Another odd TMI question...

Options
Beware and be warned this question is all about poop and it's passing/contents....

Okay so I've noticed my super awesome mood is on the lacking side lately but twice now I've noticed something disturbingly familiar in the toilet when I'm not suffering a back up.
My happy pill!! Wait, seriously I take a daily dose of Effexor xr. The first time I noticed something that looked like white corn in the toilet even though I hadn't eaten corn in weeks. Curiosity got the best of me and it was what I though at the time the shell of my Effexor. Odd.
Well it happened again. This time I was more conscious of the fact that I'm not so level so I donned some gloves for a gross yet necessary inspection.
It's no shell! It's the whole damned pill!
Paging Dr. Google! This apparently is not common but it also not unheard of!
So now I'm trying to figure out if this is due to a defect in the pill or if it's due to this WOE! Ugh!
I'm going to call my Drs office today and pose the question to the poor nurse on call today. But I'm just curious on if anyone following this WOE has had similar issues!? I've seen several posts lately about low stomach acid etc. so I'll look through those for suggestions.
Why does all the weird thing happen to me? :confused:

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a prize in the piñata!

All sorts of meds are known to leave those odd ghost pill souvenirs (generic metformin is notorious), but the whole pill maybe not so much.

Have you looked at the prescribing info for physicians? (Try drugs.com)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well, look on the bright side (though extra difficult without said happy pill perhaps) there's no backup in the system!
    Sorry I don't have any actual useful info...
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Nothing really to add about the situation you're in, but just a comment on Effexor xr...if there's anything else your doctor can give you, in my experience I would jump at it. I was on Effexor xr for awhile after my son was stillborn, and it messed me up good.

I couldn't sleep, so I had to have sleeping pills as well, I gained a bunch of weight, and it made me feel like I couldn't FEEL anything, if that makes any sense. I felt like I was living life in neutral, not feeling the "down" as much but also not able to feel the "up". I totally did not feel like myself at all and I had to shake it off, I couldn't stand living like that. Even tapering off slowly on it, I went through weeks of horrible vertigo, nausea, and headaches while in withdrawal from it.

You might be different. I guess it must work for some people! But no matter where I'm at in my life I will never, ever take Effexor xr again...it totally wasn't worth it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    sounds like you might possibly have low stomach acid thus not breaking down the pill before passing through the system maybe try adding a tablespoon of acv to your water when you take the pill or look into adding digestive enzymes

@zenwenner I'm so very sorry for your loss <3
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it. It was 13 years ago now, and I've had another son since, his name is Logan and he's now 12 years old. He helped a lot with healing from that!

I do still have the card the nurses at the hospital made for me though. It has an ink print of his tiny hands and feet, and it is my little memento of the brief time I had with Zachary.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    @auntstephie321 Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it. It was 13 years ago now, and I've had another son since, his name is Logan and he's now 12 years old. He helped a lot with healing from that!

I do still have the card the nurses at the hospital made for me though. It has an ink print of his tiny hands and feet, and it is my little memento of the brief time I had with Zachary.

heartbreaking, hug that little one extra tight :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    @Zenwenner I am so glad your Logan has helped you through it, absolutely heartbreaking. Big Hugs to you.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Have you had diarrhea or have you been eating anything that you have a food intolerance to? If the answer is no, then it's probably just the medication.

If Effexor XR has been working for you, ask the doctor for regular Effexor instead of the xr version. The dosing would be different but you won't have to worry about digestion or adjusting to a different medication..

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Zenwenner wrote: »

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you <3.. . I dont have much words but just want to give <<hugs>> to you. Btw my son's name is Zachary too. Its a beautiful name.
  • MelissaHaseley
    MelissaHaseley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When it comes to medication, I've learned the hard way that whatever works with your body's chemistry, you stick with it. If it messes you up, it's not right for you. I am sorry, Zenwenner, that you had such a horrible experience during such a sad and fragile moment. It's unfortunate that they prescribed a medication that wasn't the least bit right for you. No one should have to go through that much suffering.

I have been on Effexor XR for over 10 years, I have bipolar disorder. I'm one of the people that is completely functional with practically no symptoms on medications. I'm glad you're sharing this information, because it could help someone with these issues who wouldn't feel comfortable saying something. I would definitely try eating something that would increase your stomach acids when you take your pill. Something like a vinegrette dressing on a small salad or broccoli dipped in it and/or a lemon slice. Some use sauerkraut, bitters, or certain fermented veggies, but I find all that appalling.

Being off a medication like Effexor XR for more than a couple days means withdrawal, and that is no good for anyone. Talk to your doctor first and foremost, you don't want to switch medications if they work for you, because then you'll have to go through trial and error all over again on new ones until you find one that works for you; that's no fun, trust me! I hope I have helped somewhat. Good luck and good health to you.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am also taking Effexor XR and had absorption issues. Last week I had a binge on non gluten free food that then lead my body to purge it for me. I had very quick intestinal emptying for about 2 days. During that time I am sure my Effexor, along with all of my electrolytes, were not sticking around. I ended up with a killer headache along with anxiety and other symptoms that seem to have been a combination of withdrawal and low electrolytes. My skin was crawling and any touch felt uncomfortable. (That's really not fun when your hubby likes to rub your arm when you're cuddling and it hurts) I am going to be much more careful from now on.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This happened to my Metformin XR Pills. Orange Baby Carrots. Ugh. I was taking anti-acid pill called Omeprazole DR every day. I now take a bicarb (1/2 tea baking soda with tall glass of water) when GERD hits.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar is actually best for the need for a more acidic stomach, which is what is needed for most people. Sodium bicarbonate creates a less acidic environment, like the medications. I've used two tbsp of acv in 8-12 ounces of water to treat heartburn symptoms, and to discontinue imperative months ago now! Knocking on wood, but I have healed my stomach with this, and haven't even needed the acv for a while, when at first it was a daily thing!

Yes, OP! Sometimes medications, and supplements, can be "bed pan bullets" when the proper environment to digest them isn't available. Some people blame it on the supplements, or meds, when it's the unhealthy gut that can't break them down!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    This happened to my Metformin XR Pills. Orange Baby Carrots. Ugh.

Here's an interesting snippet from the Metformin XR info:
    Q16. How do I take metformin hydrochloride extended-release tablets?

Metformin hydrochloride extended-release tablets tablets should not be cut, crushed, or chewed and should be taken whole with a full glass of water once daily with the evening meal. Occasionally, the inactive ingredients of metformin hydrochloride extended-release tablets may be eliminated as a soft mass in your stool that may look like the original tablet; this is not harmful and will not effect the way metformin hydrochloride extended-release tablets works to control diabetes.
  • janicebiggirl
    janicebiggirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I take two meds that the shell passes through. Klorcon and procardia. Dr says normal.