that issue. I'm actually way above my protein and way below my sodium according to MFP. I'm following the 21 Day Fix meal plan from Beachbody. I can share some recipes from there if that helps?
  • jenniebean310
    jenniebean310 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a higher concern of mine than fat not only because of water retention but family history of heart conditions/high blood pressure. I focus a lot on lean meats but my sodium is high more often than not when I do. I do have my great days but also like to have variety in my meal plan and the creativity there is where I struggle. Any successful recipes you ladies have to share that have been tested & tried I'm all for.
  • RosslandMTBr
    Options
    Vietnamese meatballs

2 lbs of ground turkey
    Breadcrumbs
    3 tbsp lemon grass paste
    1/4 cup fish sauce
    3 cloves of garlic (or more if you like garlic)
    Fresh mint cut up finely (I use a lot)
    1 onion

Combine all ingredients and roll them into balls.
    Warm up some honey and baste the meatballs.
    Cook at 400 for 20 mins or until cooked through.
  • kimpacheco22
    kimpacheco22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Southwestern Rice and Bean Salad

Total Time: 1 hr. 10 min.
    Prep Time: 10 min.
    Cooking Time: None
    Yield: 8 servings, about 1 cup each

Ingredients:
    2 cups cooked brown rice (or other cooked whole grain)
    1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained, rinsed
    2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
    1 medium tomato, finely chopped
    3 green onions, finely chopped
    2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    ¼ cup white wine vinegar
    ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 medium jalapeño, finely chopped (or cayenne pepper to taste)
    1 tsp. mild chili powder

Preparation:
    1. Combine rice, beans, corn, tomato, green onions, oil, vinegar, cilantro, jalapeño, and chili powder in a large serving bowl; mix well.
    2. For best flavor, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

Tip: Rice can be mixed into salad, or all other ingredients can be combined and served over the rice.52vpxcqajb45.jpeg
  • jenniebean310
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I'll try to add them to next weeks plan & let you know how they worked out. I make a full menu every week & try to stick to it but of course there are slips when running around. I'll pull my book out tonight a post one or two of my successful dishes too!
  • sNachers
    sNachers Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am making Creamy Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps!

1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 diced onion
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp cumin
    1 chipotle chili, minced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup whole milk
    12oz cooked shredded chicken
    Lettuce for wrap (I'm going to use romaine)

Saute onion in coconut oil for 5 minutes, add salt, oregano, cumin, chipotle, garlic and stir together. Add whole milk, bring to boil. Add chicken, stir. Serve on lettuce wrap.
    The recipe says it's 2 cups for 243 calories!

I'm also going to add some homemade pico de gallo :)
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yumm! Love Chipotle chile!
  • sNachers
    Options
    akmomof7 wrote: »
    Yumm! Love Chipotle chile!

It was SOOOOOO good!!! The Pico de gallo was super hot, even made the hubby sweat! haha. I would recommend this, it was great on the romaine leaves and very filling!
  • jenniebean310
    Options
    Not sure if I can fit all of these into my meal plan back to school week has really messed with my schedule but I'm going to try. Have some produce to go through before re-sticking the fridge though. They all sound yummy & I know I still need to pull my book out and post as promised, I just refuse to let that rob me of my workouts or already limited sleep. You ladies rock, thank you.
  • jenniebean310
    Options
    bbgraine wrote: »
    Vietnamese meatballs

2 lbs of ground turkey
    Breadcrumbs
    3 tbsp lemon grass paste
    1/4 cup fish sauce
    1 onion

Oh my gosh... These are AMAZING!!!!! Served them with some soba noodles, cucumber & tomatoe. Will be making them again for sure! My 1st grader wants to take them to lunch tomorrow and my 16 month old screamed for more!
  • jenniebean310
    Options
    PS my teenager messed with my autocorrect dictionary. Tomatoe???!!! LOL
  • RosslandMTBr
    Options
    bbgraine wrote: »
    Vietnamese meatballs

2 lbs of ground turkey
    Breadcrumbs
    3 tbsp lemon grass paste
    1/4 cup fish sauce
    1 onion

Oh my gosh... These are AMAZING!!!!! Served them with some soba noodles, cucumber & tomatoe. Will be making them again for sure! My 1st grader wants to take them to lunch tomorrow and my 16 month old screamed for more!

So glad you like them. It's one of my favourite recipes. I don't usually like meatballs but these are a family favourite in my house.
  • sNachers
    Options
    Last night I made baked Parmesan zucchini rounds. Holy YUM! So easy and so good. I've really been trying to make new, to our family, healthy foods.

2 medium zucchinis
    Garlic Salt
    Pepper
    Parmesan cheese (grated)

Line baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Slice zucchini 1/4 in. thick, place close together on baking sheet. Sprinkle zucchini with garlic salt and pepper, spoon on Parmesan cheese. Back at 425 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Enjoy immediately!
  • CarmsPhotoTales
    CarmsPhotoTales Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    sNachers wrote: »
    Last night I made baked Parmesan zucchini rounds. Holy YUM! So easy and so good. I've really been trying to make new, to our family, healthy foods.

2 medium zucchinis
    Garlic Salt
    Pepper
    Parmesan cheese (grated)

Line baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Slice zucchini 1/4 in. thick, place close together on baking sheet. Sprinkle zucchini with garlic salt and pepper, spoon on Parmesan cheese. Back at 425 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Enjoy immediately!

I do something like this in foil on the BBQ too. Yummy.