Gallbladder removal - now what?

Options
cusax
cusax Posts: 5 Member
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to keto (4 weeks) and had my gallbladder taken out yesterday. From what I've been reading, it sounds like its most likely the switch to keto that triggered the gallstone inflammation, not the diet itself (I suspect my pregnancies, couple with a life-long attempt at a low fat diet created the stones). I've felt amazing on keto other than this and don't want to stop! Does anyone else have a similar story? Or advice on a diet going forward?

Replies

• gwen707
    gwen707 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out 18 yrs ago. So three kids 75lbs gained has taken a toll. I have tried very diet out there and nothing seemed budged the fat. I blamed the lack of gallbladder, who was I kidding I was an emotional eater. 6 weeks ago I saw the success of my son on the Keto diet and though why not.

In my case the bile that I get from the liver is somewhat diluted and as a result some foods will pass right thought me if they are too fatty. You can imagine my surprise when not only did I not have the bathroom issue but I was losing weight. I found that the foods I am eating on the Kketo diet don't give me cravings, seem to even out my moods and I have more energy than I have had in years.

I personally think it is the type of fats that I eat like avocado, coconut oil that my body seem to appreciate. I can't tell you how your body will react without the gallbladder but if it was working for you before stay on it for awhile and see what happens. :smile:
  • monkeyjmonkerson
    Options
    Thanks for posting on this one!! I'm on day 5 and had mine out 2 yrs ago and I've been worrying about it ever since.
    I tried this diet about 3 years ago and it went amazing but then things went sideways.

I get that I'm going to have stay with it because I think there's a gluten insensitivity happening here too.

Hooray! Answers and fellow ketos!!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi. I too have no gallbladder....I find that sometimes I'm fine, and sometimes not so much...and I can eat the same thing two days in a row and have a different reaction...which makes me kind of sad, because routine makes my life much easier. After some reading, and suggestions on another keto board...I've ordered some digestive enzymes that I am hoping will help me better break down and digest the foods I eat.
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I am reading "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" and they were just talking about gallbladder- from what I remember it's a buildup of some substance in the blood that is associated with weight loss- if you lose a lot of weight rapidly, your body has less time to process it, and it can cause problems. But- I think- it's typically people who don't consume enough fat that really end up with issues. I know I've seen the warning several times that eating less than 30 grams of fat a day can lead to gallstones. That's all I remember.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options