Living the Lifestyle - Friday, 8/26/16

Options
jbrack381us
jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- GadgetGirlIL (Regina)
Tuesday -- goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Wednesday -- Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Thursday -- misterhub (Greg)
Friday -- Jbrack381us (Joe)

Topic: What I did over summer vacation because of my WL...

For those of us losing weight, is there something or some activity that happened that you were now able to do because your weight loss made it possible?

For those who are more on the maintenance side, is their some activity you have now been able to enjoy (or enjoy more) during the summers since you lost the wgt that may not have been possible previously?

Replies

• jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Off the top of my head...

Able to wear smaller sized clothes that were sitting in my closet.
    Able to buckle my seatbelt on certain airplanes (not all, not yet, but I will get there)
    Take up starting C25K again
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Hilly bike rides!
    Long hikes
    Long runs
    Working in my flower beds
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Even at my heaviest I was very active, so that hasn't changed due to WL. What has changed is how much easier it is to buy clothes for those activities. Makes a world of difference to be able to wear "normal" size athletic and casual clothing!
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Bought a new bathing suit in 20 minutes or less, I was looking for workout clothing at a discount store (Marshall's I think over lunch time) and I walked by a bathing suit that had a nice color/pattern, I looked at it, liked it and saw it was my size. I tried it on, loved it and bought it. Never had such a painless bathing suit buying experience. And to top it off my DH thought it looked perfect too.

This summer I stayed active running (or walking on super humid days) now I have to conquer staying active in the winter. :)
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,023 Member
    Options
    Walking on the beach without a shirt (and feeling comfortable doing it) has been something I've enjoyed on summer vacations since losing weight.

On the more "active" side, I started running since losing weight. I certainly could have taken up running when I was heavier, but it is something I've enjoyed while on summer vacations (it's fun to run in new areas).
  • spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Walking on the beach without a shirt (and feeling comfortable doing it) has been something I've enjoyed on summer vacations since losing weight.

My goal for next summer!!!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,039 Member
    Options
    Just able to work harder because I feel better. In Real Estate so this is our busy time of the year. Biggest thing is being able to walk faster and further. Don't know I'll ever be able to walk the beach without a shirt again. When I hit goal I'll have so much lose skin I can't imagine it being a very pretty sight. Worry about that when it gets here.☺
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I've gotten to a level of fitness now where I can go to a 2 hour grappling (wrestling/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) class in the morning and still have enough energy to go on a long bike ride with my significant other or a long walk with the dog in the evenings. My fitness level no longer limits my choice of hobbies or weekend activities and I love it!
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,976 Member
    Options
    I love to hike in the mountains. Just this week I did an 18-mile day hike, with 5,000 feet of climbing. Before my weight loss, walking around the block would have gassed me.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Tying my shoes without taking a break to catch my breath.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Here in the desert, we just try to survive the heat of the summer and usually take our vacation in the spring or fall. This year, we're headed to Sandals Grande Antiqua for TWO WEEKS in October. I plan on doing lots of things that the last time I took a beach vacation I was too uncomfortable or too embarrassed about my size to do. Like snorkeling, wearing a lot less clothing in general, walking on the beach, heck, even fitting into the plane seat will be easier. SIX more weeks to go and I'm working as hard as I can to get a few more pounds off before then. Heading off now for another round of weight training - my arms are going to look a lot better in something sleeveless (another thing I wouldn't wear last beach holiday because my arms were huge). I am down 65 pounds since the last trip. Maybe I even try to limbo!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Added walking one mile in my neighborhood. Stopped during oppressive heat/humidity but looking forward to resuming it soon.

Signed up for a kayak lesson on 17 Sept.

Attended 50th HS Reunion. I'm sure I would not have done that at 376# three years ago.

Bought some button down Hawaiian type shirts.

Bought a size Large shirt! NO X on the label!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm able to enjoy summer more!

In my previous life with an additional 80 pounds, I really dreaded the hot, humid weather. It would totally zap my energy and make me cranky overall.

I'm still not a huge hot weather fan, but I can deal with it much better now. I've taken my focus off eating by doing more photography. Hiking into places and standing while I wait for some action to happen is a lot easier and more comfortable now that I weigh less!