Cauliflower question for you cooks

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
So far I have only used cauliflower in mac and cheese type dishes. Would it work for Italian-style stuff too? I'm just not sure about cauliflower with pasta sauce, but my pinterest page is just filled with pasta dishes today and it got me wondering.

Replies

• CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried riced cauliflower in any Italian-style dishes, but I really like florets with a little pasta sauce and melted mozzarella. I bet it would be great in a dish with sausage or meatballs. The only thing I would caution is to cook it separately and then add the sauce, cheese, etc and just broil to melt it all together. I recently put a bag of frozen cauliflower in a crock-pot beef stew and it dissolved entirely. Made a great thickener, but it wasn't exactly what I was going for.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My favorite veg with pasta sauce is spaghetti squash. My favorite way to cook cauliflower is roasted. I think it would be ok with pasta sauce but would probably do bite sized florets versus riced. To me, iced cauliflower loses all it good cauliflower taste.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Love roasted cauliflower yummy kalyns kitchen has loads of cauliflower recipes you might find something new there :)
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been using cauliflower a lot this week. Cheese soup thickener, Pizza Crust base, riced. But I didn't use it for the Low carb lasagna I made. For that I used zucchini. It was delicious.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not sure about using cauliflower for Italian - I haven't tried it. I typically use zucchini, eggplant, and/or spaghetti squash with Italian.

Do you like Indian food? Cauliflower is great in Indian cuisine, and I love it roasted with a mixture of yogurt and curry spices.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ditto on roasting cauliflower. I had to put in some serious work when I first married Mr. Meatandpotatoes; roasted veggies were my best helpers. Cauliflower, onions, green beans, tomatoes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts .... they call gain taste and texture when roasted at high heat.

Zucchini is still a work in progress.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    zucchini benefits from high heat too. I often cut them like you would cut bits of wood off a stick (pencil cut, this is called, I think), make sure they're dry, then sautee them on very high heat in a skillet, with olive oil and salt (I put the salt into the olive oil, and sometimes also spices like whole cumin, chili flakes, which I first let brown, then add the zucchini.)

one trick I use to spice up any Indian type dish is to melt a tablespoon of butter or ghee in a small saucepan, add cumin seeds, a dry chili, let those brown, then chuck the whole thing over the Indian dish I'm cooking just before serving, and stir everything together, then press some lemon juice over it and serve. That's a Bengali trick I learned and it works with a variety of dishes. I even make tomato salad that way, also adding frozen kafir lime leaves and lots of lemon juice, salt and pepper.

this is called "chaunk" or "tadka"

often I will just sautee cauliflower florets with ginger, some dried chili and salt until tender, make a chaunk and mix that in

you can do the chaunk trick with egg as well, but since I don't eat that or cook that, I've never tried it

• lodro
    edited August 2016
    Options
    In winter I often make Aligot, a recipe from the Aveyron, France. This is a potato/cheese/cream dish with a consistency between mash and a ragout, which I make with cauliflower instead of potato:

(bloemkool, rauw = raw cauliflower)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/265153621691645
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love it roasted too...but recently discovered mashed cauliflower that is pretty close in texture to mashed potatoes. My kids disagree but after a year keto I have no idea what potatoes taste like anymore so its good enough for me! recipe is here: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/07/mashed-cauliflower/
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    In winter I often make Aligot, a recipe from the Aveyron, France. This is a potato/cheese/cream dish with a consistency between mash and a ragout, which I make with cauliflower instead of potato:

Your link just takes me to My recipes, lol
  • lodro
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

Your link just takes me to My recipes, lol

sorry about that:

blanch 250g cauliflower until tender
    mash to a smooth texture using a stick blender
    stir in 150g nice cheese in very small cubes or grated ( i use reblochon, because it's traditional, but you can use any hard cheese)
    add 125 ml of creme fraiche
    salt and pepper to taste

this is enough for 3 - 4 people, it's incredibly filling.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Cauli is awesome for Italian.... also if you want to take away the brassica taste just cook it in a milk & water mixture, 1 part milk to 4 parts water is fine. Takes any 'off' flavour away. This also works well if you want to thaw fish - do it in the same milk water ratio and NO fishy taste AT ALL.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Cauli is awesome for Italian.... also if you want to take away the brassica taste just cook it in a milk & water mixture, 1 part milk to 4 parts water is fine. Takes any 'off' flavour away. This also works well if you want to thaw fish - do it in the same milk water ratio and NO fishy taste AT ALL.

Che miracolo!

Really? That is a fantastic tip.... Where, o where have I been ????
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. Tons of great ideas!! Thank you all!