Numbness and tingling in fingers

Options
starbean
starbean Posts: 30 Member
Yesterday I experienced sudden numbness, followed by numbness and tingling, in all ten of my fingers. It lasted probably an hour or so total. It scared me a little, I must say.

Before it happened I had drank quite a bit of water with salt added to it. Not sure if that's relevant. But before I drank the water I think I was dehydrated. After a while it just went away (going for a walk either helped or it was just a coincidence). Did I flush out too much potassium?

I have been trying to watch my electrolytes, but have not been doing it perfectly. Basically, I couldn't afford to purchase supplements this past month and a half. But I have been taking magnesium oxide I had on hand (not preferred, I know) and adding more salt to my foods. Just yesterday I ordered a better magnesium as well as No Salt and some sodium pills.

Has anyone had this experience, or does anyone know which mineral in particular would be the most likely culprit? Or other thoughts?

In part because it concerned me, I ate rice last night, and I think I will up my carbs until the supplements come in.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For sudden symptoms, I really don't know, but if you continue to have numbness and tingling or develop nerve pain, get to your doc immediately for more testing - because nerve damage is often permanent and only treatable about right when it happens.

That being said, I do get a little weird if i have tons of salt or a complete lack of it... Salt is crucial for life, so I'd probably chalk it up to this unless it repeats. The oxide itself isn't bad unless you don't do well with it. Some folks do just fine. I just wasn't one of them. If you can get something else, it is recommended, but if you've no other choice, I'd do the oxide - it's better than nothing!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My hands and feet constantly get numb and tingly. I was told it can be caused by poor circulation (duh), low adrenal function and sometimes low blood pressure, along with a bunch of more serious things. An hour is kind of a long time to stay numb though, you might want to mention it to your doctor, just in case it is a nerve thing.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    B12 deficiency can cause tingling and numbness as well!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    B1 is actually used as treatment for nerve damage due to B12 decificiency, in conjunction with B12... Why, I don't know. Dr. Berg is the one I learned this from.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When I have issues like that it's a B 12 deficiency from my gastric bypass surgery. If it happens I'm on B12 injections for about six months on top of my oral vitamins. Then I'm good to go. Its only happened twice since 2003 to me
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My legs and hands have gotten numb and tingly a few times but I'm attributing it to my lowered blood pressure. My BP was usually 116/70ish and the other day I went to urgent care for something unrelated and it was 104/62. So I read keto can lower your blood pressure so I think this is what is happening to me
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh so I wanted to say that it helps if I put in a little more sodium in my diet and when I'm a little more active.