Silly little victory

Options
mickigoad
mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
For some reason, properly cooked hard-boiled eggs elude me. All. The. Time.

Today I won the battle! I just had 2 of the most perfectly boiled eggs I've had in a LONG time. A sprinkle of pink salt and cracked black pepper and I was in heaven. :)

Yay me!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I understand. For the longest time, I was too impatient and would under-cook them. The yolk would be so moist, in a bad way.

Great NSV!
  • LisaAnn642015
    LisaAnn642015 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! For me it seems no matter how much I cook them peeling them causes me to lose most of the egg white ugh! So to have one come out mostly intact is a victory for me lol! And I salt those suckers a lot in boiling water just don't get it even have gone to the point of letting eggs cool in cold water and shoving them in the fridge then trying to peel them later lol! Sometimes it works sometimes no lol! Oh well I can dream and at least I'm getting some protein in lol!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I find they peel much more easily if I put them straight from boiling into cold water for a few minutes and then peel straight out of the cold water. If I put them in the fridge, they become more difficult to peel because the membrane on the inside of the shell will shrink and stick to the whites.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I eat hard boiled eggs almost daily.

My trick is to bring the water to a boil and then put the eggs in. I let them boil for 11-12 minutes (I prefer my yolks to be fully done). And then I take it off the burner after the time is off, drain the hot water and then pour cold sink water in. I let it sit for minimum five minutes and then put them in the fridge.

When it is time to eat them, I don't lose any whites.

Also, fresher eggs are harder to peel.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My trick for hard boiled eggs (which I have almost every morning for breakfast so I keep them in frig always) is put in water, bring to boil and time from that point 10 minutes. When timer goes off, immediately bathe in cold running water then cover with ice in pan. Leave in sink until ice melts, dry them off and put in container in frig. Mine are perfectly cooked and shell is removed easily. :)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I eat hard boiled eggs almost daily.

My trick is to bring the water to a boil and then put the eggs in. I let them boil for 11-12 minutes (I prefer my yolks to be fully done). And then I take it off the burner after the time is off, drain the hot water and then pour cold sink water in. I let it sit for minimum five minutes and then put them in the fridge.

When it is time to eat them, I don't lose any whites.

Also, fresher eggs are harder to peel.

This is me too...cept I let the water come to a boil with the eggs already in the water. I still let them boil for at least 10 minutes....a runny/soft yolk in any form anywhere is just awful to me.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Funny how everyone cooks them different. I put in cold water bring to boil turn off remove from heat cover for ten minutes then put I could water and peel. Older eggs will peel much easier than farm fresh. Organic cage free are near impossible lol
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Someone on here bought an electric egg cooker never heard if it was any good though
  • froyseef
    froyseef Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat one dozen organic free range eggs every week. Put in pan of cold water. Bring to boil. Stir frequently. Cook two minutes. Cover. Turn off heat. Let sit 30 minutes. Peel under cold water. Refrigerate.
    Every day, I cut one or two in half lengthwise. Put yellows in a small bowl. Add 1Tablespoon real mayonnaise per egg yolk and mix, adding celery, dill, onion powder and a touch of yellow mustard, salt and pepper. Reshuffle where's. Sprinkle with paprika.
    Ketogenic
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of tips/tricks that help: fill a pot with cold water. Place the eggs in the water. Add a healthy dollop of vinegar (the kind of vinegar doesn't matter). Place the pot over heat until water boils. Take pot off heat but let the eggs sit in the hot water for 15 minutes before running under cold water. To peel: place 1 egg in a small tumbler-type glass with a little bit of water. Place one hand over the top of the glass so that your hand covers the open top of the glass. Shake egg/water back and forth (side-to-side) vigorously (you're going to want to do this over the sink). The glass cracks/breaks the eggshell in such a way that the shell comes off in a nearly miraculous, easy way...sometimes as a nearly complete single shell. Please refer to the YouTube video link above if you don't believe me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This reminds me of the day I managed to poach an egg right. :smile:
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to be so useless at peeling eggs, then my friend showed me a little trick. Once the eggs are cooked and cooled enough to handle, just lightly crack the shells a couple of times and drop back into the water. The water seems to get under the fine skin just under the shell. By the time you have cracked all of them you can start at the first one, should be easy to peel. Keep dipping in the water to help the shell off.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @glossbones was the one who bought the electric egg cooker, and from what I remember, she loved it!
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was terrible at hard boiled eggs on the stove. I got an instant pot and I am now making the best hard boiled eggs ever!!!
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @Carom's tip of cracking the shell of the hard cooked egg then letting the egg sit for a bit in cold water, but I would add that I then crack the shell all over and slip off the shell by running a teaspoon under it. Quick and easy!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My son..literally...pokes a little hole and blows it and the egg comes out..idk...I am going to have to ask him. He is 11..lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    mickigoad wrote: »
    For some reason, properly cooked hard-boiled eggs elude me. All. The. Time.

Today I won the battle! I just had 2 of the most perfectly boiled eggs I've had in a LONG time. A sprinkle of pink salt and cracked black pepper and I was in heaven. :)

Yay me!

@mickigoad - Something I heard in a recent podcast really stuck with me... This isn't a silly little victory. We tend to minimize our own celebrations and successes to protect ourselves from the way others react, and in doing so, we minimize our own opinions, we invalidate ourselves, and for many of us, this is a gut reaction. I'm really working for myself on not making self-minimizing statements and learning to celebrate the importance of my own opinions on my success. I don't say this with any malice or anything. It just hurts me a little bit every single time I see the title of this post because it is NOT silly. It is not little. This was a huge deal to you. I want to celebrate it!!!!

(hugs) Please don't take offense to my wording, sometimes I'm a little direct and forget how my words come across. Mainly, celebrate you and don't apologize for your opinions! They are important BECAUSE they are yours.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    @GlitterRayne I make mine in the instant pot too and they peel so easy now! :)
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the OP - that is one of those unheralded victories we can all relate to.

I've had the most success steaming mine for 12 minutes then dousing with cold water.

I love The Food Lab - and here's what he had to say about hard boiled eggs: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

This is a serious subject!