The Prospect of Turning 50

Options
Shana67
Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
Hello Fabulous 40s!

One motivator for me to lose weight this time (I've done this before LOL) is the fact that I am turning FIFTY in 2017 (oh dear god, please save me). I have heard that it becomes so much harder to lose weight in your 50s. Knowing this, I determined that I WILL NOT start my 50s as an overweight person! I am now 19 lbs from my goal.

How 'bout you? What motivated you?

Replies

• Megarachnid
    Megarachnid Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and I've born a large number of children. I don't want that to be an excuse to be out of shape. I want to have energy as I raise them into my old age. I also want to look good in my clothes and feel comfortable in my own skin. Also, I'm married to an awesome guy and I don't want to let myself go for his sake (although he never fusses about my appearance.) I'm worried about menopause and my 50s and how hard I've heard it is to stay in shape--so you make a good point--we get in shape now and it's not so hard later to maintain it, hopefully :smile:
  • Megarachnid
    Options
    Oh and I'm almost 50 lbs down and about 6 lbs from my goal weight and then I want to try and gain some more muscle.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Only 6 pounds away from your goal??? That's incredible! Good, awesome work :) I've just had 3 kids, but they do a number on your body, don't they? I think we're going to rock it in our 50s <3
  • Megarachnid
    Options
    It's taken me two years and yes, kids do do a number on your body. There are things that no amount of diet and exercise will fix, but, hey, it's worth it. We will rock our fifties indeed :smile:
  • Megarachnid
    Options
    You look great, by the way. If you have 19 lbs to lose, I can't tell from your profile picture at all.
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i turned 45 in June, My inspiration is my 2 sons, (20 & 6) and my health. Most of my family are type 2 diabetic, and i don't want to join them..
    One of my aunty's got infections in her feet. Over the years, she had all her toes amputated.. and sadly contracted sepsis while recovering from last op, on 23rd Dec 2015.. I’ve been on here since 1st January 2016 And so far lost 31lb, in my Aunty's memory.. Got another 24lb to my target weight.. Will get there & keep it off too.. :wink:
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I finally lost a bunch of wait to get on the transplant list for a kidney. I'd like to lose 30 more lbs but have been plateauing forever it seems, but I'll keep trying at it. I'm 46 now and I'd like to lose it sooner rather than later but if I could lose it by 50 that would be awesome!
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I said at 30 I'd lose, again at 40 and now 50 is less than 5 months away. Times getting shorter to get healthier but there is still time. I'm -13 with 27 lbs to go. The thought of turning 50 freaked me out a bit as it's starting to force me to think about retirement etc and every year seems to go by quicker and quicker! Statistically I've lived more of my life than I have left to go (although my grandmother lived to be over 100 so who knows :D ). There are still so many things I want to do in life and it's up to me to make sure I'm around and healthy enough to do those things.
  • cm3540
    cm3540 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'll be fifty in 2017 too!! Already have a trip booked to Maui (20 days after my birthday:)). I plan on losing my extra weight and working out to get and feel heathier. I just started back using MFP and am focused on building a healthier lifestyle -- looking for MFP friends for support and accountability!
  • fitness4fun47
    fitness4fun47 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm with all of you too! My motivation is getting into fantastic shape by that time. Would be great if we could all support and motivate each other :)
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cm3540 wrote: »
    I'll be fifty in 2017 too!! Already have a trip booked to Maui (20 days after my birthday:)). I plan on losing my extra weight and working out to get and feel heathier. I just started back using MFP and am focused on building a healthier lifestyle -- looking for MFP friends for support and accountability!

Sweet!!!
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I turn 48 this November and an injury and health issues creeping up on me have screamed "girl u best get that booty in shape". I have spent my 40's over 200 I want to hit 50 being down 50.
  • colleenzlife
    colleenzlife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I will be turning 50 in 2017 as well! I want to reach that age being the healthiest I've been in 20 years. Good luck to you in reaching your goals, we can get there one day at a time
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Whoa girls none of you look closer to 50! Good job *applause* I will be 50 in 2017 too, :/ And, also looking for a healthy 5-0 decade lol and to be a helthy senior. Have you seen a lot of overweight seniors? Not many. Will take me perhaps up to 2017 to reach my goal. It's okay if I don't get there I am losing slowly but I have come a long way since January.
  • FLBuckeye34
    FLBuckeye34 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been out of shape for 10yrs and the thought of being 50 and fat just slapped me in the face! I need to be healthy in my lifestyle so its time, I dont have a real goal weight its more of a body fat thing for me! I will say all the ladies look great!!!! I heard it said 50 is the NEW 30!
  • greena
    greena Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love it -- 50 is fabulous!!! I'm in California, and so inspired by my 50+ retired friends here (I'm 45-no retirement yet for me :-). They are hiking mountains, at my Crossfit gym, biking, running, backcountry skiing, etc. I knew there was no way I was going to settle for being non-athletic and mediocre. I started working out again 5 months ago, I'm 8 pounds down and about 15-20 to go!!