For the Foodies - A new twist on the old meatballs in tomato sauce

Options
Abm4n
Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
Today I tried cooking with lamb mince instead of beef mince. It was awesome! I may never go back. Slightly more expensive than beef mince but I ate 50% less and felt 50% more full. Maybe it was something to do with the lamb fat released in the frying pan which I mixed with my homemade ayvar.

That is a Serbian sauce made from roasted red peppers or bell peppers. That was the most awesome thing and so much more complex and satisfying that old fashioned tomato sauces. Ayvar is also spectacular as an accompaniment with vegetable pasta made from spiralized sweet potato or butternut pumpkin. You can cook a veggie pasta meal in 10 minutes once you have made the veggie pasta.

Keep a jar of roasted red pepper sauce handy to add to hamburgers or fried fillet steak. These simple new twists on old favourites will ignite your taste buds all over again.

Replies

• NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Substituting lamb for beef is a great idea - it's on m shopping list, now :-)
    Your Serbian Ayva sauce sounds so yummy
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    LOVE lamb!!! Just too expensive for my budget. I buy it when on sale, but that don't happen often as I live in a small town with only 3 grocery stores. Only Kroger has a TEENY TINY bit of lamb offered. Actually even the selection of beef and pork is very limited.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yum. That sounds good. Found a recipe. I'm not fond of eggplant but this may be the 1 recipe that convinces me otherwise with all the red peppers and garlic!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued....
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Yum. That sounds good. Found a recipe. I'm not fond of eggplant but this may be the 1 recipe that convinces me otherwise with all the red peppers and garlic!

I cooked the sauce without eggplant. I was given all these free red bell peppers from this food bank and didn't know what to do with them so I made this pasta sauce from roasted peppers with a couple of tomatoes and onions. This time I had some leftover zucchini and some Parmesan cheese!

It is so filling I can't believe how satisfying lamb mince is. I just finished off the rest of the lamb mince right now. Collapsed on my back from exhaustion!

my7bedhidkin.jpeg

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Your version sounds tastier to me. Consistency looks good too. Thanks!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love lamb meatballs :smile: I use them to make an asian style soup and simmer them in the broth without searing first, it gives them a nice silky texture.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've had both good and bad experiences with lamb.... some of the gamiest meat I have ever tasted, in a stew.... and the best tiny lamb chops from a local farm grilled with a garlic clove tucked into each - very mild and tender and flavourful.
    Now I am just afraid and won't touch lamb again as it gagged me the first time and made my mouth taste awful for the whole evening no matter what I did. I know I am probably missing out but hate playing Russian Roulette. Hubby is no fan of lamb either for the same reason, so at least that makes it easy. :/
    The sauce looks awesome though. I like to make a sauce out of home canned oil packed red peppers that is kind of similar.