Silly little victory

Options
2»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yep we have all experimented to get the perfect boiled egg. I tend to favor all things from America's Test Kitchen.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/168-easy-peel-hard-cooked-eggs
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    My hard boiled eggs I have no issues with, poached eggs however.... Completely different story. I cannot even make perfect poached eggs in the poaching bags. Sad but true.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    My hard boiled eggs I have no issues with, poached eggs however.... Completely different story. I cannot even make perfect poached eggs in the poaching bags. Sad but true.

We bought one of those little 4-cup egg steamer-poachers at the hardware store, and that's been a success for us, after years of failure.

• mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    @GlitterRayne I make mine in the instant pot too and they peel so easy now! :)

Just became the proud owner of an Instant Pot. Tell me more about how long/process, etc. Thanks!
  • mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    mickigoad wrote: »
    For some reason, properly cooked hard-boiled eggs elude me. All. The. Time.

Today I won the battle! I just had 2 of the most perfectly boiled eggs I've had in a LONG time. A sprinkle of pink salt and cracked black pepper and I was in heaven. :)

Yay me!

@mickigoad - Something I heard in a recent podcast really stuck with me... This isn't a silly little victory. We tend to minimize our own celebrations and successes to protect ourselves from the way others react, and in doing so, we minimize our own opinions, we invalidate ourselves, and for many of us, this is a gut reaction. I'm really working for myself on not making self-minimizing statements and learning to celebrate the importance of my own opinions on my success. I don't say this with any malice or anything. It just hurts me a little bit every single time I see the title of this post because it is NOT silly. It is not little. This was a huge deal to you. I want to celebrate it!!!!

(hugs) Please don't take offense to my wording, sometimes I'm a little direct and forget how my words come across. Mainly, celebrate you and don't apologize for your opinions! They are important BECAUSE they are yours.

Thanks @KnitOrMiss - I am guilty of minimizing, for sure! No offense taken... and I am still celebrating my success with easy to peel, nearly perfect boiled eggs today! :)
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Silly is good! Celebrate the silly! We all need the joy that silliness brings!
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I start with cold water with a little baking soda in it, bring them to a boil, cover and take them off the heat, let sit for 8 minutes and then shock them in cold water. I don't like my yolks super hard in the middle. No matter what kind of egg I use, they always peel perfect. The baking soda adds alkalinity to the water which makes them easier to peel. When I am peeling a dozen eggs a week, every little trick helps!
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Have you tried putting a little vinegar in the water? It makes the white bind faster. I bring water to a boil, add a splash of vinegar, turn down the heat to a simmer, swirl the water with the handle of the spoon and slide the eggs in from a little bowl. Then I cook them for 3-4 minutes.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options

Have you tried putting a little vinegar in the water? It makes the white bind faster. I bring water to a boil, add a splash of vinegar, turn down the heat to a simmer, swirl the water with the handle of the spoon and slide the eggs in from a little bowl. Then I cook them for 3-4 minutes.

Yes, I end up with a mess that may or may not taste of vinegar, not a pretty sight. My poached eggs in the poaching bags stuck to the insides and got hard boiled...
  • Standsfast
    Standsfast Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Huh! Gotta say me too. I only just this past week have learned some of the above methods for making hard boiled eggs peel easier. And it's not like I just found my kitchen...
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I ruin poached eggs every time. I've read that you can do it in a microwave, but I have yet to attempt it:
    http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/inside-our-kitchen/article/for-perfectly-poached-eggs-the-microwave-is-your-friend
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    ^^ LOL, right. I'm 62 and have been boiling eggs for probably a half century.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have never attempted poached eggs without the poached egg pan :) sounds like a PITA!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    After joining this group last year someone gave the hint for perfect to peel eggs: to bring the water to a boil before putting the eggs in the water (I put my eggs in a bowl of warm water while bring the water to a boil). Then boil for five minutes, turn off heat and cover for five more minutes. Run under cold water. They peel so easy, even after sitting in the fridge for days! Some eggs may pop when adding to the boiling water which is why I let them sit in the warm water before putting them into the boiling water. I hope this makes sense!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Karl - I slowly lower each egg down into the pot with a spoon because I'm afraid any bump will crack the egg. Maybe the warm water thing was my problem the whole time, lol. In any case I prefer them scrambled!