how to avoid the temptations of foul food with kiddos and a fitness plan

nickkreitzer
nickkreitzer Posts: 45 Member
I always seem to do really well during the week but then when the weekend comes and I get my kids, I completely fall off the wagon. Yes, I enjoy a cpl good beers (beer snob) but I will also cave and get fast food for my boys instead of cooking good food for them. This has just been a recent development. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated especially since I am a level 1 cook. I am working on developing that skill so any easy healthy good food recipes would really be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Replies

• nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Most "fast food" places have their own healthier versions too... Just have to make that choice or make room for it in your day but I know all the goodies when surrounded by it is hard to fight off.
  • nickkreitzer
    Great point. I know it's like anything, give it about two weeks of making those healthier choices and then it will be so much easier. It's laike starting at the gym, you feel guilty for missing a day after about two weeks of going all the time. It's the whole life changing process, its not just about being more active but the diet as well. Thanks for your input as it is very much appreciated.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Ugh working out is the habit I have to get back into..... I used to be so good at it.... LOL too much taking up my time these days..... damn Netflix. :p
  • nickkreitzer
    We have all been there nickylee. I can certainly appreciate that, but once you get that habit started again you will miraculously find time to workout even if it is only for a few minutes :) Good luck.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Hey Nick....Here's a tip I use myself all the time when eating out.....If there's something that you really want to order do it, but only eat 1/2. Then you feel like you aren't being deprived, but still keeping some kind of control over the situation. If you are eating fast food....1/2 it up and immediately either wrap it up and put it aside, or throw it away of you don't think you will take it home and eat at another time.

Same thing with eating at a restaurant. Ask the waiter for a to go box and put the 1/2 in right away and set it aside.....It really does work.....
  • revolutiontruth
    revolutiontruth Posts: 88 Member
    I try to do what @nickylee76 does. I order a small fry and a water instead of large fries and a soda and go for a lower calorie sandwich.
  • revolutiontruth
    revolutiontruth Posts: 88 Member
    nickylee76 wrote: »
    Ugh working out is the habit I have to get back into..... I used to be so good at it.... LOL too much taking up my time these days..... damn Netflix. :p

I've traded Netflix for Pokemon Go lol
  • xabachay
    xabachay Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2016
    Nick, do you like to grill? Theres nothin wrong with eatin meat, so long as its in moderation. And grilling when they come over - thats gonna be somethin they remember for life...all the fun they had with dad out in the backyard.

I picked up a cookbook yesterday specifically for what they call one-pot meals. Might be another good idea.

And....above all else... the habits you teach them now are what they will carry for life. Did you go to MickyD's, the pizza shop, whatever - with your Dad? I did. And now I'm 49 trying to break that life long habit. Do that cookin at home not just for you, but for them and their future health.
  • xabachay
    xabachay Posts: 12 Member
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Hey Nick....Here's a tip I use myself all the time when eating out.....If there's something that you really want to order do it, but only eat 1/2. Then you feel like you aren't being deprived, but still keeping some kind of control over the situation. If you are eating fast food....1/2 it up and immediately either wrap it up and put it aside, or throw it away of you don't think you will take it home and eat at another time.

Same thing with eating at a restaurant. Ask the waiter for a to go box and put the 1/2 in right away and set it aside.....It really does work.....

I did that yesterday with a Subway black forrest ham sammich. Got the footlong, but ate half there for lunch, the other half later for dinner.

Dammit... i just made myself hungry...