Tips for sneaking more exercise into your day

Options
RosslandMTBr
RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
So I have been taking part in a couple of step challenges with my friend using my Fitbit. That has meant that I have really had to up my game as far as walking is concerned. I am just wondering if any of you have any tips on ways to sneak more steps into the day. Or even ways you can sneak in a little bit of exercise when you might not have time for a full workout.

I'll roll things off with my own tip. Today I went shopping with my kids. Instead of driving between stores, I left my car parked and walked a couple blocks to the next store. After discovering how easy that was I then I walked a couple extra blocks to the library and then to a local playground so my two year old could run off a bit of steam. By the time I was done all my walking I had walked an extra 4000 steps.

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I always park at the back of the lot and walk to stores, even in bad weather. Sometimes if I'm really feeling the need to relax with tv, I sometimes just work in some pilates and stretching. That really helps.
  • Skyygraphx
    Skyygraphx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hunt pokemon! I know it sounds super silly to those that don't play the game but it really does get me up and moving more each day. After I put my kiddo to bed I take a short walk around the block right by my house. I always manage to get at least an extra 1000 steps by the time I hit the 3 pokestops near me. It's a fun way to unwind from the day too.
  • RosslandMTBr
    Options
    Skyygraphx wrote: »
    I hunt pokemon! I know it sounds super silly to those that don't play the game but it really does get me up and moving more each day. After I put my kiddo to bed I take a short walk around the block right by my house. I always manage to get at least an extra 1000 steps by the time I hit the 3 pokestops near me. It's a fun way to unwind from the day too.

Hahaha...that's awesome! I have been seeing people hunt Pokemon all around my neighbourhood. Maybe I'll have to try it.

• jenniebean310
    jenniebean310 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I dance essentially when doing chores like dishes & laundry sometimes just to keep moving.
  • marlies74
    marlies74 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this topic. I tend to walk the stairs a few times more than strictly neccesary. And I park in the back spots, too.

I have been meaning to put some music on and dance in the living room whenever I get the chance. I did not get around to it, but now that I've figured out our family Spotify plan I really have to give it a try! Thanks for reminding me!
  • RosslandMTBr
    Options
    I dance essentially when doing chores like dishes & laundry sometimes just to keep moving.

I do this too! Especially when I am doing laundry.

• sNachers
    sNachers Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have two offices at my work. One on each end of two buildings connected by a skywalk. My main office is far from the mail room, my other office, coffee shops, everything. So instead of driving like most workers here do, I walk, and I try to do it as fast as I can without looking like creep power walking towards strangers! :D
  • kimpacheco22
    kimpacheco22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @sNachers ha ha ha! too funny.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Since I'm up and down stairs at work every hour, I need to hit those stairs with a little more vigor!