Nausea

Options
I don't know if I have a bug, something I ate or something I drank. I feel so super sick. Nauseous, dizzy. I'm trying my best to drink some MIO electrolyte but every sip just adds to it. I went and bought a bag of ginger chews then went to open it and noticed the carbs!!
Do I risk chewing on one for the chance of nausea to go away for a possible flare up with the consumed carbs?!?
This sucks!

Replies

• ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    10g likely won't hurt you. I'd go for it if it'll make you feel better.

You might also try a strong cup of peppermint tea first. That often helps me.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well, this could be terrible advice, but it is something I have done... and assuming you are a mature adult who can make her own responsible decisions :) , I have been known to swallow about a spoonful of Listerine to see if germs were causing my upset stomach. The one time I tried this, it did give me relief and I didn't have to continue with any more craziness. I feel for you... I hope you feel better soon!
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Lasted about two hours :(
    Then it finally passed. I decided against the chews, rather be nauseous than in pain for days.
    I did drink a bunch of the MIO and topped it off with my GGMS.
    I do believe it was electrolytes since it passed but there are a bunch of sick kids at work.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Mio doesn't contain hardly any electrolytes at all. Nowhere near what low carbers need. You can always add a bit of salt to it though. Not so much it actually tastes salty...
    The Keto-aid recipe (that I don't know because I just drink pickle juice or bone broth) would serve you much better next time.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Mio doesn't contain hardly any electrolytes at all. Nowhere near what low carbers need. You can always add a bit of salt to it though. Not so much it actually tastes salty...
    The Keto-aid recipe (that I don't know because I just drink pickle juice or bone broth) would serve you much better next time.

I've been adding salt to all my drinks. Apparently not enough though!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Accepting the amounts of sodium needed to keep feeling well with this woe can be just as hard as accepting the fat! It goes against everything the medical community has taught! 3000-5000mg of sodium is needed, everyday, to prevent the nasty symptoms that can occur with ketosis! The ketones excreted via the urine take sodium with them. So, the recommended amount is to replace what's being lost. There's a wonderful sticky that addresses this continued need up there ^^^, in the Launch Pad information!

You will consistently feel better when this need is consistently addressed! Best of luck to you!
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Prior to starting on the Keto path I never used salt. I should have realized I was off since the last week I've been craving it like crazy!! I'm slowly pushing my levels up and keep a bag of salted sunflower seeds on hand now since just sucking on those silly seeds help calm the craving.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I posted just recently regarding electrolyte imbalance...I thought I was getting enough with around five grand, but I was also low on potassium. I was waking up with a nauseating headache, and was just flabbergasted. I swore I was watching my electrolytes properly! Nope. Need around 7grand sodium, 4grand potassium and 8hundred mag to feel no pain, no fatigue,no nausea.

It was shocking, as I really did assume I was doing it right.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Baconslave's personal prescription:
    Ketoade: 12oz water, flavor (Mio or generic, lemon juice and stevia, or other), 1/4 tsp salt, close to 1/4tsp potassium salt (Lite Salt or Nu-Salt or similar). Mix. Chug. 2 a day or more.

Gatorade and Powerade are a joke. You'd have to drink like 6 of their 32oz to get what you would in 2 ketoades. (I exaggerate a smidgen. But those drinks offer a mere pittance of electrolytes.) This stuff will get the job done.

You could do the broth in the cooler months. I do that sometimes.
    Alternately, creamy butter broth is a fat bomb, but it is so delicious. Add a bouillon cube, plus the potassium salt to hot water, then add butter and cream. So delicious. But def a fat bomb. Add an egg or 2 while the water is boiling and stir and you have Electrolyte Egg Drop Soup.

I posted just recently regarding electrolyte imbalance...I thought I was getting enough with around five grand, but I was also low on potassium. I was waking up with a nauseating headache, and was just flabbergasted. I swore I was watching my electrolytes properly! Nope. Need around 7grand sodium, 4grand potassium and 8hundred mag to feel no pain, no fatigue,no nausea.

It was shocking, as I really did assume I was doing it right.

Some people just need more. I'm glad you figured it out.
    Just like every person has a personal mag threshold (different level of exercise, consumption of coffee and dark colored diet sodas, thyroid issues all leech mag. Magnesium binds with ATP, the energy currency of the body), so do some people have a greater need for potassium and sodium. That need may decrease over time, but low-carbers will ALWAYS need more electrolytes. It's a biological process thing.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Baconslave's personal prescription:
    Ketoade: 12oz water, flavor (Mio or generic, lemon juice and stevia, or other), 1/4 tsp salt, close to 1/4tsp potassium salt (Lite Salt or Nu-Salt or similar). Mix. Chug. 2 a day or more.

Gatorade and Powerade are a joke. You'd have to drink like 6 of their 32oz to get what you would in 2 ketoades. (I exaggerate a smidgen. But those drinks offer a mere pittance of electrolytes.) This stuff will get the job done.

You could do the broth in the cooler months. I do that sometimes.
    Alternately, creamy butter broth is a fat bomb, but it is so delicious. Add a bouillon cube, plus the potassium salt to hot water, then add butter and cream. So delicious. But def a fat bomb. Add an egg or 2 while the water is boiling and stir and you have Electrolyte Egg Drop Soup.

I like the butter broth too!

I need to try that egg drop soup!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Also, was gonna say that I listened to the LCHF Convention talk by Phinney just yesterday and toward the end he discusses the sodium needs. He says the minimum for someone in ketosis is 5000mg which we pretty much know, but we often say 3000-5000ng and I think many people tend to reach the lower end easily enough and figure it's in the range so it's good enough. But, usually it's not. And he stresses that it's needed every day and indefinitely as long as you're Keto. And even if not keto, the need may be less but it's still an every day need going forward.
    I'll see if I can grab the link.
    Okie dokie, here ya go

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/14594/1122-dr-stephen-phinney-2015-cape-town-south-africa-lchf-convention-lecture/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Even zip fizz would be better than Mio, electrolyte wise. http://www.zipfizz.com/Assets/ingredients/zf_GrapeSupplement.pdf

I've been known to make home made miso soup from time to time. Less potassium, plenty of sodium. I've used that when easing out of a fast, for example, and want more sodium.
  • kfat1
    kfat1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I still continue to struggle with NO appetite issues....maybe I need sodium as well ? I work 12.5 hour shifts and have no problem going all day without food....mostly cause I am nauseated.
  • baconslave
    Options
    kfat1 wrote: »
    I still continue to struggle with NO appetite issues....maybe I need sodium as well ? I work 12.5 hour shifts and have no problem going all day without food....mostly cause I am nauseated.

Doesn't hurt to try. :smile:
    EVERY low-carber needs more electrolytes. Try tracking your sodium and see where you fall. It might be lower than you think.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Also, was gonna say that I listened to the LCHF Convention talk by Phinney just yesterday and toward the end he discusses the sodium needs. He says the minimum for someone in ketosis is 5000mg which we pretty much know, but we often say 3000-5000ng and I think many people tend to reach the lower end easily enough and figure it's in the range so it's good enough. But, usually it's not. And he stresses that it's needed every day and indefinitely as long as you're Keto. And even if not keto, the need may be less but it's still an every day need going forward.
    I'll see if I can grab the link.
    Okie dokie, here ya go

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/14594/1122-dr-stephen-phinney-2015-cape-town-south-africa-lchf-convention-lecture/

Awesome. I don't believe I caught that episode. I've been getting behind. I used to listen to podcasts during walks, but anymore the kids and cats aggravate me so much the whole time, I can' t listen for 60 sec before I have to pause. I've temporarily given up.

But yeah, low-carbers need electrolytes EVERY DAY. Like I said, some people find they decrease the need for sodium supplementation the further adapted they are, but that doesn't mean they don't need it any more. Decreased doesn't mean stop.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yea, the 3000-5000 was a range I had read at some point. I think the summer months add to that need too. It's an adjustment for each of us, just as the carbs are individual so are the electrolytes. The key is to not be afraid of the amount of sodium it could take each day to maintain the energy balance our bodies strive for!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add, boiled water with chopped up ginger makes a great tummy relief remedy and is yummy. Right now, in fact, I'm having a ginger/turmeric tisane.