Big time NSV

Options
neohdiver
neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
I've been mostly absent since May-ish.

Some of you have seen bits and pieces of this story. On the way to vanquishing diabetes (my October surprise) via a low carb diet I was diagnosed with breast cancer (65 lbs of the way to my 67 lb goal, and 6 weeks into an 8 week very low calorie diet designed to put diabetes into remission). I was told to put the rest of the weight loss on hold during treatment (so I've been bouncing up and down within a 5 lb range since May).

Surgery and, as of 4 hours ago radiation, are now in the rear view mirror, and shortly I will at least return to marching toward the rest of my weight loss goal. I haven't decided about reprising the 8 week very low calorie diet that has put 100% of a very small population with recent diabetes diagnoses into remission.

But losing weight (prompted by the diabetes diagnosis) gave me many more treatment options, allowed me to heal much more quickly, and likely allowed me to find the lump in the first place. So - serendipitous. (The diabetes, itself, is well controlled almost exclusively by diet - after a blip of a few weeks when my body was mad about surgery.)

The radiation creates a very small risk of a very aggressive cancer - which doesn't sit well with me. But it is what it is. I've taken steps to minimize the physical damage as best I can. In addition, I adopted a meditative drawing practice to walk through the radiation day by day (for the past 17 business days), and turn a process that is inherently harmful into one that is more positive.

So - here's the drawing that marks the end-of-active-cancer-treatment big NSV.

g2azt140fowt.jpg

If you look closely, you should find 6 purple + signs (one embedded in part of a purple frame). Those are the radiation targets & alignment marks. At the bottom is a crane, given to me by the radiation oncologist. I completed one section a day, finishing with the scrollwork within the radiation frame this morning.

I can't promise I'll be back as regularly as before - big changes at work that mean the relatively light fall I anticipated is not going to happen. But I'll try to drop in periodically.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @neohdiver on a) getting through the cancer treatment as I know that can seem as bad as the cancer itself at times, b) the weightloss and c) the success with the diabetes which I have learned many of us in this group have and are addressing through one version of LC WOE or another.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely beautiful in so many ways.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Congrats on kicking cancer AND diabetes in the ... nuts? Keep fighting the good fight, and we'll see you when you've time and resources to check in!

P.S. That type of drawing is one of the types I LOVELOVELOVE to color myself. :) So geeking out over here, totally!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and the art work and best of continued success.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Beautiful and thought provoking. Thank you for sharing your journey.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV. Congrats on a huge victory and thank you for sharing your story. Very powerful and evocative art, thank you for that too.

::flowerforyou::
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Beautiful in so many ways. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on such a wonderful NSV
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I love the drawing!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how you were doing. I'm so glad that things are looking good and you are in a good place. :)

The NSV drawing was lovely. Congratulations. :)
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Nice artwork. Inspiring and beautiful. Thank you. B)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Pleased to meet you, fellow neoh pal. Forward March! :)<3
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love your drawing and congrats on a HUGE nsv!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you for letting us know how things have been going for you! Your success is super inspiring, and the art work does look like its very calming! Look forward to hearing about your continued success in kicking cancers butt!!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Look forward to 2017 as your "fabulous" year.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I am post breast cancer as well, 2+ years now. I was also told to stop any weight loss efforts during chemo and gained 25 lbs due to the steroids. I kept going to the gym because I could and had the energy. Can you imagine how much more I would have gained? I tried everything I knew last year with no results and actually further gain.....Until I found this group and all of the knowledge here. I'm down 17 lbs with 10-12 to go to reach my pre-chemo weight.

Congrats Neohdiver and continued good health!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting through the cancer treatments. It's such a long haul, and so hard on the body and soul.