Any recommendations for Lindt

Options
riaward1990
riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
I'm just wondering what everyone's favourite lindt chocolate is for this WOE.

They have just opened a new store within a mile of my house. A friend sent me a photo of their massive selection of dark chocolates, including cocoa content of up to 99%. I will visit and pick something to try as even though I am low carb, I do budget for some dark chocolate once or twice a week, usually a 10-20g portion.

I don't want to turn up there not knowing what to get, I could be more tempted to buy them all and I know it's harder to control portions if I've got tuns in the house.

Any recommendations welcome, including any recipes using the chocolate.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I only have store stuff available. Generally I start at 70% and go up to tolerance. I like the 85% range best... I don't know what they have in the actual storefront... That being said, Lindt chocolate from WM is far from my favorite brand. Good luck!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The 99% is an acquired taste. If you enjoy really high quality coffee beans and your drink it black, you might like the 99% if you focus on savouring the taste of the cacao bean.

I have the 99 and 90% in my pantry and I eat a small square of 99, followed by a square of 90% with a cup of chai tea in the evening. You can really appreciate the sweetness of the 90% after the square of 99%.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    i tried the 90% and it was NOT for me lol . I like the 74%
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I love 85% and 90% cacao. Though, I also enjoy 100% cacao (unsweetened) so I might be a little biased on the high %.
  • riaward1990
    Options
    Im eating 75-80% at the moment but I am looking to up the content and get used to it.

From what I can see, theres plain dark with varying %s, dark with sea salt, mint, lime, chili, orange, blueberry, raspberry, coconut, passion fruit.

When I first started LCHF the darkest I could take was G&B dark mint choc. I then tried a G&B 90% but it was too bitter at the time. I ended up melting it and mixing with cream and stevia.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% when I want chocolate (which is rare), but the only brand that I've found that isn't *kitten* is Ghirardelli.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I buy the Lindt 90% and serving size packets of almond butter. I eat one square of the chocolate slathered with the almond butter. It's my version of Reese's ;)

That sounds delicious. Will need to use this during a certain TOM lol
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I love the Lindt 90%. I often pair it with a little cashew or peanut butter. Yum!
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love the sea salt one! Its my favorite. Not sure what % it is, but its my little treat when nothing else will do :)
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I normally get the 85% but occasionally splurge on the Chili... which is much higher in sugar/carb, but that heat just adds a nice touch for an extra special treat sometimes!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I enjoy 85% mostly, and yes I also enjoy 99% (although it's ridiculously difficult to find here). I do enjoy the flavours too, just more in moderation. They have slightly more carbs I think. My favourite flavours are Orange Excellence and the Salted Caramel.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have raw cacao butter that I occasionally nibble on or break a piece off for my morning coffee. That is about the extent of my chocolate. I avoid the sweet taste as it is a trigger for me
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    I have raw cacao butter that I occasionally nibble on or break a piece off for my morning coffee. That is about the extent of my chocolate. I avoid the sweet taste as it is a trigger for me

I understand this. I don't want to get in the habit of eating it every day, so I've been strengthening my self control by telling myself no. I have a serious history of endulging too much, of course hence the weight gain. I'm teaching myself all over about being moderate with treats. Aaaaah, knowledge is nothing without application!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I was in a specialty grocery store in Durham and began talking to a woman who was perusing the candy aisle for an extended period of time. Long story short, she was a resident at Duke's Rice Diet clinic and said they were encouraged to walk for exercise but never take money on their walks. Fast forward to today, I often find myself fondling foods in the supermarkets. Chocolates are one of the items I dare not purchase.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I love their 90% chocolate with a cup of tea that will compliment it (something sweet to balance the bitterness), or shaved over vanilla ice cream with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I have 2 squares almost every night to have in bed while hubby is mowing down a bag of chips, an ice cream bar or some high carb treat. He's one of those people that can eat almost anything and not gain a lb because he walks around all day and gets in 15,000 steps :)

Don't be worried about not knowing what to get either, just tell the employees you need something without a lot of sugar and steer them towards the dark chocolate. They are usually more than happy to help you find something and sometimes will give you samples.
  • riaward1990
    Options
    Well, I did visit the shop. It looks lovely and there is a lot of choice. The flavoured options were a bit higher in carbs but they also had a wonderful selection of pick n mix which i decided to try. I have got some mini bars of the plain dark types and a couple of the dark truffles in the pic n mix. I've weighed the mini bars and packaged are 6g each so I think we'll be handy for portion control. The truffles weight about 13-14g each and have 5g total carbs in each one.

They will be nice for the occasional treat when I'm in need of a chocolate hit.

I'm not sure if I'll be going to the shop much, from the moment you walk in to when you leave, there are lots of employees offering free samples of all their products. I don't know if my willpower could take it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »

I understand this. I don't want to get in the habit of eating it every day, so I've been strengthening my self control by telling myself no. I have a serious history of endulging too much, of course hence the weight gain. I'm teaching myself all over about being moderate with treats. Aaaaah, knowledge is nothing without application!

Ironically, @SuperCarLori - I admit to being a full on chocolate addict, but having my Fatty Cocoa for breakfast, I don't really crave any chocolate any other time, except maybe once every 2 or so weeks lately. It's been a real eye opener for me. I'm even working on cutting the sweetener down in it, too.