What do you do?

Options
_tierachanel
_tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
What do you do to help curve cravings? I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago and I just started Keto back up yesterday. So far so good but my craving for carbs is at a all time high. Like to the point its starting to consume my thoughts. What do you do to get your mind off wanting to completely say eff it and binge out on tacobell? :D

Replies

• coopscoopc
    coopscoopc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Vlasic Kosher Dill pickles.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Increase fats, as @auntstephie321 suggested and don't worry too much about calories right now.

To get rid of the mental component, try distracting yourself with a hobby or something that keeps you busy so you don't think about it.
  • _tierachanel
    Options
    Increase fats, as @auntstephie321 suggested and don't worry too much about calories right now.

To get rid of the mental component, try distracting yourself with a hobby or something that keeps you busy so you don't think about it.

Great thank you. I told myself I'm going to start going to the gym so maybe that will help get my mind off things.
  • _tierachanel
    Options
    coopscoopc wrote: »

Does the salt help with cravings or does eating pickles just work for you?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Bacon and fat

I have bacon at home. I think I'll have bacon and eggs for dinner because I'm really struggling here. lol

I swear by bacon in the beginning, the sodium and fat combo fills me and helps replenish the sodium I lose
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Ditto all of the above. Just stuff the craving hole with butter. It passes.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    TONS of fat does the trick... I don't worry about calories for a few days and just eat loads of fat and a good amount of protein.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    All of this helps while adapting, but if you have any compulsive or binge tendencies, you might look into some supplements that can help. That is what I finally had to do to stop destroying myself on every single weekend.
  • _tierachanel
    Options
    Yea, I'm trying SOOOOO hard. I have a desk job and sometimes it gets slow so I have WAY too much time to think about how much I want the foods I cant have. Pepperoni saved me last night but I feel like today is much much worse. Like, I literally was sitting here thinking about nachos to the point where my mouth started watering. I got to get it together here. lol

Side note: I discovered my cravings are unbearable when I'm hungry. I didn't eat breakfast this morning. I just ate lunch and my cravings for the bad stuff have diminished dramatically.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yes, hunger always makes me a bit mental. And you can have nachos. Just use different chips. Skip or go light on the beans. Use real cheese instead of nacho blend. Taco bell is "okay" ala carte" if you still to the low carb stuff, like meat, shredded cheese, sour cream, guac, etc. There are tons of chip options - microwave cheese crisps, microwave pepperoni chips, pork rinds, kale chips, etc. It's all based on preference.

I always say "google the word keto in front of any recipe" to see what others have done, even if you aren't eating at keto levels. It's a more common search term. Also, hit up all the brains here. Tell folks what you're craving, and they'll make comparable suggestions or compromises that hit the same notes...

Good luck!
  • _tierachanel
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    All of this helps while adapting, but if you have any compulsive or binge tendencies, you might look into some supplements that can help. That is what I finally had to do to stop destroying myself on every single weekend.

What supplements helped you? I'm kind of embarrassed to say but I do have an issue with binge eating sometimes. I've started to realize how much of a problem I have when I fall off the wagon. It gets so bad sometimes to the point where I can eat to the point I get sick. I don't do it all the time but when I do its bad.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @_tierachanel - there is absolutely NOTHING to be embarrassed about here. We all ended up here for some reason or another - and many of us fall into this category. I'm going to attach three links about articles that included information about nutrient deficiencies that really make us more vulnerable to those binges/compulsions than so-called "normal" folks - and this just finally clicked for me... I still mentally crave sweets and junk I don't need, but most times the compulsion and binge tendency is reduced or gone - and sometimes I can even manage only a single portion of something. The first article has a formula they sell, I did kind of a variation on that and some other info, got individual supps, and played with it. I'm currently about 4-6 weeks in, and I tend to sound like a broken record about this when I find something that helps me, because I'll totally shout it from the rooftops!!! LOL

http://carbsyndrome.com/is-your-brain-two-quarts-low/

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-beat-sugar-cravings-glutamine/

https://www.afpafitness.com/research-articles/alcoholism-need-vitamins-become-well-2

I hope something in one of these articles might help you find something to help you, too.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try and eat a big breakfast with lots of fat if you can. I don't often need it when I'm Keto adapted but in the early weeks when hunger creeps in if you really satiate yourself in the morning you'll be much less likely to want to eat the world later. Bacon and eggs is a good brekkie or ham and cheese and boiled eggs if you need to be quick. Pork scratchings are a good rich fatty snack too if you like them.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Focus, too, on getting good sleep. I always find it TONS easier to stay on plan when I'm well rested, hydrated, and caffeinated (or alert fully). :)
  • _tierachanel
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, bacon, avocado. Celery sticks. Fills me up with low carbs and calories that are crunchy and tasty. I usually make a nice salad for work or salad wraps. I always have celery sticks and hard boiled eggs in the fridge these days, packets of pork scratchings and nuts/seeds.

I also plan ahead, and got food in the fridge ready to be cooked. If I am desperate for ice cream I mix avocado with cocoa powder, put it in the freezer for 20-30mins and voila one portion of chocolate "ice cream"
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

My daughter eat pickles too - the salt helps her.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

My daughter eat pickles too - the salt helps her.

Pickles also tend to have more minerals in them that shows up on the label, hence why some folks feel better on them than with just salt or broth...